Author Topic: Rumor: Asking price for Rondo said to be two unprotected first rounders  (Read 35255 times)

Re: Rumor: Asking price for Rondo said to be two unprotected first rounders
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 02:13:39 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
well,  is there a single team that would do that?   guess he's staying.

There are a lot of teams that should do that.

For instance, would Houston be better off holding on to its 2014 and 2016 picks, or packaging them for Rondo?

If Ainge is truly willing to trade Rondo for any set of two unprotected picks, sure.  I doubt Ainge trades Rondo for a couple of picks in the 20s, though.
2 late firsts would be an awful return
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
This clearly had to be team specific.  Why would a contender not give up two unprotected first?  This had to be a team in the lottery called Danny and he gave his price for them. 

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 02:19:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Here's a relevant link for anyone trying to find teams that might qualify:

http://www1.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
Not that this is a trade I'd want to do, but wouldn't Rondo to the Raptors for Lowry/Patternson's expiring + Toronto's unprotected 2014 and 2016 picks essentially qualify?

Something like that, right?

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 02:21:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Only team that can provide the picks that could use rondo are the rockets, kings, suns

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 02:23:27 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Anyone know if this guy is a credible source? https://twitter.com/basketballnxt1

Does anyone have a response to this? Seems like it should at least be discussed.   

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Only team that can provide the picks that could use rondo are the rockets, kings, suns

The Suns don't need Rondo, they have Dragic and Bledsoe.

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Here's a relevant link for anyone trying to find teams that might qualify:

http://www1.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
Not that this is a trade I'd want to do, but wouldn't Rondo to the Raptors for Lowry/Patternson's expiring + Toronto's unprotected 2014 and 2016 picks essentially qualify?

Something like that, right?

Why would the Raps trade a healthy Lowry (who is having a great season) for Rondo?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This clearly had to be team specific.  Why would a contender not give up two unprotected first?  This had to be a team in the lottery called Danny and he gave his price for them.

In that event it must have been Orlando or Sac, right?

They are the only teams I can find who need a PG and have attractive picks to move.

We've been talking about Sac as a possible destination for Rondo all year, as well.

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Funny... people pooped on my idea of Rondo+Green+Wallace  to the Bobcats for Sessions/Ben Gordon's expiring contracts + Biyombo + MKG + Kemba + Portland's 2014 1st + Detroit's 2014 1st...

That's considerably more than Ainge is asking for here.   Two unprotected 1st rounders could mean Rondo to the Pistons for Charlie V's expiring, a 2015 "unprotected" pick and a 2017 "unprotected pick".

Why do you assume that the two picks need to be lottery?  All it says is "unprotected".  Heat could offer two unprotected picks if they wanted to.

The key is "unprotected"

Why would a pick from a top team in the West fit that description?  It would need no "protection". 

Clearly, it would mean two possible lotto picks.

Clearly, indeed.

No team is going to do that.

And Ainge isn't going to move Rondo for two Houston-caliber picks.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »

Offline Sully7

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Is this DA just checking the weather or does he value Ennis, Smart, and Exum higher than the group of power forwards that fill the draft slots 4-10.

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 02:25:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Anyone know if this guy is a credible source? https://twitter.com/basketballnxt1

Does anyone have a response to this? Seems like it should at least be discussed.

I'd make it a separate thread.

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Pretty sure that guy is just talking out of his

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 02:27:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Funny... people pooped on my idea of Rondo+Green+Wallace  to the Bobcats for Sessions/Ben Gordon's expiring contracts + Biyombo + MKG + Kemba + Portland's 2014 1st + Detroit's 2014 1st...

That's considerably more than Ainge is asking for here.   Two unprotected 1st rounders could mean Rondo to the Pistons for Charlie V's expiring, a 2015 "unprotected" pick and a 2017 "unprotected pick".

Why do you assume that the two picks need to be lottery?  All it says is "unprotected".  Heat could offer two unprotected picks if they wanted to.

The key is "unprotected"

Why would a pick from a top team in the West fit that description?  It would need no "protection". 

Clearly, it would mean two possible lotto picks.

Clearly, indeed.

No team is going to do that.

And Ainge isn't going to move Rondo for two Houston-caliber picks.

exactly. I mean, he got a similar pick for Doc Rivers for crying out loud, who was already out the door and a coach. No way we move Rondo for two 1sts from a contender.

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 02:28:24 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

I doubt it. Suns would need more outgoing salary then just okafor and Alex Len to get both pau gasol and Jeff green. Also hard for me to see Ainge sending Rondo to the lakers.

That be a crazy three team deal tho.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
The Sacramento rumor from earlier this year would make a "ton" of sense for both teams if Ainge/Stevens actually didn't truly want to build around Rondo. 

I. Thomas, Mclemore, Thornton, Thompson and the King's 1st "this year", for Rondo and maybe the Clipper's 1st rounder next year.

For Sacramento:
The time is "now". They've had umpteen lottery picks. They're still in the lottery this year. They have Cousins and Gay - they need the 3rd piece "now", "today", not three years from now.

With Rondo, Cousins and Gay, all they need to do is add a solid shooter at the 2 spot and a mid level big man and that team could compete

They don't have time to wait for another lottery pick to develop. Rondo will maximize Gay and Cousins.     

For Boston?

Well, it depends on whether you really want to build around Rondo, how good you think Mclemore can be in 2-3 years and how good you think the top 5 picks in this draft are.

This above being said, this is only a trade I would consider once I knew the Kings had secured a top three pick - not something I'd do now.

If this is the direction I was going , I would also make moves to clear out our vets (Green, Bass, Wallace, etc) and go with a complete youth movement and hopefully this would do two things:

A) accelerate the growth curves of the remaining young guys.

B) Land us a top three pick as well, or at least a top 5 pick.

So now if the Celtics came away with something like Embiid and Parker - you're in pretty good shape.

Embiid / Faverani
Sully / Olynyk / Thompson
Parker / draft pick - worse of ATL / BKN
Mclemore / Thornton
Isaiah Thomas / Pressey