Author Topic: Yahoo Sports rumor: SAC offered IT, McLemore, 2 picks for Rondo  (Read 27794 times)

Re: Yahoo Sports rumor: SAC offered IT, McLemore, 2 picks for Rondo
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2014, 11:47:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
That;s pretty fair value.

Now does Rondo want to resign in Boston?

Nope. More like he now knows that he can be traded and trusts nobody.

He's always known he can be traded and he's said he wants to stay in Boston.

Tim, with the latest couple of reports it's pretty clear that you were overvaluing Rondo's value around the league. Unless of course 2 1st rd picks is the new going rate for a top 5 player.

I read a report that the price for Rondo was 2 first rounders and a young player close to all-star level. Rondo may or may not get traded but until he does you don't have any real idea of his value around the league. You may not understand that but it's true.

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 11:50:36 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

He has also said that he's looking forward to experiencing UFA, so I think it's fair to say there's been at least a suggestion from him that he'd consider other places.

I think it all comes down to where the team is at a year and change from now.  Ainge may feel that there's a good chance the team is not in a position to be as competitive as Rondo might like by then.  Or maybe he has 100% confidence that the opposite is true.  Hard to say.

It's the same thing PP said when he was a FA. There's obviously no guarantees but he hasn't said anything that's really concerning.

Gotta post this, AGAIN.

http://celticshub.com/2014/01/31/rajon-rondo-on-his-potential-free-agency-it-intrigues-me/
Upon being asked about the report, Rondo responded with a blunt “Already?” to the question about his contract, but saying he had no response to the report.
Things got more interesting from there in the Q-and-A.

Reporter: Is free agency something that intrigues you?

Rondo: “It is.”

Reporter: Something you’ve thought about?

Rondo: “I haven’t thought about it. I’ve just thought about getting my leg as strong as possible, continue to shake off the rust this year and come back even better next.”

What about free agency intrigues you?

“It’s kind of like, I would say, maybe college recruiting. I’m pretty sure a lot more goes into it in the NBA. A lot more money is spent. I’ve heard stories, guys getting called right at midnight. It’s something that I haven’t experienced. I may want to go through it. I haven’t thought about it at all.”

I've seen one poster infer, from a report on this interview, that Rondo was stirring $%&^ (paraphrase), approaching the media for his own gain and thus there's no reason to believe he'll stay, and therefore we must trade him.

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 11:51:31 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I would've done it.

Erm, maybe not. I didn't realize that Sactown didn't have any really fun picks.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If the bit about Rondo not wanting to sign with the Kings is true... I think it's fair to boost my "65% chance Rondo gets traded" to 70%.   You don't get that far along unless both teams are willing to do a trade.  Right?  You don't just call up Rondo and say, "Hey Rondo... we are spit-balling an idea with the Kings.  It's not close to happening or anything... just curious if you are cool with signing there long-term?"

More likely both teams were interested in doing something and Rondo killed it.

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2014, 12:10:49 AM »

Offline sunnyd656

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21

He has also said that he's looking forward to experiencing UFA, so I think it's fair to say there's been at least a suggestion from him that he'd consider other places.

I think it all comes down to where the team is at a year and change from now.  Ainge may feel that there's a good chance the team is not in a position to be as competitive as Rondo might like by then.  Or maybe he has 100% confidence that the opposite is true.  Hard to say.

It's the same thing PP said when he was a FA. There's obviously no guarantees but he hasn't said anything that's really concerning.

Gotta post this, AGAIN.

http://celticshub.com/2014/01/31/rajon-rondo-on-his-potential-free-agency-it-intrigues-me/
Upon being asked about the report, Rondo responded with a blunt “Already?” to the question about his contract, but saying he had no response to the report.
Things got more interesting from there in the Q-and-A.

Reporter: Is free agency something that intrigues you?

Rondo: “It is.”

Reporter: Something you’ve thought about?

Rondo: “I haven’t thought about it. I’ve just thought about getting my leg as strong as possible, continue to shake off the rust this year and come back even better next.”

What about free agency intrigues you?

“It’s kind of like, I would say, maybe college recruiting. I’m pretty sure a lot more goes into it in the NBA. A lot more money is spent. I’ve heard stories, guys getting called right at midnight. It’s something that I haven’t experienced. I may want to go through it. I haven’t thought about it at all.”

I've seen one poster infer, from a report on this interview, that Rondo was stirring $%&^ (paraphrase), approaching the media for his own gain and thus there's no reason to believe he'll stay, and therefore we must trade him.

I agree with this, especially since Pierce said the same thing. It is weird though how Pierce did this thing.....uh..... Paul Pierce Officially Re-Signs With Boston Celtics
  Every year there are 6-7 teams with a lower winning percentage than our current record. I think we've gotten so used to ignoring the bottom feeders since 2008 that we've forgotten how bad some teams are.

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 12:10:50 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
That's not such a bad return except for the quality of the picks. I'd still prefer that any trade for Rondo brings back a player who could potentially be as good.

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 12:20:18 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
This is a pretty good trade for both sides. We'd need the ability to swap for their 2014 pick though with our Brooklyn pick lol. Is that legal?
- LilRip

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 12:34:01 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Interesting tidbit, don't know if it's already been posted:

Jay King ‏@ByJayKing 
The wording on Spears' report has changed, by the way. It now says one pick rather than two, and "discussed" rather than "offered."

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 12:34:47 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I'm glad this trade didn't happen... having Rondo here is worth way more than that return for our franchise. Maybe if there was an unprotected 2014 lotto pick there as well but not without it...

Having Rondo here can easily speed up our rebuild and make us a more attractive option for a FA or getting a trade target to resign (such as KG did because of Ray). People are so quick to want to get rid of this guy it's foolish... only trade him if you're getting a player of better value back (didn't say equal because that would be pointless) and or a pick like the Bucks pick, unprotected, which probably wouldn't happen but then oh well keep him.

Keeping him > trading him. We're not winning that many more games with him based on this roster regardless

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 12:36:29 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
Interesting tidbit, don't know if it's already been posted:

Jay King ‏@ByJayKing 
The wording on Spears' report has changed, by the way. It now says one pick rather than two, and "discussed" rather than "offered."

Would be a highway robbery for the Kings... Trade is definitely not happening you don't just throw out all star talent like that, DA could get a better return if he really wanted to get rid of Rondo

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 12:41:06 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Keeping him > trading him. We're not winning that many more games with him based on this roster regardless

I think this is one of the less-discussed dividing lines on Rondo;

As the best player on a bad team, he may not be on a team that wins very many games at all.  So we don't trade him, right?

So the natural follow up: How desirable is that, for other free agents, to play with a guy who, as the best player on a bad team, might be on a team that, assuming the roster stays pat for two years, might total 45 wins? Is that really what you want, if you're a free agent looking to win?

Seems like a bit of cognitive dissonance that gets swept under the rug, with the caveats that obviously management has a lot to do with it and (direct relationship alert:) no roster really remains the same for that long.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 12:45:22 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley

I think this is one of the less-discussed dividing lines on Rondo;

As the best player on a bad team, he may not be on a team that wins very many games at all.  So we don't trade him, right?

So the natural follow up: How desirable is that, for other free agents, to play with a guy who, as the best player on a bad team, might be on a team that, assuming the roster stays pat for two years, might total 45 wins? Is that really what you want, if you're a free agent looking to win?

Seems like a bit of cognitive dissonance that gets swept under the rug, with the caveats that obviously management has a lot to do with it and (direct relationship alert:) no roster really remains the same for that long.

I get what you're saying but this rosters built to lose... The way I see it, a FA can look at the situation, see Rondo here and other pieces such as Sully and our pick this year and say I can team up with these guys and have a chance to win... at that point DA fills the roster with complementary pieces and we don't have a roster built for a good draft pick.

Having Rondo here makes us a more desirable destination. Melos quoted as wanting to play with him, for example. More extreme example but Lebron and Bosh went to the Heat because they had Wade... that team wasn't winning a ton of games before they arrived, and if they had gotten rid of Wade those guys never would have come. Without him we're honestly no better than the Kings who want him now.

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 02:54:45 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Can someone confirm the Sacto and Charlotte picks are protected so if the picks are lottery picks then Sacto/charlotte keep them?

bump? Anyone?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 03:25:13 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
If I were Ainge I wouldn't do this trade.

Firstly McLemore looks like an absolute bust right now.  The guy is averaging 8 points, 3 rebounds and 1 assist Per 36 minutes while shooting 35% from the field.  Right now Chris Johnson's production is about double that. Plus McLemore (at 6'5") is yet another relatively undersized shooting guard.

Thomas is a good player, but he's also 5'9".  Think about how much we used to get abused on defense when we had Nate Robinson at PG, purely because of his lack of size.  Really not interesting in investing ina 5'9" PG as the future of this team, no matter how good he is.

Finally those picks are probably second rounders.

I'll pass.

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 06:43:09 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Plus McLemore (at 6'5") is yet another relatively undersized shooting guard.

Well that's just not true.