Author Topic: Bulls want Melo? I feel like we can offer more.  (Read 7414 times)

Bulls want Melo? I feel like we can offer more.
« on: February 10, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Here's a link to the article that discusses the potential deal.

http://hoops-nation.com/nba-rumors-bulls-talking-carmelo-anthony-trade-knicks/

The deal is Melo, Shump, and Felton for Butler, Snell, Boozer's contract, and maybe a late first. I think the Knicks are giving up a lot and gaining little in this scenario.

If a deal like this really is in talks, I feel like Melo for Green, Bradley, Hump, and a first would be more interesting to NYK.

Re: Bulls want Melo? I feel like we can offer more.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:13:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If you're trading for Melo you need to be confident he'll resign with your team.

I don't see how Boston can achieve that as it stands. Chicago is a playoff team who have kept afloat without Deng/Rose this year.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Here's a link to the article that discusses the potential deal.

http://hoops-nation.com/nba-rumors-bulls-talking-carmelo-anthony-trade-knicks/

The deal is Melo, Shump, and Felton for Butler, Snell, Boozer's contract, and maybe a late first. I think the Knicks are giving up a lot and gaining little in this scenario.

If a deal like this really is in talks, I feel like Melo for Green, Bradley, Hump, and a first would be more interesting to NYK.

Not accurate. Why would the Knicks do this? Butler? Late first pick, and Tony Snell? You kidding me?

A package of Jeff Green, Humphries, Bradley, and 1 or 2 firsts would be a better deal.

Either way, I think a Bulls fan or reporter wrote this. This hasn't officially been reported, so I doubt the validity of this rumor.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Melo will never win a title. If you acquire him you will stay a treadmill team. No established guys on this team please. Don't add to the suckage, blow it up and build a dynasty.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:21:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't think NY wants to trade Carmelo at all, but if they do I think they'd have to get out from under Amar'e's deal in addition to getting quality assets in return.  Don't see Chicago signing up for that if they can help it.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 02:38:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Melo will never win a title. If you acquire him you will stay a treadmill team. No established guys on this team please. Don't add to the suckage, blow it up and build a dynasty.

You really have no idea how unlikely it is that you'll end up with a dynasty if you blow it up, do you?

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 02:43:11 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think NY wants to trade Carmelo at all, but if they do I think they'd have to get out from under Amar'e's deal in addition to getting quality assets in return.  Don't see Chicago signing up for that if they can help it.

I really can't envision the Knicks trading Melo either.

The PR 'nightmare' that would result is probably too much for Dolan.  I suspect Dolan would rather lose Melo to free agency than trade him and  acknowledge the failure the last few seasons have been.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

The PR 'nightmare' that would result is probably too much for Dolan.  I suspect Dolan would rather lose Melo to free agency than trade him and  acknowledge the failure the last few seasons have been.

another coach/GM that needs to be fired? The Melo experiment has been a failure in my opinion. Yes they "finally" got back to the playoffs, finally "won a playoff series"...but they never even reached the conference finals. And they traded almost everybody for Melo

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 03:26:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I agree but I think it's less because of PR than because of the air of dumb entitled arrogance that seems to permeate the organization, from ownership on down.  The Knicks don't trade stars, they trade FOR stars, dang it!

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 03:27:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

another coach/GM that needs to be fired? The Melo experiment has been a failure in my opinion. Yes they "finally" got back to the playoffs, finally "won a playoff series"...but they never even reached the conference finals. And they traded almost everybody for Melo

Oh, I think trading Melo would be the smart move for NY, but I just don't see it happening.  I doubt Dolan can swallow his pride.

NY gave up too many assets to acquire Melo, and Stoudemire deteriorating was just too much for NY to overcome.  I find it difficult to believe Melo will stay.  He shouldn't.

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I agree, but at the same time if they can get rid of some dead weight and re-stock the shelves I think they have to consider it.

Something like this makes sense (Boston would need Melo to opt in to the final year of his contract)

Boston - Anthony, Chandler, Smith
New York - Humphries, Green, Bogans, Bradley, Faverani, Ezeli, 2014 Brooklyn 1st, 2015 Boston 1st, 2015 Philadelphia 1st
Golden State - Bass

So post trade Boston is

PG - Rondo, Bayless, Pressey
SG - Smith, Johnson, Bayless
SF - Anthony, Wallace
PF - Sullinger, Olynyk
C - Chandler, Anthony

Team is still probably a piece away from title contention, but would certainly be a team that could scare contenders.  Boston still would have a bunch of assets to make other moves as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
I seriously doubt any team with championship thoughts wants Anthony. He is great for the fans because he is a scoring machine. But as a vital cog on a championship team I really have my doubts. He has always seemed like the ultimate coach killer in my opinion. Great players make their teammates better. Anthony is all about his own shots.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 03:37:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I agree, but at the same time if they can get rid of some dead weight and re-stock the shelves I think they have to consider it.

Something like this makes sense (Boston would need Melo to opt in to the final year of his contract)

New York - Humphries, Green, Bogans, Bradley, Faverani, Ezeli, 2014 Brooklyn 1st, 2015 Boston 1st, 2015 Philadelphia 1st
Golden State - Bass

So post trade Boston is

SF - Anthony, Wallace
PF - Sullinger, Olynyk
C - Chandler, Anthony

Team is still probably a piece away from title contention, but would certainly be a team that could scare contenders.  Boston still would have a bunch of assets to make other moves as well.

If I'm Danny I would ultimately pull the trigger, but I sure would try to not have JR Smith included in the deal.

The fact we would still have assets remaining (picks) is a huge factor.  Wallace will eventually be expiring, and by 2015 offseason will likely be movable with just one pick (maybe multiple picks for an all-star).  He'd make good salary filler to add that last piece.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 03:53:55 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Golden State - Bass

So post trade Boston is

SF - Anthony, Wallace
PF - Sullinger, Olynyk
C - Chandler, Anthony

If I'm Danny I would ultimately pull the trigger, but I sure would try to not have JR Smith included in the deal.

The fact we would still have assets remaining (picks) is a huge factor.  Wallace will eventually be expiring, and by 2015 offseason will likely be movable with just one pick (maybe multiple picks for an all-star).  He'd make good salary filler to add that last piece.

I think while JR Smith hasn't made smart decisions. I believe if JR Smith can ever regain his sixth man type of performance, and be able to get some easy shots from some great passes from Rondo. I don't see why not.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 04:03:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think the two of them combined make too much money to move together. Very hard to make a trade for $40 million incoming work.