Author Topic: Rumor: Asking price for Rondo said to be two unprotected first rounders  (Read 35228 times)

Re: Rumor: Asking price for Rondo said to be two unprotected first rounders
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2014, 09:14:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What it does tell me though, is that there is real smoke out there with Rondo.  He is being discussed, whether it is with the C's, or just teams who want to make an offer.
C's are clearly getting calls about Rondo, that's what all the rumors are flying from.

Ainge is probably trying to gauge and establish the value and who's interested before he gets into the detailed stuff in targeting what exactly he wants in return.

Still unlikely to happen as I think in the end teams will balk at the price he demands. I think this is just teams kicking the tires on Rondo.

« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2014, 10:39:03 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Steve Bulpett wrote this about what sort of picks Ainge is looking for:

The Celtics president of basketball operations is still a big believer in his All-Star point guard, but in this rebuilding situation, nothing can be off the table.

Sources continue to insist, however, that Ainge has to get something certain in return (see: the bid he made for Chris Paul 21⁄2 years ago). Word is the C’s would take draft picks, but they’d have to be guaranteed in the top few — even if they came in separate years — and it’s hard to see anyone meeting that price.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2014, 10:45:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The Celtics president of basketball operations is still a big believer in his All-Star point guard, but in this rebuilding situation, nothing can be off the table.

Sources continue to insist, however, that Ainge has to get something certain in return (see: the bid he made for Chris Paul 21⁄2 years ago). Word is the C’s would take draft picks, but they’d have to be guaranteed in the top few — even if they came in separate years — and it’s hard to see anyone meeting that price.

This makes a lot of sense to me.  And matches up with the idea that Rondo might be more likely to be traded on draft day, if he is traded at all. 

« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2014, 10:59:35 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

This makes a lot of sense to me.  And matches up with the idea that Rondo might be more likely to be traded on draft day, if he is traded at all.

Well, it does make a lot of sense for a rebuilding team in the lottery to want a guy like Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2014, 11:05:32 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Well, it does make a lot of sense for a rebuilding team in the lottery to want a guy like Rondo.
Well, that's exactly how the Celtics got Allen and Garnett.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2014, 11:12:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Really depends on the team.

Let's say the Lakers end up with the #4 pick in the draft.  Maybe they would rather trade that and Nash for Rondo, and then try to sell to a free agent to come play with Rondo and Kobe.

Or Sacramento would be a lot more interesting to trade with on draft day, if they fall apart and get a top 6 pick, but are still committed to a quick turnaround. 

A team like the Magic could be interested in swapping their pick for Rondo to build around Oladipo, Afflalo, Their center, and then a free agent or two.

Basically, if you have a team that is ready to get OUT of the lottery, and they are not in love with anyone on the draft board when their number comes up, they could make a play for a guy like Rondo.