Author Topic: Romor:Houston now in mix for Rondo.?  (Read 12764 times)

Re: Romor:Houston now in mix for Rondo.?
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Lin , Asik and a 1st. I think Danny thinks about it hard

I think he hangs up. That's not enough value for Rondo.

That's basically Lin, Asik and a late first. Unless he has a Lex Luthor type plan of stealing a superstar talent in pick 25, he will say "no thanks."

I'm not saying I would do this deal, but I think you are totally overvaluing Rondo here. He's a mid-career PG coming off major knee surgery who has peaked, has flaws in his game, and will demand a max deal after next season. We are not getting an all-star for him, and I'm guessing Ainge has already privately decided he won't re-sign him to a max deal either.

Im with Yoki on this one. Theres no way that is equal value to what Rondo brings to the table.  I have trouble with people believe Rondo is basically over the hump and washed up. He is 27 freakin years old about to enter 5 to 6 years of his prime and after surgery while he is still sluggish he is averaging 10, 7, and 5.

Just like Perk and Tony Allen hit their primes after Danny decided he didn't want to pay them and they dominated? Rondo is obviously better than them, but not worth what some people on here think.

It's not true that Danny didn't want to pay TA and it's also fairly obvious that he's had his best years as a player on Memphis. Rondo's worth pretty much the same amount as any other player who dominates in the playoffs when healthy and has led teams on deep playoff runs.

Ainge has been right on every call so far when deciding to pay his players the money they want. Posey sucked after getting a large contract to leave boston. Tony Allen has been a career bench player who wanted starters minutes and money. Perk is a deep bench player who is barely still in the league after his large contract. I trust Ainge in his upcoming evaluation of what to do with Rondo long term, and it is highly unlikely to be a max deal to stay in Boston unless we somehow get 2 other superstars to put with him before then end of next season.

Danny himself said that he didn't want to let TA go but he didn't get a chance to make another offer before TA went to Memphis.

and doesn't Tony claimed he gave Danny a chance to match and Danny thought he was bluffing? not that it matters, TA left on a contract that was great for whatever team got him. he went on to play all NBA defense multiple times and developed a somewhat consistent 3 point shot. he also was on the high end for FT% among today's players.

really for his first 2-3 years in Memphis TA played about as well as Bruce Bowen(in fact they have incredibly similar games) played in his best 2-3 years with the Spurs and that is great.

All the reasoning in this pile aside...

Are we really comparing Rondo's impact in the game to TA's and Perk's?

I agree that Danny is right not overpaying for those two. But Rondo is a different case. Rondo is an All Star talent, not a Dwight stopper or a defender but no offense player.

You pay the best players top dollar. Paying TA and Perk the money they asked for is not a smart decision. Paying Rondo the max is a bit overpaying but you know what you're getting, a top 10 PG.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 11:22:59 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
TA's contract I'm fine with. Perk was heavily overpaid, especially considering what he's done since. Sorry.

Anyways, yea, I don't think this stuff with Houston has any true traction.

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 11:32:36 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

That's basically Lin, Asik and a late first. Unless he has a Lex Luthor type plan of stealing a superstar talent in pick 25, he will say "no thanks."

I'm not saying I would do this deal, but I think you are totally overvaluing Rondo here. He's a mid-career PG coming off major knee surgery who has peaked, has flaws in his game, and will demand a max deal after next season. We are not getting an all-star for him, and I'm guessing Ainge has already privately decided he won't re-sign him to a max deal either.

Im with Yoki on this one. Theres no way that is equal value to what Rondo brings to the table.  I have trouble with people believe Rondo is basically over the hump and washed up. He is 27 freakin years old about to enter 5 to 6 years of his prime and after surgery while he is still sluggish he is averaging 10, 7, and 5.

Just like Perk and Tony Allen hit their primes after Danny decided he didn't want to pay them and they dominated? Rondo is obviously better than them, but not worth what some people on here think.

It's not true that Danny didn't want to pay TA and it's also fairly obvious that he's had his best years as a player on Memphis. Rondo's worth pretty much the same amount as any other player who dominates in the playoffs when healthy and has led teams on deep playoff runs.

Ainge has been right on every call so far when deciding to pay his players the money they want. Posey sucked after getting a large contract to leave boston. Tony Allen has been a career bench player who wanted starters minutes and money. Perk is a deep bench player who is barely still in the league after his large contract. I trust Ainge in his upcoming evaluation of what to do with Rondo long term, and it is highly unlikely to be a max deal to stay in Boston unless we somehow get 2 other superstars to put with him before then end of next season.

Danny himself said that he didn't want to let TA go but he didn't get a chance to make another offer before TA went to Memphis.

and doesn't Tony claimed he gave Danny a chance to match and Danny thought he was bluffing? not that it matters, TA left on a contract that was great for whatever team got him. he went on to play all NBA defense multiple times and developed a somewhat consistent 3 point shot. he also was on the high end for FT% among today's players.

really for his first 2-3 years in Memphis TA played about as well as Bruce Bowen(in fact they have incredibly similar games) played in his best 2-3 years with the Spurs and that is great.

All the reasoning in this pile aside...

Are we really comparing Rondo's impact in the game to TA's and Perk's?

I agree that Danny is right not overpaying for those two. But Rondo is a different case. Rondo is an All Star talent, not a Dwight stopper or a defender but no offense player.

You pay the best players top dollar. Paying TA and Perk the money they asked for is not a smart decision. Paying Rondo the max is a bit overpaying but you know what you're getting, a top 10 PG.

Someone yesterday compared Rondo to Perk and Derek......Fisher.

Earlier someone compared Rondo to Chalmers.

It's some pretty fantastic stuff.

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm having a hard time finding realistic scenarios (ie Houston not taking Wallace) that would work.  Maybe this with a 1st thrown in?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lpw772e

If we took on Lin as well, maaaaybe they'd swallow Wallace's deal?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kknzzsd

But then Houston's down to one PG, and we can't include Bayless.  EDIT:  Suppose we could take Beverley off their side, but I really like Beverly   >:( 

Seems like there'd have to be a 3rd team in there somewhere to make it feasible.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:48:11 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2014, 12:44:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
High end FT% TA? He's shot:

Basically erraticly bouncing around his career average of 74%. Basically what he did in Boston too.

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 03:29:48 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
There are really only two player on the Houston roster that I would even THINK about trading Rondo for, and they are Dwight Howard and James Harden. 

The chance of Houston doing either?  Absolutely zero.

Nothing to see here.

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 05:29:31 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
There are really only two player on the Houston roster that I would even THINK about trading Rondo for, and they are Dwight Howard and James Harden. 

The chance of Houston doing either?  Absolutely zero.

Nothing to see here.
Thanks Ainge, guys lets close this thread.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 06:16:00 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Respectfully disagree. You will not find a better deal for Rondo. Take it and run!

Respectfully, you have no idea what teams are offering for Rondo. In particular, that's a frighteningly bad deal for Rondo. Asik and Lin will make a combined $30M next year. That's roughly what Paul George and Roy Hibbert will combine for. If we just traded expirings for those two we should get a draft pick. You're basically throwing in Rondo for free.

I just don't think it's a bad deal. Asik is a decent center which could be a key part of our future. Lin is just in (little poetry there) to match salaries. After next year, he's gone.

Plus, if the idea is to create cap space for 2015, this does it. Even better if Rockets can take either Wallace or Green of our hands.

I am just having a hard time imagining that another team is going to knock our socks off with a deal for Rondo.

Especially where he's coming off a bad injury and only has a year and a half left on his current deal.

This is a HORRIBLE deal for Rondo. 

Even if the Rockets were offering that package for Jeff Green and Avery Bradley I'd turn it down, let alone for Rondo!

You guys talk about Rondo as if he has zero value - as if he has such a horrible contract and is such a cancer to the team that we should take ANYTHING back just to get rid of him.

Rondo when healthy he is easilly a top 10 PG, more like top 5.  You could even make an argument for top 2 because Chris Paul is really the only PG in the game who is clearly a level above him. 

Lyn and Asik are right on the border line of being really mediocre starters or being really good bench players. If you had both of those guys starting on your team, they'd be ranked among the 5 worst starters in the league at their position.  You are going to take THAT back for a guy as good as Rondo?

How about this for an idea - if you can't get get fair value back for Rondo, keep him!  Remember the whole idea of a trade is to make a move that improves your team either now or in the future.  Trading Rondo for Asik and Lyn achieves neither.  They both have horrible contracts that end the same time as Rondo's, so there is absolutely zero benefit.

If DA made that trade I would never watch a Boston game again, and DA would be the absolute laughing stock of the NBA.  That is far, far more lopsided than the Laker's famous Gasol-for-Gasol trade ever was.

It's also funny how people here talk about Rondo as if he's old and washed up, then they talk about Asik as if he's a 'piece for the future'.  Asik is just as old as Rondo, and has absolutely zero upside!!!

Even in his current physical state Rondo is still averaging 13 points, 9.5 assists, 6.3 rebounds and 1.9 steals per 36 minutes.  If Lyn put up numbers like that this season he'd be up for the Most Improved Player award.

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

+1, Lin is an overpriced, over injured backup.  Asik has value but the late first has very little value.  You would be selling Rondo for 50 cents on the dollar value plus picking up salary.  Not a bright move either way...

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
rumor: ALL 30 teams in the NBA are interested in Rondo

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Can an op/admin change romor to rumor

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 11:41:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Can an op/admin change romor to rumor

Yes.  But do we want to?  That's debatable.