Author Topic: KJ Mcdaniel  (Read 7493 times)

KJ Mcdaniel
« on: February 17, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJdsQ9xFBSY

Super athletic sf draft prospect that is flying under the radar. Dont know much about him outside of watching highlights. Looks impressive, especially ability to acrobatically finish near the net. Looking at his stats for a sf he can really rebound and block shots

Anybody else seen him play or know much about him? Looks like an intriguing prospect .

Re: KJ Mcdaniel
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:26:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Recent nice block on TJ Warren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emaO1FDWvXs

Another clip (last years) to show Mcdaniels athleticism.  (two dunks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Q2sRYyRJw

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:00:26 PM »

Offline ptroger83

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'm a Clemson alumni so I watch about all of KJ's games. He is really good and REALLY athletic. He has a great knack for timing, specifically blocked shots (mostly on the weakside, off ball and on put back dunks). The thing about KJ is, he really plays within himself. From a fan's point of view, sometimes I want him to assert himself more because he's about all we've got. However, #1: He's getting better about being more assertive and #2: He likely won't need to be as assertive on offense in any NBA role.

I see him as a really athletic 3 and D guy. His shooting is good not great, but it has improved a lot as he's developed. Catch and shoot he's pretty good, but he's not as good off the bounce long range. He has a pretty good mid-range game, and is excellent in transition.

He's listed at 6'5 but the dude can scratch his knee caps standing straight up. His reach is unbelievable. I'd like to see him develop a post game with a baby hook a la Tayshaun Prince.

He's very high character and has a team first mentality. He's gonna be a steal for someone in the 20's. I'd love to see the Celts get him with their late pick but honestly he'd be a great fit with the Spurs.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:32:38 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Looks like a classic tweener.  6-5ish with shaky handle.  Elite leaper, but not an elite all-around athlete.  A miniature Kenyon Martin.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 08:46:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Check out the game around the 5 minute mark. Guess who he scores on? ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 12:38:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Check out the game around the 5 minute mark. Guess who he scores on? ;D

Yeah that was nice

KJ Mcdaniel reminds me of Gerald Green in that right now he could develop a better handle and consistent jump shot, but in time when he does, will be difficult to contain. His defense is already at nba level and ability to block shot is at elite level.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 09:44:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I was wondering when someone was going to make a thread about this guy.  After Parker struggled so mightily against Clemson, I checked the boxscore and was astounded with this kid's line of 24 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks.  I would do a sign and trade for Bradley and get this guy.  He already has a step back and can score with both hands (which is pretty rare these days), but when was the last time a G/F averaged 2.7 bpg?  Wow.  Especially if we don't acquire a center who can actually alter and block shots, this guy could really help man to man and coming from the weakside.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I was wondering when someone was going to make a thread about this guy.  After Parker struggled so mightily against Clemson, I checked the boxscore and was astounded with this kid's line of 24 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks.  I would do a sign and trade for Bradley and get this guy.  He already has a step back and can score with both hands (which is pretty rare these days), but when was the last time a G/F averaged 2.7 bpg?  Wow.  Especially if we don't acquire a center who can actually alter and block shots, this guy could really help man to man and coming from the weakside.

He is an elite athlete. Unbelivable shot blocking skills. But only has avg feel for game and iq per draftexpress analysis. At least he has improved his game every year and still has upside.

He def should utilize his athleticism more going to the basket vs shoot the ball. If he is on, looks like a nightmare to deal with.

Not sure if we should use our 2nd 1st on him. Still tramautized by the kedrick brown picking before. But mcdaniel looks like a nice alternative if you miss out on wiggins
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:50:58 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 08:12:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Kevin O'connor on the main page has jumped Mcdaniel to the 8th spot on his mock draft 2.0.  If we keep playing well and draft 8-10, maybe this is a guy the celts will consider to take over AB's spot next year

He has been playing really steady the past month (the whole year pretty much). And the last 5-6 games has been consistently averaging 3 rebounds per game vs 1 or 0 assists. He is always improving

Overall just a freak explosive athlete like Wiggins. From standstill he can explode to the basket like Faried, Dwade.

Anyone else think danny has been on a steady diet of below the rim type players the past two years now, and itching to go back to his old ways and draft a guy like Mcdaniels?

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
draftexpress now has mcdaniel going at #22. quite a rise up for the guy. i think the celtics pick will be at around #17, which may be early to choose mcdaniel.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 09:28:27 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm sold on McDaniels.  I think he's a slightly better player for us than Jerami Grant.  Grant has 2 inches on McDaniel, but I don't see him having the versatility and quickness to step out and guard the 2 spot like McDaniel.

I think McDaniel's flaws are mostly correctable with proper coaching.  And playing with Rondo would maximize his potential because his best play is A) on the fast break and B) cutting to the basket/finishing above the rim.

McDaniel's shotblocking at his size for his position is also elite.  And I think we are really going to need that with no elite big man in sight.

I would have no qualms whatsoever if Ainge selected McDaniels with our #17 pick.  Particularly if we missed out on Parker/Exum with our early pick, which is looking likely now.

I like DX - Draft Express's breakdown on him:
http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Profiles-2014/KJ-McDaniels

He also has elite steal per 40 numbers to go with top 5 rebounds per 40 and flat out best blocks for 40 from the SF position.  He definitely lacks the handle to be a SG, but he could be a shutdown SF for us.

Imagine a late game lineup of Rondo, Bradley, McDaniels.  That's a nightmare to score against.  All we would need is the bigs to go along with it.

==========
Dream scenario:
At pick #3 the Celtics select Embiid.  He turns out to be healthy.

Celtics trade Brandon Bass + other nonvital assets for pick #13 and select TJ Warren.

With the NJ Nets pick #17, the Celtics select KJ Mcdaniels.

Rondo, AB, Mcdaniels, Warren, Embiid.

With Jeff Green, Sully, Olynyk as key rotation members.
I like the look of that team!!

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 09:44:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'm sold on McDaniels.  I think he's a slightly better player for us than Jerami Grant.  Grant has 2 inches on McDaniel, but I don't see him having the versatility and quickness to step out and guard the 2 spot like McDaniel.

I think McDaniel's flaws are mostly correctable with proper coaching.  And playing with Rondo would maximize his potential because his best play is A) on the fast break and B) cutting to the basket/finishing above the rim.

McDaniel's shotblocking at his size for his position is also elite.  And I think we are really going to need that with no elite big man in sight.

I would have no qualms whatsoever if Ainge selected McDaniels with our #17 pick.  Particularly if we missed out on Parker/Exum with our early pick, which is looking likely now.

I like DX - Draft Express's breakdown on him:
http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Profiles-2014/KJ-McDaniels

He also has elite steal per 40 numbers to go with top 5 rebounds per 40 and flat out best blocks for 40 from the SF position.  He definitely lacks the handle to be a SG, but he could be a shutdown SF for us.

Imagine a late game lineup of Rondo, Bradley, McDaniels.  That's a nightmare to score against.  All we would need is the bigs to go along with it.

==========
Dream scenario:
At pick #3 the Celtics select Embiid.  He turns out to be healthy.

Celtics trade Brandon Bass + other nonvital assets for pick #13 and select TJ Warren.

With the NJ Nets pick #17, the Celtics select KJ Mcdaniels.

Rondo, AB, Mcdaniels, Warren, Embiid.

With Jeff Green, Sully, Olynyk as key rotation members.
I like the look of that team!!

I imagine we somehow get to pick Wiggins and Mcdaniels , start them together next year (instead of Green, AB) and have opposing teams sf, sg raise the white flag. 

That would be a sick athletitic sf/sg pair

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 11:13:02 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
I got him at #8:
http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/3/10/5478988/2014-nba-draft-big-board-embiid-wiggins-tank-parker-exum-analysis-randle-smart-kevin-oconnor-gordon

K.J. McDaniels is a 6-foot-6 wing from Clemson, and he's one of the best two-way players in the NCAA. McDaniels will most certainly be an elite defender in the NBA, since he can shutdown guards and most small forwards. He's averaging 2.8 blocks per game because of his natural instinct to block shots from the weak side. He fights for rebounds and loose balls, which makes him the type of player any team could utilize. Offensively, McDaniels mostly just needs to increase his agility. He has a high dribble, so some of his driving moves won't fly in the NBA; and from the perimeter, his jump shot inconsistencies are due to his inability to get an attempt off quickly. Despite these weaknesses, he'll be able to treat fans with Gerald Green-like alley oop slams from day one in the NBA.
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 11:35:26 PM »

fitzhickey

If we get him at 8 and Warren at 17, I would be pretty dang happy with our future, even though we missed out on the big 4.