Author Topic: A. Sherrod Blakely: Pelicans could be in play for Rondo  (Read 18719 times)

Re: A. Sherrod Blakely: Pelicans could be in play for Rondo
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Someone who's played more games than a comparative player is at an advantage in field goal percetage simply because he's played more and thus has the better opportunity for a higher field goal percentage. Is this not correct? I could be wrong but common sense would tell me that is correct.
I'm not sure on what level this made sense to you. When you take more shots, you  have a chance to make more and also to miss more.

The only thing that happens with more games is that the resulting shooting percentage is likely closer to the player's true ability, as it is less influenced by fluky streaks of good or poor shooting.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2014, 10:31:20 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I have yet to hear a deal rumored that I would take without reservations, which is probably why no deal has been struck.
+1 to this.

This is probably going to be a quiet deadline.

For Rondo, yes.

I actually think Rondo gets moved by Thursday. There's way too much smoke for there not be a fire.

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 10:31:48 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I have yet to hear a deal rumored that I would take without reservations, which is probably why no deal has been struck.
+1 to this.

For Rondo, yes.

I actually think Rondo gets moved by Thursday. There's way too much smoke for there not be a fire.

By your logic Rondo has been traded several times already in his career.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2014, 10:32:26 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Someone who's played more games than a comparative player is at an advantage in field goal percetage simply because he's played more and thus has the better opportunity for a higher field goal percentage. Is this not correct? I could be wrong but common sense would tell me that is correct.
I'm not sure on what level this made sense to you. When you take more shots, you  have a chance to make more and also to miss more.

The only thing that happens with more games is that the resulting shooting percentage is likely closer to the player's true ability, as it is less influenced by fluky streaks of good or poor shooting.

Ok, I understand. My mistake.

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2014, 10:33:23 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
+1 to this.

For Rondo, yes.

I am just going by all these "rumors" I hear, that's all.

Could be they are all BS, which wouldn't be the first time.

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 10:36:42 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
+1 to this.

For Rondo, yes.

Exactly.

Like Faf said, none of these offers I've seen have been so appealing.  The rumors with Rondo never are.

There's been a ton of rumors over the years.  He just has become a media darling (because hey, the rumors literally put money in these writers pockets because rumors mean page views on their blogs or sites).

I don't doubt there are teams making offers on Rondo.  Rondo is great and if the Kings could get him they should get him.  I just don't think Ainge is trying to trade him.  I'm sure he'd listen to an offer.

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
+1 to this.

For Rondo, yes.

Exactly.

Like Faf said, none of these offers I've seen have been so appealing.  The rumors with Rondo never are.

There's been a ton of rumors over the years.  He just has become a media darling (because hey, the rumors literally put money in these writers pockets because rumors mean page views on their blogs or sites).

I don't doubt there are teams making offers on Rondo.  Rondo is great and if the Kings could get him they should get him.  I just don't think Ainge is trying to trade him.  I'm sure he'd listen to an offer.

I thought I read that the Kings thing didn't happen because Rondo wouldn't sign an extension with them, no?

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Wow, the overvaluing of Rondo continues ???

Don't understand what some see in a point guard that can't shoot.

Guess it's just me.

Btw, Jrue Holiday is a pretty darn good player.

You recognize that Rondo has better career, and better by corresponding age, shooting stats than Holiday, right?  If you think Rondo can't shoot, then you'll love the opportunity to criticize Holiday if he becomes a Celtic.  I'm not saying Rondo is the best shooter ever.  He's not. But he's shown himself to be better than holiday at that.  He's also unequivocally a better passer.  It would be a real downgrade, and not worth it at all if the only thing to make up the difference were Austin Rivers.

Just looked up their career numbers. Granted, stats don't always tell the story, but if the claim being made is that Rondo is a better player than Holliday, I would question that

Career numbers

PPG
Rondo/11 PPG
Holliday/13.5 PPG

FT%
Rondo - 620%
Holliday - 783%

3P%
Rondo - .253%
Holliday - .376%

Field Goal Percantage
Rondo - .480
Holliday - .438
Rondo wins by a bit BUT Rondo has also played 485 career games.
Holiday has played 332. That's AWFULLY close for a guy who's played almost 150 games more than the other.

Assists and rebounds, yes Rondo takes the cake in those two departments.

I guess it's all subjective on what type of point guard you prefer.

But, the numbers dictate Holiday is a superior offensive player.

Rondo's a superior offensive player to Holiday. That's the problem with many of Rondo's detractors, they don't really get that there's sometimes more to a point guard's contribution to an offense than scoring. And how the heck does the number of career games played affect fg%?

I brought this up because considering that Rondo has played over 150 more career games than Holiday, their career field goal percentage is awfully close.

No, that doesn't make sense to me, and .48 to .438 isn't all that close. The difference is over 10%.

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
+1 to this.

For Rondo, yes.

Exactly.

I thought I read that the Kings thing didn't happen because Rondo wouldn't sign an extension with them, no?

I don't believe enough any of this stuff being written to accept that detail as fact.

Woj is the one iron clad source I will pretty much always believe in (even if I don't like him much) and he said he has heard nothing about Rondo on Sirius XM today.

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:11 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
No, that doesn't make sense to me, and .48 to .438 isn't all that close. The difference is over 10%.
I'm not sure Rondo will ever shoot 48% in a season again. The shot selection will be quite different without Pierce, Allen and Garnett.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Wow, the overvaluing of Rondo continues ???

Don't understand what some see in a point guard that can't shoot.

Probably because they've seen the way he can pass and run an offense.

I understand that my thoughts on Rondo as a player is very debatable.

It all depends on what you look for in a point guard.

I prefer a point guard that can offensively take over a game by himself.

Others prefer one who looks to create opportunities for his teammates.

It's all subjective. There's certainly no fact bearing that Holiday is a better player than Rondo and don't mean to slight any Rondo fans.

I just prefer a high scoring point guard, that's all.

Plus admittedly, I remember being pretty impressed with Holiday when he was a Sixer.

And therein lies the rub with Rondo. He is not a premier scorer - never has been, and never will be.

His value lies more in the teammates around him he can supply with the basketball, if said teammates are premier scorers - which none of them are on this basketball team.

And all of Rondo's substantial warts aside, that and that alone is why what value he has will not be maximized for a good while in Boston.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
Wow what is this like the fifth team? I cant wait to see what team is next ;D.

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Jrue Holiday is a solid return if we get someone else other than Austin Rivers. Problem is, they don't have someone or something else.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I wonder if they tried to get Rondo at the draft last year and got turned down and settled for Jrue.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 11:23:15 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Wow what is this like the fifth team? I cant wait to see what team is next ;D.

Any team without a superstar point guard already in place should at least be thinking about it.

Upgrading from Jrue Holiday to Rajon Rondo is like upgrading from Omer Asik to Dwight Howard.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference