Author Topic: Yahoo Sports rumor: SAC offered IT, McLemore, 2 picks for Rondo  (Read 27811 times)

Re: Yahoo Sports rumor: SAC offered IT, McLemore, 2 picks for Rondo
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 06:53:49 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Can someone confirm the Sacto and Charlotte picks are protected so if the picks are lottery picks then Sacto/charlotte keep them?

bump? Anyone?

Yes.

SAC pick is protected top-12 protected so if SAC's pick falls in the top 12 (likely scenario), then they keep the pick. Same with Charlotte.

The pick can't technically be traded, but on draft night they can draft a player and then trade that players "rights". Similar to what NO did with Jrue Holiday.

Example of draft night trade:

Boston Trades: Rajon Rondo

Sacramento Trades: Ben McLemore and the rights to Jay Leno
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 06:56:25 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Plus McLemore (at 6'5") is yet another relatively undersized shooting guard.

Well that's just not true.

What is not true?  The fact that he is 6'5" or the fact that he's relatively undersized? 

Check for yourself:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mclembe01.html

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ben-McLemore-6258/

McLemore is 6'3" 1/2 without shoes.  6'4" 3/4 with shoes.

Bradley is 6'2" without shoes, 6'3" 1/4 with shoes. 

McLemore is only only 1.5"  taller than Avery Bradley, whom everybody here criticises for being so undersized at SG.   

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Plus McLemore (at 6'5") is yet another relatively undersized shooting guard.

Well that's just not true.

What is not true?  The fact that he is 6'5" or the fact that he's relatively undersized? 

Check for yourself:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mclembe01.html

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ben-McLemore-6258/

McLemore is 6'3" 1/2 without shoes.  6'4" 3/4 with shoes.

Bradley is 6'2" without shoes, 6'3" 1/4 with shoes. 

McLemore is only only 1.5"  taller than Avery Bradley, whom everybody here criticises for being so undersized at SG.   
There's nothing undersized about 6'5 shooting guards. 1.5 inches is a sizable amount in NBA terms.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2014, 07:10:28 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Rondo was an allstar starter before being injured, and is just getting on the mend now.

Injury aside, what return should an allstar starter (and leader in jersey sales) bring in a trade?

Rondo can battle pretty much anyone in the league at his position to a draw, at least.  Let's not be in a hurry to give that up for the uncertainty of draft picks.

Unless it's a top-5 pick, another allstar, or some other sure-thing, just keep #9.

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2014, 12:00:16 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
This trade doesn't sound good for the celtics. As others have said the picks might not start rolling in for 3 more more years from now.

If rondo is going to be traded like this, i think the best way to go about it is on draft day, when the celtics can get a lottery pick plus something else, Jrue holiday style.

But i hope things work out and rondo stays. I love watching him play, and want to see how he takes on his increased responsibility role.

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
If the bit about Rondo not wanting to sign with the Kings is true... I think it's fair to boost my "65% chance Rondo gets traded" to 70%.   You don't get that far along unless both teams are willing to do a trade.  Right?  You don't just call up Rondo and say, "Hey Rondo... we are spit-balling an idea with the Kings.  It's not close to happening or anything... just curious if you are cool with signing there long-term?"

More likely both teams were interested in doing something and Rondo killed it.

Just as likely Danny thought they might offer the moon if they thought they could keep Rondo. That's assuming it's even true.

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2014, 02:58:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If I were Ainge I wouldn't do this trade.

Firstly McLemore looks like an absolute bust right now.  The guy is averaging 8 points, 3 rebounds and 1 assist Per 36 minutes while shooting 35% from the field.  Right now Chris Johnson's production is about double that. Plus McLemore (at 6'5") is yet another relatively undersized shooting guard.

McLemore is 20 years old and off to a weak start to his career.  The fact that he's off to a weak start to his career is the reason why we can even discuss this trade right now.  If McLemore was playing up to his potential, you wouldn't be able to get Rondo for him straight up.

He was thought to be the 2nd best player in the draft heading into it.  Very athletic, nice sized SG with a picture-perfect stroke.  His ceiling is supposed to be Ray Allen.  His worst-case scenario is probably someone like JR Smith.

I always get a kick out of people calling 20 year old kids "busts".

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2014, 03:02:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Firstly McLemore looks like an absolute bust right now.  The guy is averaging 8 points, 3 rebounds and 1 assist Per 36 minutes while shooting 35% from the field.  Right now Chris Johnson's production is about double that. Plus McLemore (at 6'5") is yet another relatively undersized shooting guard.

McLemore is 20 years old and off to a weak start to his career.  The fact that he's off to a weak start to his career is the reason why we can even discuss this trade right now.  If McLemore was playing up to his potential, you wouldn't be able to get Rondo for him straight up.

He was thought to be the 2nd best player in the draft heading into it.  Very athletic, nice sized SG with a picture-perfect stroke.  His ceiling is supposed to be Ray Allen.  His worst-case scenario is probably someone like JR Smith.

An aside, but think about what you just wrote when you talk about how great the next draft is supposed to be.

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2014, 03:04:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I haven't seen any rookie this season I would consider the centerpiece of a Rondo trade.  Sure, they will improve, but as of right now, the potential is too far away from the actual.

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Can someone confirm the Sacto and Charlotte picks are protected so if the picks are lottery picks then Sacto/charlotte keep them?

bump? Anyone?

hellooooooooo
can't the Kings or Bobcats draft for us on draft night with these picks if they stay inside the protection zone?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2014, 03:53:52 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

bump? Anyone?

hellooooooooo
can't the Kings or Bobcats draft for us on draft night with these picks if they stay inside the protection zone?

Yes , that's why nothing is happening with Rondo until draft day, if aat all....

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Why couldnt we do something like:

Rondo
Pressey
Nets/Hawks pick

for

McLemore
Thomas
Gray
Outlaw
top 3 protected 2014, becomes unprotected in 2015
2015, 2017 2nd rounders they owe us become unprotected

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Thomas, McLemore, and 2 picks for Rondo?? I do that in a second
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
I strongly consider it as well if Sacramento's pick is a top three.

As much as it seems that Sac would be giving a lot away in that trade (a decent point guard, a young off guard prospect and a top three pick) the value of Rondo paired with Cousins and Gay would trump it).

For us the deal hinges on how good we think Mclemore will eventually be and how good that tope three pick would be.

If this were a trade that was going to happen I'd also do my best as Gm to see if my own pick could also land in the top three, top five at worst. 

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'm not saying I do the deal, I like Rondo and think we are also maybe one max free agent and another signing away from being very competitive with Rondo in Boston right now.

Let's say we traded for Asik and signed Carmelo as a free agent, traded jeff Green for an off guard, let's say Dion Waiters or Aflalo

Asik / Faverani
Sully / Olynyk
Carmelo / 19th pick this year
Waiters or Aflalo / Bradley
Rondo / Bayless / Pressey

We still have our own lottery pick this year as well - Kyle Anderson, Vonleh, Aaron Gordon?