Author Topic: BOSTON/ATLANTA/PHOENIX 3-Way Trade Idea  (Read 8613 times)

BOSTON/ATLANTA/PHOENIX 3-Way Trade Idea
« on: February 10, 2014, 05:39:24 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Bass is not a piece this team needs. Green (although one of my favorite players to watch) is proving to be too mercurial to build around as a core player. We also need to figure out a way to dump Gerald Wallace to really free up the cap room to go full rebuild around Rondo/Bradley/Sullinger and the young talent.

Boston Receives:

Emeka Okafor , Elton Brand, Demarre Carroll, ATL 1st rounder (whichever one they own that is most tradeable), PHOENIX 1st rounder

Atlanta Receives:

Jeff Green, Channing Frye

Phoenix Receives:

Brandon Bass, Gerald Wallace, Lou Williams

Phoenix gives up a mediocre big in Frye, and Okafor's expiring to acquire players who can contribute to a playoff run.

Atlanta gets Jeff Green who they want and Frye, to make their run.

Boston gives up a current center piece talent on the roster, a solid player in Bass, and gets to dump the Wallace contract and also take on a ton of expiring $$$. We get instant cap room to go after big FA's next season, a solid prospect in Carroll, and a couple more 1st rounders to stockpile for trades/team building.

The one obvious thing that holds up this trade is whether or not Phoenix is willing to take on Wallace, but Okafor provides nothing for their playoff run, and injecting Bass, Lou Williams, and Wallace in to their roster does make them a stronger team now.

Re: BOSTON/ATLANTA/PHOENIX 3-Way Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »

Offline JJ2525

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I don't see any reason PHO would trade Okafor's valuable contract and a 1st rounder for Brandon Bass, the corpse of Gerald Wallace and Sweet Lou Williams

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I don't see any reason PHO would trade Okafor's valuable contract and a 1st rounder for Brandon Bass, the corpse of Gerald Wallace and Sweet Lou Williams

+1

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:57:18 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
As I wrote in another thread, the 3 way is more likely to be Golden State, Atlanta and Boston with Golden State getting Bass and Atlanta getting Speights and Jeff Green. Boston will have to take Brand(expiring) and Williams in order to get picks and Schroeder

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
As I wrote in another thread, the 3 way is more likely to be Golden State, Atlanta and Boston with Golden State getting Bass and Atlanta getting Speights and Jeff Green. Boston will have to take Brand(expiring) and Williams in order to get picks and Schroeder
sounds like a more reasonable deal to me

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Phoenix gives up a mediocre big in Frye, and Okafor's expiring to acquire players who can contribute to a playoff run.

Channing Frye is a starter and arguably their third-best player this season.  They are not trading him unless they are getting a clear upgrade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

+1

X2
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 12:42:31 AM »

Offline demiurg

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
Frye is a better player than Bass. And the Suns take on Wallace's terrible contract and add a 1st? Are you drunk?

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 12:49:48 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't know that Frye is better than Bass, but it's not a clear upgrade, and Barbosa's giving them a lot of what they'd get from Sweet Lou. No way they take on Crash's contract and give up a first along with Okafor's expiring. That package gets them Pau Gasol. Okafor's contract is paying out that sweet sweet insurance money right now.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 01:17:55 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

I guarantee you that nearly every single team in the NBA (save for some tanking teams) would rather have Channing Frye over Brandon Bass.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 02:23:17 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

I guarantee you that nearly every single team in the NBA (save for some tanking teams) would rather have Channing Frye over Brandon Bass.
That despite Bass having a better career PER and TS% and being a better defensive player from every stat I've seen. Younger too and less foul prone. Just goes to show you that NBA GMs don't check stats.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 03:05:11 AM »

Offline demiurg

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
You're clueless.
That despite Bass having a better career PER and TS% and being a better defensive player from every stat I've seen. Younger too and less foul prone. Just goes to show you that NBA GMs don't check stats.
Frye is a better rim protector and post defender than Bass and his 3-point shooting provides spacing and opens driving lanes to the rim for guards. Frye's on/off court +/- stats are elite.

Opponent FG% at rim:
Frye 49.5%
Bass 51.3%

Points per play allowed on post ups:
Frye 0.76 (148 plays)
Bass 0.92 (118 plays)

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 03:26:45 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I'm not a fan of PER, but if you only compare Frye's time in Phoenix vs Bass in Boston, Frye has a better PER and TS%. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 04:20:44 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13

One of the few trades on here that seems to make some sense. Bass is an upgrade to GSW's bench for a playoff run and provides CONSISTENT scoring (which they don't currently have on their bench), Atlanta picks up JG to fill a need at SF beside Millsap and when he returns Horford, C's get Schroeder as a back-up initially and eventual future piece as well as another pick and boost chances of falling this season by getting rid of JG. I actually don't mind it.
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 07:50:21 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
You're clueless.
Frye is a better rim protector and post defender than Bass and his 3-point shooting provides spacing and opens driving lanes to the rim for guards. Frye's on/off court +/- stats are elite.

Opponent FG% at rim:
Frye 49.5%
Bass 51.3%

Points per play allowed on post ups:
Frye 0.76 (148 plays)
Bass 0.92 (118 plays)
You're cherrypicking stats off of Synergy.  Bass's defensive stats are superior overall.