Author Topic: A. Sherrod Blakely: Pelicans could be in play for Rondo  (Read 18709 times)

Re: A. Sherrod Blakely: Pelicans could be in play for Rondo
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Wow, the overvaluing of Rondo continues ???

Don't understand what some see in a point guard that can't shoot.

Probably because they've seen the way he can pass and run an offense.

He's a decent rebounder as well :) But yeah that would do it

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 10:00:29 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Probably because they've seen the way he can pass and run an offense. Oh and probably because he can shoot hah

He's a decent rebounder as well :) But yeah that would do it

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Seems to me the blame for rumors like this lies at the feet of Rondo himself. Voicing publicly how cool it might be to try free agency ups the ante for moving him quite a bit.

But of course, we're dealing with a group here who are dusting off a spot for Rondo in Springfield so introspection is asking too much, I suppose.

With that said, the Pelicans don't have a whole lot that interests me. If they can't trade a first, then I'd say they have nothing that interests me.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 10:10:05 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Guess it's just me.

Btw, Jrue Holiday is a pretty darn good player.

You recognize that Rondo has better career, and better by corresponding age, shooting stats than Holiday, right?  If you think Rondo can't shoot, then you'll love the opportunity to criticize Holiday if he becomes a Celtic.  I'm not saying Rondo is the best shooter ever.  He's not. But he's shown himself to be better than holiday at that.  He's also unequivocally a better passer.  It would be a real downgrade, and not worth it at all if the only thing to make up the difference were Austin Rivers.

But are we making decisions based on the past or based on age, potential, and trying our best to forecast the future? Holiday is a way better shooter than Rondo, not even close actually. If it's a system where the PG is dominating the ball then I prefer Rondo, but what about Stevens' motion offense? In that system I do prefer Holiday's skillset.

Is he?  Maybe his shots look prettier.  I grant that he makes more threes and is better at free throws.  But his true shooting and eFG, stats which reward threes and free throws, have been lower at all their corresponding ages.  So maybe holiday is a better shooter, but takes a lot of bad shots (presumably low-percentage 2-point jumpers)?  Is that better than having a lesser shooter who doesn't take bad shots?  I'm not convinced it is.

Someone needs to compare a Rondo and holiday shot chart.  I don't know where to find those.  To me, I'm not convinced I'd rather have Holiday shooting, because the results haven't been all that impressive.

there is NO way, Rondo gets traded for 1 garbage player and a borderline all-star. Rondo is so much better than Holiday and this isn't overvaluing Rondo. Rondo has proven to make his team better and by stats, definitely have better shooting % than Holiday. People are criticizing Rondo's ability to lead a team without the big 3. Fact is, he was already leading the team to success in 2012. Yes, we fell short to the Heat, but Rondo orchestrated the entire offense. You can also argue that Rondo may or may not had helped us in 2013 first round against NY. I firmly believe that if Rondo played, we could've gotten past the Knicks.

This year, we have seen the impact of Rondo coming back from injury. His return had people "worried" that he will mess up our tanking plans. Healthy Rondo is a top 15 player, and definitely a top 2-3 pg in the league. That's not overvaluing, that is fact.

You don't trade an all-star for scrubs

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 10:11:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Seems to me the blame for rumors like this lies at the feet of Rondo himself. Voicing publicly how cool it might be to try free agency ups the ante for moving him quite a bit.

But of course, we're dealing with a group here who are dusting off a spot for Rondo in Springfield so introspection is asking too much, I suppose.

With that said, the Pelicans don't have a whole lot that interests me. If they can't trade a first, then I'd say they have nothing that interests me.

What Rondo said is probably pretty typical, as has been noted PP said the exact same thing. It's true that the blame for these rumors lies directly at the feet of Rondo, his level of play is directly related to his being highly sought after.

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 10:12:10 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Guess it's just me.

You recognize that Rondo has better career, and better by corresponding age, shooting stats than Holiday, right?  If you think Rondo can't shoot, then you'll love the opportunity to criticize Holiday if he becomes a Celtic.  I'm not saying Rondo is the best shooter ever.  He's not. But he's shown himself to be better than holiday at that.  He's also unequivocally a better passer.  It would be a real downgrade, and not worth it at all if the only thing to make up the difference were Austin Rivers.

Just looked up their career numbers. Granted, stats don't always tell the story, but if the claim being made is that Rondo is a better player than Holliday, I would question that

Career numbers

PPG
Rondo/11 PPG
Holliday/13.5 PPG

FT%
Rondo - 620%
Holliday - 783%

3P%
Rondo - .253%
Holliday - .376%

Field Goal Percantage
Rondo - .480
Holliday - .438
Rondo wins by a bit BUT Rondo has also played 485 career games.
Holiday has played 332. That's AWFULLY close for a guy who's played almost 150 games more than the other.

Assists and rebounds, yes Rondo takes the cake in those two departments.

I guess it's all subjective on what type of point guard you prefer.

But, the numbers dictate Holiday is a superior offensive player.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

What Rondo said is probably pretty typical, as has been noted PP said the exact same thing. It's true that the blame for these rumors lies directly at the feet of Rondo, his level of play is directly related to his being highly sought after.
And the team's level of play, if we're a contender setup for the future its not nearly as big a deal. But we're not so he's being shopping/sought after.

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would want Holiday, Rivers and at least one first round pick. Their pick is top five protected this year, so if they are able to retain it via luck in the draft lottery then I would deal Jrue, Rivers and a top 3 pick for Rondo but at that point they probably just would keep the top 3 pick (the pick is top 3 protected but since they are not one of the two worst teams if they are in the top 5 it will have to be a top 3 pick where they moved up via the lottery)

I have yet to hear a deal rumored that I would take without reservations, which is probably why no deal has been struck.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 10:16:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Probably because they've seen the way he can pass and run an offense.

I understand that my thoughts on Rondo as a player is very debatable.

It all depends on what you look for in a point guard.

I prefer a point guard that can offensively take over a game by himself.

Others prefer one who looks to create opportunities for his teammates.

It's all subjective. There's certainly no fact bearing that Holiday is a better player than Rondo and don't mean to slight any Rondo fans.

I just prefer a high scoring point guard, that's all.

Plus admittedly, I remember being pretty impressed with Holiday when he was a Sixer.

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Guess it's just me.

Just looked up their career numbers. Granted, stats don't always tell the story, but if the claim being made is that Rondo is a better player than Holliday, I would question that

Career numbers

PPG
Rondo/11 PPG
Holliday/13.5 PPG

FT%
Rondo - 620%
Holliday - 783%

3P%
Rondo - .253%
Holliday - .376%

Field Goal Percantage
Rondo - .480
Holliday - .438
Holiday has played 332. That's AWFULLY close for a guy who's played almost 150 games more than the other.

Rondo's a superior offensive player to Holiday. That's the problem with many of Rondo's detractors, they don't really get that there's sometimes more to a point guard's contribution to an offense than scoring. And how the heck does the number of career games played affect fg%?

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm not sure what numbers you're looking at:

http://bkref.com/tiny/YijkA

Holiday has a lower eFG%, TS%, and offensive rating than Rondo for their careers.

He scores 2 more points because he shoots more for his career, not surprising Rondo had two other wing players to shoot a lot and Holiday's been the lead guard for more of his career.

Holiday is a lot younger, which is pretty much his only advantage on Rondo.

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Guess it's just me.

Career numbers

PPG
Rondo/11 PPG
Holliday/13.5 PPG

FT%
Rondo - 620%
Holliday - 783%

3P%
Rondo - .253%
Holliday - .376%

Field Goal Percantage
Rondo - .480
Holliday - .438

Rondo's a superior offensive player to Holiday. That's the problem with many of Rondo's detractors, they don't really get that there's sometimes more to a point guard's contribution to an offense than scoring. And how the heck does the number of career games played affect fg%?

Rondo is a better player overrall than Holliday.  He has a bigger overall impact on the team.  But Holiday is still very good.  I would actually give Holiday the edge defensively (the accolades haven't caught up with him, because he hasn't been on the great defensive teams Rondo has, but he is a beast defensively), and Holiday is a much better shooter, but Rondo is a better all-around offensive player.

Honestly, I think Holiday is best suited to be playing off the ball at least part of the time.  He can run an offense OK, but decision-making is not a strong suit, but he can be a really good shooter and scorer playing off another ball-handler. 

I think Holiday could be an easier player to actually build with (not aroung) than Rondo, just because I think Holiday will be easier to mesh into a system.  Rondo really needs to the system built around him to be the most effective. 

Ultimately, I think Rondo is definitely the better player, and you would need something more significant than Rivers to downgrade to Holiday...but if you can get something more significant than that, then I would definitely be open to it.

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 10:23:20 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Guess it's just me.

Career numbers

PPG
Rondo/11 PPG
Holliday/13.5 PPG

FT%
Rondo - 620%
Holliday - 783%

3P%
Rondo - .253%
Holliday - .376%

Field Goal Percantage
Rondo - .480
Holliday - .438

Someone who's played more games than a comparative player is at an advantage in field goal percetage simply because he's played more and thus has the better opportunity for a higher field goal percentage. Is this not correct? I could be wrong but common sense would tell me that is correct.

I brought this up because considering that Rondo has played over 150 more career games than Holiday, their career field goal percentage is awfully close.

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I have yet to hear a deal rumored that I would take without reservations, which is probably why no deal has been struck.
+1 to this.

This is probably going to be a quiet deadline.

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
+1 to this.

This is probably going to be a quiet deadline.

For Rondo, yes.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford