Author Topic: HBO's True Detective  (Read 12880 times)

Re: HBO's True Detective
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:34 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I believe it would.  It would add whole other set of dynamics to the story.  If we get a few seasons of this show, I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least one season that feature a female lead.

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:30 AM »

Offline macbrian

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I just started watching the show. (Therefore only partially read the posts here, for fear of spoilers). What a great atmosphere! Really looking forward to it. Once again I thought - where would we be without HBO?

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 03:43:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Just finished watching this with the wife.  Terrific show - I agree with people who say the atmosphere, writing, and acting were better than the actual plot.  But on the other hand it's pretty hard to write a genuinely original plot - most shows that try either wind up with a bunch of plot hooks that go nowhere or a crappy "twist" ending.

I was kind of surprised Cohle's speech in the pilot about contemplating Jesus allowing himself to be crucified wasn't foreshadowing of Cohle sacrificing his life or his freedom to bring down the cult.  Really thought that's where it was heading.  Though I guess he did devote a large chunk of his life to it.

I've been having fun looking up the music and literary references in the show though - T-Bone Burnett did a terrific job curating the soundtrack.  And the short story collection that the "Yellow King" and "Carcosa" are taken from is currently free on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/King-Yellow-Robert-William-Chambers-ebook/dp/B00847UYWA.  Don't expect anything similar to the show though, it's just a thematic element.

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 05:05:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Okay, did True Detective seriously just did what I think they did?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
He has to still be alive. I refuse to believe they would kill him so quickly.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 05:11:49 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
So far I'm overall disappointed with this season.  The premiere I found to be confusing while watching, although admittedly I understood it a bit better the more I thought about it afterwards.

And I found episode 2 to be unimpressive right up until the end with the Farrell scene.  I was close to giving up, but I have to admit they've kept me holding on for at least one more episode.

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
He has to still be alive. I refuse to believe they would kill him so quickly.

Me too, but man, those are point blank bangs with a shotgun.

So far I'm overall disappointed with this season.  The premiere I found to be confusing while watching, although admittedly I understood it a bit better the more I thought about it afterwards.

And I found episode 2 to be unimpressive right up until the end with the Farrell scene.  I was close to giving up, but I have to admit they've kept me holding on for at least one more episode.

The first two episodes to me were very slow paced and dedicated to character development and it sort of kills some interest, but man, that final scene in Ep. 2... Okay, now do I only want to know who killed Caspere, but who is this crow mask wearing, shotgun weilding murderer. There's now a story I can get behind.

Decent episode until the final minutes, after that, to me it felt a little bit like season 1 again.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace