Author Topic: HBO's True Detective  (Read 12882 times)

Re: HBO's True Detective
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
best show on tv not even a contest
expect awards for both mcm and woody

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Woody really has come a long way.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
The writing is excellent as well... best Drama Tv series I may have ever seen (along side Breaking Bad)... The past episode was soo good I had to watch it back to back..

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 03:28:02 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So thanks to IP, I started watching this series and fell in love with it. Just amazing, from the writing to the acting.

Then I found out there's only 2 episodes left..  I kind of felt sad a little.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 07:43:22 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I am OBSESSED with Game of Thrones, have read all the books, visit all the blogs... and will still say True Detective is the better show.

I love the mood of the show, and "The stash house in Coon Country" was maybe the most intense episode of TV I have ever watched.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 07:47:15 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110

No, no, I agree. I love good television, so I don't watch CBS. If you don't know these terms or names, we probably don't watch the same shows:

Mother of Dragons
Yellow King
Brown Coats
Bada Bing
Heisenberg
Barksdale
The Gem Saloon
Art Vandelay
Drama and Turtle
[/quote]

UGH... You really had me with your GREAT list until you put Drama and Turtle. I think Entourage is basically the worst crap HBO has ever put out.

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 08:21:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
terrific show that started slowly and has picked up a little steam.

not what I originally expected -- thought Woody and 'Alright' would be a more functional team than they are.  so used to seeing partners function together that it took a couple of shows to get used to the dysfunction.

the part I have trouble buying is Woody's ability to pick up younger, hot girls.  'Alright' I would understand but Woody just doesn't come across as having the looks to pull that off.  small detail but that throws off that background story for me.

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 09:21:13 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

No, no, I agree. I love good television, so I don't watch CBS. If you don't know these terms or names, we probably don't watch the same shows:

Mother of Dragons
Yellow King
Brown Coats
Bada Bing
Heisenberg
Barksdale
The Gem Saloon
Art Vandelay
Drama and Turtle
[/b]

UGH... You really had me with your GREAT list until you put Drama and Turtle. I think Entourage is basically the worst crap HBO has ever put out.
[/quote]

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
As for True Detective, another strong episode. I read, that many think Maggie's dad will be the Yellow King. Interesting!

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 07:54:42 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
What did everyone think of the finale?

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 08:13:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It definitely was NOT the best show on TV.  It was a cool show, though.

I think it proved to be a classic example of a show that people thought was smarter than it actually was.  It reminded me of "Lost" in that regard.  At the end of the day, it was a semi-typical cop drama, but beautifully shot, verbosely written and containing movie-star performances that far outweighed the content they were given.

But it wasn't great, in my opinion.  I still enjoyed it.  The last episode was fun... plenty of homages to Texas Chainsaw Massacre.   Pretty typical stuff, though... they track down the boss monster, have a near-death and come out heroes.

I don't think the show gets anywhere near the hype if it featured two random actors.  Woody and McConnaghey heightened the experience significantly.

Yes, the show had moments of greatness... such as that epic one-shot.  But it also had moments of mundane and crappy... like many of the home scenes featuring Woody's family.  Meh. 

That said, it's an amazing step in the right direction, because it opens the door for other filmmakers and big-time actors to take on similar projects.  It will be fun to see who they tap to direct the second season... where it will be shot... who they will cast in the lead roles, etc.  They only need to commit to 8 episodes, so it makes it an appealing project for world-class storytellers.  I wouldn't mind seeing more high-profile mini series like this. 

But no... not the best show on television.  We're in the middle of the golden age of television.  Some amazing shows out there.  There's almost too many.   "True Detective" was very good.  I'm sure it will sweep the Emmys, because that's typically what happens when Oscar winning movie stars are involved in a "television" project, but there's so much great stuff out there right now on that same level. 

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 08:28:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I will say that there's a ton of shows just like True Detective like "The Killing" and "Broadchurch" and "Top of the Lake", etc...

The way it was shot and performed elevated it... the fact that it had an oscar winner at the height of his McConnaissance definitely elevated it.  The fact that it's on HBO and came between Breaking Bad ending and Game of Thrones starting elevated it.

But it's somehow become rather overrated, imo.   The internet blew up with people analyzing every episode trying to find clues... debating who "the Yellow King" was... and they somehow inflated what the show actually was. 

I did like it.  But it wasn't even my favorite mystery cop drama of the year... that would be BBC's Sherlock.  That show is outstanding.

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 12:25:54 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I do agree that it became a bit overrated.  Like you said, in the end it wasn't the anti-police procedural masterpiece that some hailed it as.  But I'm sucker for brooding, atmospheric crime dramas, so I was sucker for this.  Love the emphasis on visuals and dialogue.  Definitely not the greatest show ever, but pretty darn good nonetheless.

Speaking of mini-series, do the networks ever bother with them anymore?  Seems like they used to be a staple every spring, especially with ABC, who used to almost always debut a Stephen King-based mini-series.

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 12:39:26 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I do agree that it became a bit overrated.  Like you said, in the end it wasn't the anti-police procedural masterpiece that some hailed it as.  But I'm sucker for brooding, atmospheric crime dramas, so I was sucker for this.  Love the emphasis on visuals and dialogue.  Definitely not the greatest show ever, but pretty darn good nonetheless.

Speaking of mini-series, do the networks ever bother with them anymore?  Seems like they used to be a staple every spring, especially with ABC, who used to almost always debut a Stephen King-based mini-series.
I'm not sure about the Networks.  Most network TV is kinda crappy.  I think NBC is doing a reboot of "Heroes" that I heard was actually just a mini series. 

HBO rarely does some like "John Adams" and "Mildred Pierce".  They seem to do more "made for TV movies" now than anything... "Behind the Candelabra" was legitimately good.  It seems like HBO and Netflix might become excellent venues for filmmakers who can't get funding for their pet projects from movie studios.  A movie about Liberace probably wouldn't make anything in the theater so the studios reject it... but as an HBO event?... it's gold.   I mean, that movie had a budget of 23 million dollars... it was directed by Steven Soderbergh... this is a serious filmmaker who had directed big-time movies.  It had movie stars.  All intents and purposes, it's a real quality film.  It just so happens to be distributed by HBO.  Netflix intends to do the same thing.  It's a great thing for people who have Netflix and HBO.

And True Detective is a similar thing... movie stars in the lead.  The director (Cary Fukunaga) has made feature films like "Sin Nombre" and "Jane Eyre".   It will be interesting to see who they tap to direct the next season with an all-new cast and new story.  I'd bet that Season 2 will be even better than the 1st.  I mean... they could have a huge director at the helm.

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 07:30:53 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Does the show work with two female leads?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:36:17 PM by Chief »

Larry Bird