Author Topic: Would you? Hardaway, Felton and 3 first rounders for Rondo  (Read 5677 times)

Re: Would you? Hardaway, Felton and 3 first rounders for Rondo
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

This is wayyyy outside the realm of possibility.

But the answer is yes, of course. That's like asking me if I would give up my salary this year for, like, a full pension.

It's like asking if you'd give up your salary for the next 4-5 years for a pension of indeterminate size. Might be a full pension, might not cover your cell phone bill.

BBT I'm starting to feel like you would like the phrase "or not" automatically added to every post I write.

We're talking about assets that have a maturity date and a real market value that will go up as maturity approaches. You can sell them or you can take your chance on the picks themselves, but you will have tons of decide how to cash in. Furthermore, the more picks you have, the better hedged you are against risk. 3 first round picks is worth a great deal in trade.

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

This is wayyyy outside the realm of possibility.

But the answer is yes, of course. That's like asking me if I would give up my salary this year for, like, a full pension.

It's like asking if you'd give up your salary for the next 4-5 years for a pension of indeterminate size. Might be a full pension, might not cover your cell phone bill.

BBT I'm starting to feel like you would like the phrase "or not" automatically added to every post I write.

We're talking about assets that have a maturity date and a real market value that will go up as maturity approaches. You can sell them or you can take your chance on the picks themselves, but you will have tons of decide how to cash in. Furthermore, the more picks you have, the better hedged you are against risk. 3 first round picks is worth a great deal in trade.

You're talking about assets that only go up in value under certain circumstances. If the team that gave up the pick is good the value of the pick drops as you get closer to the "maturity date".

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
No I wouldn't. A rondo trade needs to bring back as close to a sure thing as possible. Nothing here from the Knicks is remotely close to that.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 06:21:24 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Those two aren't franchise changers. They also aren't anything value wise worth what Rondo is to the Celtics. 3 first rounders would be great, but as everyone stated Knicks cannot trade away their picks, plus Dolan cannot be that stupid enough to commit that far into the future.

Neither is Rondo. Rondo is going to be an albatross contract next time around. 2018 is when the Celtics should start competing again vs Western Conference teams. Id take this deal and run. Clears the decks for the Celtics to get worse for the next few years while accumulating franchise changing talent.

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Those two aren't franchise changers. They also aren't anything value wise worth what Rondo is to the Celtics. 3 first rounders would be great, but as everyone stated Knicks cannot trade away their picks, plus Dolan cannot be that stupid enough to commit that far into the future.

Neither is Rondo. Rondo is going to be an albatross contract next time around. 2018 is when the Celtics should start competing again vs Western Conference teams. Id take this deal and run. Clears the decks for the Celtics to get worse for the next few years while accumulating franchise changing talent.

Rondo is a franchise player. I'm amazed at how many people on this forum belittle or want to trade Rondo for scraps of garbage...

Every time I go on Houston Rockets blog when they were praying for the possibility of Rondo in the offseason, they held him in such high regard. Simply hoping his value would drop after his injury. Its amazing how we as Celtics fan can say we want to trade him so readily.

As for Rondo being an albatross contract? Explain? Do you even know if he wants a max contract? Do you know besides him and Joakim Noah, they have two of the best contracts for above average Allstars?

And how do you know if there is franchise changing talent? Are you a mind reader? Do you have a crystal ball?

I'd rather Danny Ainge try to compete next year, and build up an strong team with young core through picks and assets, that can contend for 5-6 years. We'll still have our picks, and plenty of talent to go around.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 07:40:54 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum

Rondo is a franchise player. I'm amazed at how many people on this forum belittle or want to trade Rondo for scraps of garbage...

Every time I go on Houston Rockets blog when they were praying for the possibility of Rondo in the offseason, they held him in such high regard. Simply hoping his value would drop after his injury. Its amazing how we as Celtics fan can say we want to trade him so readily.

As for Rondo being an albatross contract? Explain? Do you even know if he wants a max contract? Do you know besides him and Joakim Noah, they have two of the best contracts for above average Allstars?

And how do you know if there is franchise changing talent? Are you a mind reader? Do you have a crystal ball?

I'd rather Danny Ainge try to compete next year, and build up an strong team with young core through picks and assets, that can contend for 5-6 years. We'll still have our picks, and plenty of talent to go around.

So Rondo is comparable to LeBron, Durant, Chris Paul, Paul George, pre injury Derrick Rose, Davis, Duncan, Kobe (pre injury) etc.... Because those are true franchise players. Rondo is being very overrated. His contract right now is his actual value but some dumb GM such as Dumars will pay him the max. I can assure you that someone will overpay thinking that they'll be getting an all star PG and find out they paid a glorified role player a lot of money. I wouldn't give Noah close to the max either. If you're giving a player the max contract you better make [dang] sure he's flawless or as close to that as possible. Is Rondo a solid player? Sure. Is he good? Sure. Is he a star? Absolutely not. He sure isn't worth 3 draft picks and Hardaway Jr.

The 2014 draft is going to produce a few franchise changing talents. I remember how everyone called Davis overhyped and not a sure thing coming out of the draft a few years ago....how would you like him now? Drummond? Lillard? All guys I would take over anyone on the Celtics right now.

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

So Rondo is comparable to LeBron, Durant, Chris Paul, Paul George, pre injury Derrick Rose, Davis, Duncan, Kobe (pre injury) etc.... Because those are true franchise players. Rondo is being very overrated. His contract right now is his actual value but some dumb GM such as Dumars will pay him the max. I can assure you that someone will overpay thinking that they'll be getting an all star PG and find out they paid a glorified role player a lot of money. I wouldn't give Noah close to the max either. If you're giving a player the max contract you better make [dang] sure he's flawless or as close to that as possible. Is Rondo a solid player? Sure. Is he good? Sure. Is he a star? Absolutely not. He sure isn't worth 3 draft picks and Hardaway Jr.

The 2014 draft is going to produce a few franchise changing talents. I remember how everyone called Davis overhyped and not a sure thing coming out of the draft a few years ago....how would you like him now? Drummond? Lillard? All guys I would take over anyone on the Celtics right now.

Lol... Don't know what to say... I don't know who called Davis overhyped... He performed very well for USA basketball... As for Drummond? I'd wanted him badly. Lillard not so much, but I still would take a healthy Rondo over Lillard.

But I'm not going to sway your opinion.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The only way a trade happens

To nyn: rondo, wallace, bass
To bos: stoudermire, hardaway jr., udrih, 2018 and 2020 1st

I really like hardaway jr. Looking like a deadly shooter. Has score more then 30 a few time this year

Ppl of course would want more for rondo but knicks dont have much to offer. At least they can eat two of our long term contract.

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 10:01:07 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Rondo went to the last 4 all-star games and was 3rd team all-nba in his last full season. If you think that he's not an all-star but a glorified role player you must not follow the team too closely.

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum

Rondo went to the last 4 all-star games and was 3rd team all-nba in his last full season. If you think that he's not an all-star but a glorified role player you must not follow the team too closely.

How many of those came without being around PP and KG?

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

How many of those came without being around PP and KG?

What's the difference? How many all-star games did Malone go to without Stockton, or Stockton without Malone? How many did Parrish and McHale go to without Bird? It's probably more relevent to ask if PP and KG and RA would have gone to fewer all-star games without Rondo than the other way around.

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
If Rondo has guys that can finish he's an allstar. PP KG & RA were about as good as anyone can hope for. Rondo has learned to deliver to guys off picks, and he's been making JG look like a stronger player recently by more consistently getting him the ball in good situations.

Rondo is surely a solid allstar.