Author Topic: A. Sherrod Blakely: Pelicans could be in play for Rondo  (Read 18656 times)

A. Sherrod Blakely: Pelicans could be in play for Rondo
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:54:58 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Disclaimer:
Yes, it's Blakely, but I figured I'd post it regardless since I didn't see it posted.

Paraphrasing here, but on CSNNE he said that several people have told him to watch New Orleans as a potential landing spot for Rondo. He said the Pelicans could give back Jrue Holiday and a player Ainge has been very fond of in Austin Rivers.

Re: A. Sherrod Blakely: Pelicans could be in play for Rondo
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:02:03 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We are the ones that need Davis ....we have a Rondo

Forget Rivers .......super bust ......worthless......doc don't even want his kid on the Clippers

And what has Holiday done to,set the world on fire ......too funny Holiday for Rondo......what a laugh.

Without a top five lottery pic this is total rubbish

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 08:02:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Given Rivers meh performance I can't see that deal happening. Now if they had the two picks they gave up for holiday I think we'd talk.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:05:13 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I just can't imagine the Pelicans giving up Holiday + assets to get Rondo when they already gave up so much to get Holiday.

Unless they think they can just flip Holiday and a minor piece (e.g. Rivers) for Rondo.  In which case . . . hah.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
We are the ones that need Davis ....we have a Rondo

Forget Rivers .......super bust ......worthless......doc don't even want his kid on the Clippers

And what has Holiday done to,set the world on fire ......too funny Holiday for Rondo......what a laugh.

Without a top five lottery pic this is total rubbish

Let's not forget that Holiday is a very talented young player (still only 23), was an all-star last year, and is signed for a reasonable contract, all thing considered, for several years. Plus, I do think his good shooting ability and range would be a pretty good fit in Stevens' system.

Rivers has been a disappointment, sure. But he's also not getting much playing time with Gordon and Evans also in the fray. Not much risk in acquiring him. He's under his rookie deal and if he improves with a change of scenery then perfect.

I do want more though. I'd like to at least be able to swap picks, since their picks are tied up, and be able to move Bass for expirings.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:13:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Holiday was an all-star because of a hot first half. He hasn't ever hit that level of play before or since. Even his hot was pretty meh but it was the east and the 76ers were leading the division for much of the first half.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 08:16:28 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow, the overvaluing of Rondo continues ???

Don't understand what some see in a point guard that can't shoot.

Guess it's just me.

Btw, Jrue Holiday is a pretty darn good player.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 08:16:59 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Holiday was an all-star because of a hot first half. He hasn't ever hit that level of play before or since. Even his hot was pretty meh but it was the east and the 76ers were leading the division for much of the first half.

If I'm not mistaken, he was also only added to the All-star team as an injury replacement for Rondo.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 08:31:16 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Guess it's just me.

You recognize that Rondo has better career, and better by corresponding age, shooting stats than Holiday, right?  If you think Rondo can't shoot, then you'll love the opportunity to criticize Holiday if he becomes a Celtic.  I'm not saying Rondo is the best shooter ever.  He's not. But he's shown himself to be better than holiday at that.  He's also unequivocally a better passer.  It would be a real downgrade, and not worth it at all if the only thing to make up the difference were Austin Rivers.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

If I'm not mistaken, he was also only added to the All-star team as an injury replacement for Rondo.

No, he was selected. Lopez replaced Rondo.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Guess it's just me.

You recognize that Rondo has better career, and better by corresponding age, shooting stats than Holiday, right?  If you think Rondo can't shoot, then you'll love the opportunity to criticize Holiday if he becomes a Celtic.  I'm not saying Rondo is the best shooter ever.  He's not. But he's shown himself to be better than holiday at that.  He's also unequivocally a better passer.  It would be a real downgrade, and not worth it at all if the only thing to make up the difference were Austin Rivers.

But are we making decisions based on the past or based on age, potential, and trying our best to forecast the future? Holiday is a way better shooter than Rondo, not even close actually. If it's a system where the PG is dominating the ball then I prefer Rondo, but what about Stevens' motion offense? In that system I do prefer Holiday's skillset.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the difference in talent between Rondo and Holiday is a lot bigger than Austin Rivers.  They should be paying us to take Rivers off their hands.  if the kid had a different last name he'd have been out of the league faster than JuJuan Johnson

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 08:49:36 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Guess it's just me.

But are we making decisions based on the past or based on age, potential, and trying our best to forecast the future? Holiday is a way better shooter than Rondo, not even close actually. If it's a system where the PG is dominating the ball then I prefer Rondo, but what about Stevens' motion offense? In that system I do prefer Holiday's skillset.

Is he?  Maybe his shots look prettier.  I grant that he makes more threes and is better at free throws.  But his true shooting and eFG, stats which reward threes and free throws, have been lower at all their corresponding ages.  So maybe holiday is a better shooter, but takes a lot of bad shots (presumably low-percentage 2-point jumpers)?  Is that better than having a lesser shooter who doesn't take bad shots?  I'm not convinced it is.

Someone needs to compare a Rondo and holiday shot chart.  I don't know where to find those.  To me, I'm not convinced I'd rather have Holiday shooting, because the results haven't been all that impressive.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 09:01:19 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
(sigh)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Guess it's just me.

He's a better three point shooter and foul shooter but not by enough that it changes the game. He's not Chris Paul or even Deron when it comes to jumpshooting.

Similar to Rondo he doesn't get to the line and he's actually a lower eFG% guy than Rondo despite his 3 point shooting. He's about 2% higher eFG% on jumpshots (not much given his advantage from deep) and a good deal worse at the rim.

And again he's not a piece that really accelerates a rebuild. Unless Danny is desperate to move Rondo like he was Antoine I don't see him being a key piece coming back.