Author Topic: Yahoo Sports rumor: SAC offered IT, McLemore, 2 picks for Rondo  (Read 27812 times)

Re: Yahoo Sports rumor: SAC offered IT, McLemore, 2 picks for Rondo
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2014, 07:40:49 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Danny is lost imo

We all read that he went to watch parker a few weeks ago. And he is not going to trade Rondo unless he gets overpaid. 

Why is he teasing himself then visiting Parker when he will have little to no chance to draft him?

If he wants to try to get him, he needs to clear the roster and thats includes Green, Rondo etc.. If he wants to go to the playoffs, he should concentrate on adding some more players.   He is stuck in the grey area

I disagree with every statement in this post. I can't believe the conclusions you've jumped to regarding Ainge based off of trade rumors, many of which are likely completely made up.

We are probably  going to get crushed in March, and have a decent shot at getting Parker.

According to Bballtim, when Rondo gets healthy soon, we are going to start winning.   We are what, only 3 games away from 8th place.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/schedule

March is just brutal. We'll know better Thursday of course, but I'm banking on a trade that hurts the team short term and torpedo's the season, more so.

how is that brutal??

we play the bulls and raptors 4 times.  knicks, suns and nets twice. It won't be easy, but we could win all of these games.

Chicago's won 15 of their last 22, Toronto's won 19 of their last 29. It's pretty unlikely we'll win all those games.

They are still not okc or the pacers. The raptors are not that great imo. They are overachieving

Obviously they aren't okc or the pacers. They're better than you think they are though.

I know how good they are. They win against the east and cant beat the west. The same story for teams seeded 4-11.

What is your issue btw? Dont you believe in rondo? You dont want to win? 

I thought thats what you wanted

Toronto's 10-12 against the west with wins against OKC, Dal (twice), Memphis and Minny.

As Daniel Moynihan said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2014, 09:05:26 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
To put it as bluntly as possible:

Automatically assuming that a GM isn't lying, and that instead, the journalist (who's job security depends largely on them not just making things up) must be making things up  seems very stupid to me.

The rumor is based on a one sentence blurb in a power ranking column.  It doesn't even directly quote the unnamed source behind the information.  It's not exactly the most reliable information out there.  That doesn't mean Marc Spears is a liar, but it could very well be that he is running with something that is extremely flimsy at best.

As far as sports reporters' job security goes, they cite unnamed sources in rumors that don't come to fruition all the time.  They rarely seem to suffer lasting employment consequences for posting rumors that don't come true.

I can't think of any examples of a major NBA reporter who lost his job over reporting a false rumor.
Just to clarify - all I'm pointing out is that even if you have an unnamed source, you still have to have a source. Otherwise you end up like Jayson Blair.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2014, 09:22:11 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo is not a franchise player. He needs players around him to enhance his talent as JVG mentioned yesterday. If he has that talent around him he's great. The problem is when he doesn't have elite talent around him. He's not a superstar player and certainly not a franchise player so if you can get two picks from anyone for him, take it and run.

If you're trying to build a contender I don't think you could come up with a less important barometer of which players to build around than how well the team performs on teams bereft of talent. If Rondo plays great when he's surrounded by talent and we need to surround him with talent to contend then what's the problem?

Aside from that he plays fine without elite talent, I was just pointing out what a foolish argument that is.

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2014, 09:22:53 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
To put it as bluntly as possible:

Automatically assuming that a GM isn't lying, and that instead, the journalist (who's job security depends largely on them not just making things up) must be making things up  seems very stupid to me.

The rumor is based on a one sentence blurb in a power ranking column.  It doesn't even directly quote the unnamed source behind the information.  It's not exactly the most reliable information out there.  That doesn't mean Marc Spears is a liar, but it could very well be that he is running with something that is extremely flimsy at best.

As far as sports reporters' job security goes, they cite unnamed sources in rumors that don't come to fruition all the time.  They rarely seem to suffer lasting employment consequences for posting rumors that don't come true.

I can't think of any examples of a major NBA reporter who lost his job over reporting a false rumor.
Just to clarify - all I'm pointing out is that even if you have an unnamed source, you still have to have a source. Otherwise you end up like Jayson Blair.

Is it not more like stock tips, with insider rumors, than actual news? Wrong information is not unexpected since it's speculative in nature, and therefore weak sources are still sources in a sense.

Except sports rumors matter much less and therefore even weaker sources and much less filtering is necessary.