Author Topic: Spurs (37-15) at Celtics (19-34) Game #54 2/12/14  (Read 36522 times)

Re: Spurs (37-15) at Celtics (19-34) Game #54 2/12/14
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Wallace actually still has game.  I think with a defined role, he could average close to what he did in his prime.  If we trade Jeff Green, I kind of expect Wallace to get a big boost

There is no way he could average close to 19.4 pts, 6 r, 3.5 a, 1 blk and 2 steals a game on .449 fg% again.  He was a legit all-star

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
KO doing a great job so far.
i assume you mean on offense and the boards. on defense he is simply too slow and lacks lateral movement to keep up with spurs who attack the basket. he will improve with coaching, not a lot, but some.

olly did have a very nice move to the basket earlier. nice to see him developing more confidence on offense.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2014, 08:36:31 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It would be nice if Sully could put in some of these offensive rebound bunnies he has gotten.

Nick, is Kelly O starting to grow on you?
I guess you will just never understand my problem with Olynyk.

Simply put, I hate weak, finesse, offensively minded big men that can't play defense, and that's exactly what Olynyk is. If he makes it past his rookie contract, its going to be because someone wants a stretch four off the bench that can score against bad second team defensive big men.

He is showing skills on one side of the ball but is completely awful on the other.

Do you know how many people used that same description on Dirk? What I see is a highly skilled offensive player, that has only played 65 total games (NCAA/NBA) since 2011 because of the redshirt, and continues to improve in all aspects of the game as his confidence grows.

Dirk had/has the transcendent shooting touch of an elite guard. There has never been a 7 footer who could shoot and score the way he did/does. Dirk in his younger days was also very athletic.

I like olynyk. But the dirk comparisons are unfair to him.

Sorry, but Dirk was never "very athletic."
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
It would be nice if Sully could put in some of these offensive rebound bunnies he has gotten.

Simply put, I hate weak, finesse, offensively minded big men that can't play defense, and that's exactly what Olynyk is. If he makes it past his rookie contract, its going to be because someone wants a stretch four off the bench that can score against bad second team defensive big men.

He is showing skills on one side of the ball but is completely awful on the other.

I guess the answer is, he IS growing on you. 

A while back you said he won't be on an NBA roster 2 years from now. Then you said he won't be on an NBA roster after his rookie contract. Now you say he'll only be on an NBA roster after his rookie contract if someone wants an offense-only stretch four off the bench.  At this pace, you will be in love with Olynyk's game by December, 2019. 

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »

Offline Sully7

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I love all the KO hate when he's a plus 7 and our undersized center (Sully) is a minus 17.  Big men take time.  I'll give the kid another year before my opinion is fully formed on him.

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2014, 08:39:17 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I love all the KO hate when he's a plus 7 and our undersized center (Sully) is a minus 17.  Big men take time.  I'll give the kid another year before my opinion is fully formed on him.

TP!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 08:40:20 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

A while back you said he won't be on an NBA roster 2 years from now. Then you said he won't be on an NBA roster after his rookie contract. Now you say he'll only be on an NBA roster after his rookie contract if someone wants an offense-only stretch four off the bench.  At this pace, you will be in love with Olynyk's game by December, 2019.
Lol
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

Do you know how many people used that same description on Dirk? What I see is a highly skilled offensive player, that has only played 65 total games (NCAA/NBA) since 2011 because of the redshirt, and continues to improve in all aspects of the game as his confidence grows.

Dirk had/has the transcendent shooting touch of an elite guard. There has never been a 7 footer who could shoot and score the way he did/does. Dirk in his younger days was also very athletic.

Durant?

I get why people who haven't played a lot of organized basketball think KO plays bad defense.  I'm not going to say he is a dynamic defender but when his man scores it is generally due to him helping out his teammates.  Case in point was that Bonner three.  He was late getting to Bonnor because he was preventing a layup from a cutter on the wing.

His 1 v 1 defense is usually solid.  When Demarcus Cousins was destroying Sully, KO took him for a spell and shut him down including a forced turnover.  He has also learned how to keep his hand straight up and jump, making players have to finish over him near the rim.  He has been forcing a lot of misses like that recently.

Overall, the guy is a Rookie and white in the NBA.  I think his future in the NBA might be the Larry Bird kind of small forward with Sully and an inside defensive minded C.

He has made HUGE strides already this year from the kid Hansborough threw around in that first game against Toronto.  He plays so much tougher now inside fighting for rebounds.

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

LOL...I think you are missing all the ifs and coulds I put in there.

If he gets past his second year he could....

If he gets past his rookie contract he could...

If someone wants a certain type of player he could...

;) :D ;D

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980

Durant?

I get why people who haven't played a lot of organized basketball think KO plays bad defense.  I'm not going to say he is a dynamic defender but when his man scores it is generally due to him helping out his teammates.  Case in point was that Bonner three.  He was late getting to Bonnor because he was preventing a layup from a cutter on the wing.

His 1 v 1 defense is usually solid.  When Demarcus Cousins was destroying Sully, KO took him for a spell and shut him down including a forced turnover.  He has also learned how to keep his hand straight up and jump, making players have to finish over him near the rim.  He has been forcing a lot of misses like that recently.

Overall, the guy is a Rookie and white in the NBA.  I think his future in the NBA might be the Larry Bird kind of small forward with Sully and an inside defensive minded C.

He has made HUGE strides already this year from the kid Hansborough threw around in that first game against Toronto.  He plays so much tougher now inside fighting for rebounds.

KO is waaaaaaaaay to slow to play SF.  Gotsa be a stretch big.

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
The Spurs are going over the pick on Rondo. Shame he doesn't have all his speed back.

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 08:53:16 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
I respect but hate the Spurs.

Larry Bird

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Tommy ..senile  ;D

Bass has great hands  :o

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2014, 08:58:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is it just me or is this free flow offense with very little emphasis on set plays and lots of emphasis on ball movement and individual shot creation just not the best style for Rajon Rondo's skill set?

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Sorry, but Dirk was never "very athletic."

...compared to olynyk?

Young dirk could get above the rim, and had great speed to go with his still great footwork. Here is a quick example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC7Uuysepn0

Very athletic doesnt have to mean Vince carter or Lebron James.