Author Topic: Rumor: Asking price for Rondo said to be two unprotected first rounders  (Read 35223 times)

Re: Rumor: Asking price for Rondo said to be two unprotected first rounders
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Makes sense -- that's what a healthy Jrue Holiday cost on draft day last summer.
I'm amazed that he fetched that much still.
I was angry by it.  Leading up to that I was like "Trade Rondo for Nerlens!!! Trade Rondo for Nerlens!!!"...

and then I find out some team takes a LESSER player and includes an additional 1st rounder.  Blown away.
Its pretty much the same as what happened with Portland/Nets Wallace trade.

We were trying to trade Pierce for that pick supposedly, and they opted for Wallace and gave him that awful contract. Just amazing.

Fortunately Ainge was able to circle the mark and strike soon after.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 02:00:15 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Yeah, count me as somebody who doesn't think that's asking too much.

As the what IP said, anybody have the time to actually break down teams who fit that criteria? (Consecutive picks to trade, picks likely in the lottery, and the need for a high end PG). Probably a rather short list.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Makes sense -- that's what a healthy Jrue Holiday cost on draft day last summer.
I'm amazed that he fetched that much still.
I was angry by it.  Leading up to that I was like "Trade Rondo for Nerlens!!! Trade Rondo for Nerlens!!!"...

and then I find out some team takes a LESSER player and includes an additional 1st rounder.  Blown away.

Yeah, I was kinda mad we didn't hop on that one. Get the homeown kid, tank, and another lottery pick.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 02:01:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Funny... people pooped on my idea of Rondo+Green+Wallace  to the Bobcats for Sessions/Ben Gordon's expiring contracts + Biyombo + MKG + Kemba + Portland's 2014 1st + Detroit's 2014 1st...

That's considerably more than Ainge is asking for here.   Two unprotected 1st rounders could mean Rondo to the Pistons for Charlie V's expiring, a 2015 "unprotected" pick and a 2017 "unprotected pick".

Why do you assume that the two picks need to be lottery?  All it says is "unprotected".  Heat could offer two unprotected picks if they wanted to.

I think there's an implication here that at least one of those picks would be in the lottery.  I can't imagine Ainge trading Rondo for two mid-or-later 1sts unless there were another nice young player attached.

Maybe this means Danny would consider something like the package you mentioned, though -- Walker + MKG + Detroit's 1st and a future Charlotte 1st (with Gordon as ballast) in return for Rondo and Green.

Then again, maybe Danny wouldn't consider trading Rondo for less than a top 5 pick and a future unprotected pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 02:01:34 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Well I put the chances of a Rondo trade at 60%... I'm boosting it up to 65%.   That's not a lot to ask for.  Someone will bite.

I disagree Rondo isn't an elite so if you can get two 1sts for him, one of which in a loaded draft then do it. Try and dump Wallace on them too.

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 02:02:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

More fodder for the forums. Until Rondo's traded half the people will think Danny won't trade him unless you blow him away with an offer and half the people will think Danny's desperately trying to unload him with no takers.
If it makes you feel any better, I don't subscribe to the idea that Rondo "will not be traded until draft night".

I say he's either getting traded Thursday or he's here long-term.  My premise has always been that Ainge intends to trade Rondo and all the "we want to build around Rondo" was just political posturing.  I agree with the majority of media who said a Rondo trade was inevitable this season and Ainge was just waiting for Rondo to prove he was healthy before biting on a deal.   Rondo has pretty much proved he's healthy now.  I'm sure teams have made offers.  I still say it's more likely we trade him than keep him.  If Ainge keeps him past the deadline, I think we can feel comfortable that Rondo will be here for many years to come.   I'm pretty sure if Ainge intends to move him at all, he'll be gone by next week. 

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 02:03:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Funny... people pooped on my idea of Rondo+Green+Wallace  to the Bobcats for Sessions/Ben Gordon's expiring contracts + Biyombo + MKG + Kemba + Portland's 2014 1st + Detroit's 2014 1st...

That's considerably more than Ainge is asking for here.   Two unprotected 1st rounders could mean Rondo to the Pistons for Charlie V's expiring, a 2015 "unprotected" pick and a 2017 "unprotected pick".

Why do you assume that the two picks need to be lottery?  All it says is "unprotected".  Heat could offer two unprotected picks if they wanted to.

I think there's an implication here that at least one of those picks would be in the lottery.  I can't imagine Ainge trading Rondo for two mid-or-later 1sts unless there were another nice young player attached.

Maybe this means Danny would consider something like the package you mentioned, though -- Walker + MKG + Detroit's 1st and a future Charlotte 1st (with Gordon as ballast) in return for Rondo and Green.

Then again, maybe Danny wouldn't consider trading Rondo for less than a top 5 pick and a future unprotected pick.
Yeah I think the two picks are the starting point of the trade negotiation.

What picks they are, and what players and salary is coming back all would play into whether or not Ainge would consider the deal.

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't think Rondo's proved he's healthy at all. I'd be shocked if he's moved because of that. Team's don't want to take the risk of paying Danny's price right now.

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Well I put the chances of a Rondo trade at 60%... I'm boosting it up to 65%.   That's not a lot to ask for.  Someone will bite.

That's lower than you normally have his chances of being traded, isn't it?
I still think we might go in the other direction and make a trade to improve us now (while keeping Rondo).   I think Ainge has options on the table and he'll wait until the deadline to make sure he allows time for any last-minute "holy crap" offers to trickle in.

But the likeliness of someone offering us Kevin Love or Carmelo Anthony last-minute is far less likely than Boston trading Rondo. 

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 02:06:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
well,  is there a single team that would do that?   guess he's staying.

There are a lot of teams that should do that.

For instance, would Houston be better off holding on to its 2014 and 2016 picks, or packaging them for Rondo?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I don't think Rondo's proved he's healthy at all. I'd be shocked if he's moved because of that. Team's don't want to take the risk of paying Danny's price right now.
He hasn't proved he's 100% healthy, but he's proved he can still be a factor in this league.  His last 4 games have been very good.  It's encouraging signs for anyone considering a Rondo trade.  It tells you that #1 - He can probably be successful without the Big 3 and #2 - He still has game.    He'll continue to improve, but I think the hesitation around trading for Rondo was that he would never recover from his injury or he'd be awful without his support system.   Those concerns should be gone now.  He's clearly still a factor.  He might never get back to where he was in his all-star days, but he's definitely someone who can help you win.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The key is "unprotected"

Why would a pick from a top team in the West fit that description?  It would need no "protection". 

Clearly, it would mean two possible lotto picks.

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 02:11:46 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

For instance, would Houston be better off holding on to its 2014 and 2016 picks, or packaging them for Rondo?

I agree.  I just don't see it happening. 

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 02:12:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If Ainge is truly willing to trade Rondo for any set of two unprotected picks, sure.  I doubt Ainge trades Rondo for a couple of picks in the 20s, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Here's a relevant link for anyone trying to find teams that might qualify:

http://www1.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed