Author Topic: Bulls want Melo? I feel like we can offer more.  (Read 7417 times)

Re: Bulls want Melo? I feel like we can offer more.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 04:20:41 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
If I am the knicks, i take my chances on keeping Carmelo. Where else is he going to go that will be better? Dallas or Phoenix would be his only hope, if those teams even want to pony up the 20 million per year to get him.

And if Melo does bolt, the knicks just have to wait a year and then they have a pile of cap room to use to chase a combination of rondo, Kevin love, millsap, Marc gasol, etc. in 2015.

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
If I am the knicks, i take my chances on keeping Carmelo. Where else is he going to go that will be better? Dallas or Phoenix would be his only hope, if those teams even want to pony up the 20 million per year to get him.

And if Melo does bolt, the knicks just have to wait a year and then they have a pile of cap room to use to chase a combination of rondo, Kevin love, millsap, Marc gasol, etc. in 2015.

for some reason, I just had this popped up in my head

what do a free agent really look for when signing with any team? management? fun? weather? fans? championships? or just whoever offers them money

Like, Boston, in my opinion, Boston has great management under Danny Ainge, to an extent, probably the Lakers before Buss died, Miami looks like they have good management under Riley.

Compare to Cle, like who wants to sign there in that kind of mess.

Is it really our weather that is preventing top free agents from signing with us?

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 04:33:46 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

what do a free agent really look for when signing with any team? management? fun? weather? fans? championships? or just whoever offers them money

Like, Boston, in my opinion, Boston has great management under Danny Ainge, to an extent, probably the Lakers before Buss died, Miami looks like they have good management under Riley.

Is it really our weather that is preventing top free agents from signing with us?

New York will always have the appeal of the bright lights, 24/7. The weather is an edge. I dont think it is the end all be all. I see it more as a tie breaker.

First and foremost the team has to have the ability to pay.
...followed by quality of teammates (which is also kind of a reflection of management).
...followed by the nightlife.
...followed by state tax free contracts
...followed by weather.

If boston has a nice young nucleus winning games, getting into the playoffs, and open salary space for a max free agent, i am sure they will have players who want to wear the green.

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 04:35:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Is this any different then "the Knicks want Rondo and this is what they can offer"?

The Bulls may want him, but do they really have the goods to go get him?

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Is this any different then "the Knicks want Rondo and this is what they can offer"?

The Bulls may want him, but do they really have the goods to go get him?

They have the goods to get him, absolutely.  It's a question of whether they want to part with those goods.

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 04:40:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Lost in all this silly talk about the Knicks wanting Rondo, I've felt for a while now that Ainge likely has his eyes on Melo in FA this summer.

If he can dump Green and Bass, he's got max money, Rondo, Sully, Chris Johnson (kidding) and a young lottery pick to offer... not to mention Stevens, and the house that Russell, Havlicek, Bird, etc built.

I can't say I support the idea. But I wouldn't put it past Ainge.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 04:43:13 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

New York will always have the appeal of the bright lights, 24/7. The weather is an edge. I dont think it is the end all be all. I see it more as a tie breaker.

First and foremost the team has to have the ability to pay.
...followed by quality of teammates (which is also kind of a reflection of management).
...followed by the nightlife.
...followed by state tax free contracts
...followed by weather.

If boston has a nice young nucleus winning games, getting into the playoffs, and open salary space for a max free agent, i am sure they will have players who want to wear the green.

nice break down. So I guess Miami actually breaks all 4 of your examples

-Ability to pay - check
-Management - check
-Nightlife - check
-Tax Free - well, not tax free, but much lower taxes, but check
-weather - check

I think Danny Ainge can pull another KG type deal. Even if the players don't want to come to Boston, we give them a reason to join Boston like in 2007. KG heard Ray Allen was coming, so he finally went along with being traded to us. And in my opinion, you can always find nightlife whichever team you go. So I think weather and bright lights, being on center stage is another huge factor.

LA - Hollywood
NY - Madison Sq. Garden, Broadway, etc

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 04:55:53 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Lost in all this silly talk about the Knicks wanting Rondo, I've felt for a while now that Ainge likely has his eyes on Melo in FA this summer.

If he can dump Green and Bass, he's got max money, Rondo, Sully, Chris Johnson (kidding) and a young lottery pick to offer... not to mention Stevens, and the house that Russell, Havlicek, Bird, etc built.

I can't say I support the idea. But I wouldn't put it past Ainge.

That would be very interesting. I bet Ainge has tried prying Okafor's expiring contract from Phoenix.  Feel like Boston and Phoenix have to be 2 of the biggest players on the market right now, with all their draft picks and moveable contracts.

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 05:09:14 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The only teams that will trade for Melo are the ones that he intends to extend with. That means that having the most to offer only matters if either he wants to go to your city or you are willing to take him with no guarantees.

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 05:47:55 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
The only teams that will trade for Melo are the ones that he intends to extend with. That means that having the most to offer only matters if either he wants to go to your city or you are willing to take him with no guarantees.

Everyone will have to take him with no guarantees because he is ineligible for an extend and trade due to his early termination option.