Author Topic: Romor:Houston now in mix for Rondo.?  (Read 12751 times)

Re: Romor:Houston now in mix for Rondo.?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 09:30:03 PM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
Lin , Asik and a 1st. I think Danny thinks about it hard

I think he hangs up. That's not enough value for Rondo.

That's basically Lin, Asik and a late first. Unless he has a Lex Luthor type plan of stealing a superstar talent in pick 25, he will say "no thanks."

I'm not saying I would do this deal, but I think you are totally overvaluing Rondo here. He's a mid-career PG coming off major knee surgery who has peaked, has flaws in his game, and will demand a max deal after next season. We are not getting an all-star for him, and I'm guessing Ainge has already privately decided he won't re-sign him to a max deal either.

Rondo has a lot more value to the Rockets than the Cs right now.  The Rockets arent winning the championship with their current roster.  Their PG play is inconsistent and poor defensively.  They need to win now. 

Rockets fanbase is ridiculous, dont want to see Rondo go there.  They dont deserve him.  He would make that team better instantly.

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Nothing I would really want in Houston for Rondo.

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 09:33:18 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Did someone really post that ta was a bench player in Memphis?

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 09:35:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

That's basically Lin, Asik and a late first. Unless he has a Lex Luthor type plan of stealing a superstar talent in pick 25, he will say "no thanks."

Respectfully disagree. You will not find a better deal for Rondo. Take it and run!

Respectfully, you have no idea what teams are offering for Rondo. In particular, that's a frighteningly bad deal for Rondo. Asik and Lin will make a combined $30M next year. That's roughly what Paul George and Roy Hibbert will combine for. If we just traded expirings for those two we should get a draft pick. You're basically throwing in Rondo for free.

I just don't think it's a bad deal. Asik is a decent center which could be a key part of our future. Lin is just in (little poetry there) to match salaries. After next year, he's gone.

Plus, if the idea is to create cap space for 2015, this does it. Even better if Rockets can take either Wallace or Green of our hands.

I am just having a hard time imagining that another team is going to knock our socks off with a deal for Rondo.

Especially where he's coming off a bad injury and only has a year and a half left on his current deal.

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

That's why a 3rd team would have to be involved.

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 09:37:05 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25

I'm not saying I would do this deal, but I think you are totally overvaluing Rondo here. He's a mid-career PG coming off major knee surgery who has peaked, has flaws in his game, and will demand a max deal after next season. We are not getting an all-star for him, and I'm guessing Ainge has already privately decided he won't re-sign him to a max deal either.

Im with Yoki on this one. Theres no way that is equal value to what Rondo brings to the table.  I have trouble with people believe Rondo is basically over the hump and washed up. He is 27 freakin years old about to enter 5 to 6 years of his prime and after surgery while he is still sluggish he is averaging 10, 7, and 5.

Just like Perk and Tony Allen hit their primes after Danny decided he didn't want to pay them and they dominated? Rondo is obviously better than them, but not worth what some people on here think.

It's not true that Danny didn't want to pay TA and it's also fairly obvious that he's had his best years as a player on Memphis. Rondo's worth pretty much the same amount as any other player who dominates in the playoffs when healthy and has led teams on deep playoff runs.

Ainge has been right on every call so far when deciding to pay his players the money they want. Posey sucked after getting a large contract to leave boston. Tony Allen has been a career bench player who wanted starters minutes and money. Perk is a deep bench player who is barely still in the league after his large contract. I trust Ainge in his upcoming evaluation of what to do with Rondo long term, and it is highly unlikely to be a max deal to stay in Boston unless we somehow get 2 other superstars to put with him before then end of next season.

Danny himself said that he didn't want to let TA go but he didn't get a chance to make another offer before TA went to Memphis.

and doesn't Tony claimed he gave Danny a chance to match and Danny thought he was bluffing? not that it matters, TA left on a contract that was great for whatever team got him. he went on to play all NBA defense multiple times and developed a somewhat consistent 3 point shot. he also was on the high end for FT% among today's players.

really for his first 2-3 years in Memphis TA played about as well as Bruce Bowen(in fact they have incredibly similar games) played in his best 2-3 years with the Spurs and that is great.

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 09:51:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Respectfully disagree. You will not find a better deal for Rondo. Take it and run!

Respectfully, you have no idea what teams are offering for Rondo. In particular, that's a frighteningly bad deal for Rondo. Asik and Lin will make a combined $30M next year. That's roughly what Paul George and Roy Hibbert will combine for. If we just traded expirings for those two we should get a draft pick. You're basically throwing in Rondo for free.

I just don't think it's a bad deal. Asik is a decent center which could be a key part of our future. Lin is just in (little poetry there) to match salaries. After next year, he's gone.

Lin's not a good player and he makes $15M next year. It should cost Houston a pick just to get rid of him, and they'd be lucky to do that. Aside from that (a bad deal on it's own) you're trading a star player for "a decent center". There's nothing about the deal that isn't bad.

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 09:54:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Plus, if the idea is to create cap space for 2015, this does it. Even better if Rockets can take either Wallace or Green of our hands.

I am just having a hard time imagining that another team is going to knock our socks off with a deal for Rondo.

Especially where he's coming off a bad injury and only has a year and a half left on his current deal.

So this essentially becomes a trade of Rondo (who expires after next year) for Asik (who expires after next year). If we are just trading Rondo in a salary dump, aren't we better off just keeping him or do you see Asik as the superior player moving forward?

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
ok, Houston, how about this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kwty49d

and throw in your 1st round pick :)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
ok, Houston, how about this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kwty49d

and throw in your 1st round pick :)

looks ok. But i don't think they will take Wallace

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

So this essentially becomes a trade of Rondo (who expires after next year) for Asik (who expires after next year). If we are just trading Rondo in a salary dump, aren't we better off just keeping him or do you see Asik as the superior player moving forward?

I don't see Asik as a superior player but I see him as filling more of a need at center than Rondo at PG.

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Nothing that they're trading. Rondo's a better player than Asik.

Though I don't think that deal is good enough, we can't simply say, "Oh, Rondo's such a great playoff player in his prime, etc., etc."

He has said he wants to test FA in 2015, at which time he could well be worth zero to the C's, and so he's an asset of declining value over the next 15 months.

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Houston's offer isn't enough imo.

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Cap space won't mean much if there is no star talent on the roster good enough to convince other star players that if they join the team they can compete for an NBA Title.

Gotta get back someone with star talent in a Rondo trade.

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I really got a kick out of reading that somewhere there are Houston fans who think Asik is worth more than Rondo.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain