Author Topic: A. Sherrod Blakely: Pelicans could be in play for Rondo  (Read 18711 times)

Re: A. Sherrod Blakely: Pelicans could be in play for Rondo
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:11:49 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Someone needs to compare a Rondo and holiday shot chart.  I don't know where to find those.  To me, I'm not convinced I'd rather have Holiday shooting, because the results haven't been all that impressive.
Basketball-Reference.

Holliday is a pretty decent shooter from 10-16 feet. Rondo is an underappreciated shooter on long jumpers (16 feet up to the three). Holliday has legitimate three-point range -- Rondo may yet develop this, but the jury is still out.

I'm less concerned about Rondo's jump shooting -- but his free throw ability seemingly isn't getting any better.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 09:12:44 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Ugh--let's just hope Blakely is going on two-year-old information regarding Rivers and it is no longer operative.

(Or maybe Danny's doing Doc a favor by floating fake interest in Austin?)

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Sign me up,

I'm a big Rondo fan but a straight up trade of Holiday would be hard to turn down. Add any value even a struggling rivers and the Cs should say yes. Holiday is young, productive and have great size for a PG. At only 23 the window to win with Holiday expands years past rondo's. He could be a better option to grow with a potential 2014 pick due to his age. I also think building around Holidays more traditional offensive skill set will be easier (better shooter).
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 09:23:17 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
i like both rondo and holiday (and i'm pretty sure i have a higher opinion of holiday than a lot of other posters on this thread), but with no picks or promising players coming in, this trade sounds like just a lateral move.

i think i'd pass.
- LilRip

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Someone needs to compare a Rondo and holiday shot chart.  I don't know where to find those.  To me, I'm not convinced I'd rather have Holiday shooting, because the results haven't been all that impressive.
Basketball-Reference.

Holliday is a pretty decent shooter from 10-16 feet. Rondo is an underappreciated shooter on long jumpers (16 feet up to the three). Holliday has legitimate three-point range -- Rondo may yet develop this, but the jury is still out.

I'm less concerned about Rondo's jump shooting -- but his free throw ability seemingly isn't getting any better.

I don't think we've really seen him at the free throw line since he's been back. I think I can only recall maybe 2 times. Are you talking about his shooting ability or ability to get to the line?

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Basketball-Reference.

I don't think we've really seen him at the free throw line since he's been back. I think I can only recall maybe 2 times. Are you talking about his shooting ability or ability to get to the line?
He's taken 6 FTAs, made 3.

So given the small sample size we can't say much of anything about his free ability changing, it probably hasn't.

His ability to get to the line has been basically a big fat zero is pretty concerning.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 09:30:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I just don't get why this trade wasn't made last year at the draft.  Boston could have picked up Noel and New Orleans pick this year for Rondo, which would have been solid value.  Boston (with Noel and no Rondo) then probably doesn't take Olynyk and a guy like Giannis Antetokounmpo makes a lot more sense.  Then the go forward lineup is Noel, Sullinger, Antetokounmpo, Bradley, ? with their own very high pick, the New Orleans pick, and the Brooklyn pick all in the 2014 draft (assuming the Brooklyn and Clippers deals are still made, which I don't see why they wouldn't be).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 09:31:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I just don't get why this trade wasn't made last year at the draft.  Boston could have picked up Noel and New Orleans pick this year for Rondo, which would have been solid value.  Boston (with Noel and no Rondo) then probably doesn't take Olynyk and a guy like Giannis Antetokounmpo makes a lot more sense.  Then the go forward lineup is Noel, Sullinger, Antetokounmpo, Bradley, ? with their own very high pick, the New Orleans pick, and the Brooklyn pick all in the 2014 draft (assuming the Brooklyn and Clippers deals are still made, which I don't see why they wouldn't be).
Because Rondo had torn his ACL, the NOP wanted to make a playoff push when they went and got Holiday and Evans.

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 09:39:42 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
It's not hard to believe NOLA is interested in Rondo.

It's hard to believe Ainge would accept a package Jrue (who I like) and Austin Rivers. And New Orleans' can't trade a 1st until 2016, I believe.

Another Sherod "might" / "could" / "don't be surprised if" rumor. Granted it's likely a little challenging to 'break' a trade story as an employee of CSNNE, but does this dude ever bring any real info to the table?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Wow, the overvaluing of Rondo continues ???

Don't understand what some see in a point guard that can't shoot.

Guess it's just me.

Btw, Jrue Holiday is a pretty darn good player.

It's possible to win a championship with a point guard that can't shoot. For example Isiah Thomas, Jason Kidd, Avery Johnson, Rajon Rondo...

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

honestly, that scenario you just described would've been a pretty great scenario. Woohoo! Youth movement! Won't win a lot of games, but the future would be very bright.
- LilRip

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Basketball-Reference.

He's taken 6 FTAs, made 3.

So given the small sample size we can't say much of anything about his free ability changing, it probably hasn't.

His ability to get to the line has been basically a big fat zero is pretty concerning.

That's way more time than I thought. I think the couple of times that I remember him going was in Miami when he had that horrible shooting night.

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Disclaimer:
Yes, it's Blakely, but I figured I'd post it regardless since I didn't see it posted.

Paraphrasing here, but on CSNNE he said that several people have told him to watch New Orleans as a potential landing spot for Rondo. He said the Pelicans could give back Jrue Holiday and a player Ainge has been very fond of in Austin Rivers.

ugh Blakely is such a joke... there's been no proof that DA is fond of Rivers since he supposedly was during the 2012 draft, and why should he the guys a flat out bust??

Holiday is dealing with injuries, why would we trade an all star pg who we just got healthy with a proven playoff track record for an unproven one time all star who can't stay on the court?

This is another one of those trades that would only make sense if NOLA had an unprotected 2014 first to throw our way... which they DON'T. I'd take that fake Suns/Lakers/Celts rumor as having more traction over this joker

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Guess it's just me.

Btw, Jrue Holiday is a pretty darn good player.

You recognize that Rondo has better career, and better by corresponding age, shooting stats than Holiday, right?  If you think Rondo can't shoot, then you'll love the opportunity to criticize Holiday if he becomes a Celtic.  I'm not saying Rondo is the best shooter ever.  He's not. But he's shown himself to be better than holiday at that.  He's also unequivocally a better passer.  It would be a real downgrade, and not worth it at all if the only thing to make up the difference were Austin Rivers.

But are we making decisions based on the past or based on age, potential, and trying our best to forecast the future? Holiday is a way better shooter than Rondo, not even close actually. If it's a system where the PG is dominating the ball then I prefer Rondo, but what about Stevens' motion offense? In that system I do prefer Holiday's skillset.
He's a better three point shooter and foul shooter but not by enough that it changes the game. He's not Chris Paul or even Deron when it comes to jumpshooting.

Similar to Rondo he doesn't get to the line and he's actually a lower eFG% guy than Rondo despite his 3 point shooting. He's about 2% higher eFG% on jumpshots (not much given his advantage from deep) and a good deal worse at the rim.

And again he's not a piece that really accelerates a rebuild. Unless Danny is desperate to move Rondo like he was Antoine I don't see him being a key piece coming back.

Presumably there'd be a pick in there too, but Jrue is a better store of value than Rondo, given Rondo's stated interest in going to FA in 16 months, even though his pure playing value may not be as high as Rondo's.

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Probably because they've seen the way he can pass and run an offense.