Author Topic: Rumor: Bass has trade interest from Suns, Warriors, Bobcats  (Read 34317 times)

Re: Rumor: Bass has trade interest from Suns, Warriors, Bobcats
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2014, 11:51:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
When I see these "rumors" I automatically don't believe them as far as a deal getting done... the only time I believe a trade is going to happen is when it's done and the "rumor" says deal almost done by someone like Woj. We never know when a trade is happening until it's done, Celts do a good job of keeping things in house. When's the last time we heard about a Celts trade before it was done? Not the PP and KG Nets deal... we heard about it b/c the sides already agreed to it but had to wait for PP's contract to be guaranteed. We didn't know about Crawford to GSW until it was done either... even though people presented it as a rumor, the deal had already been done. We didn't know about Perk for Green either.

We are always in the dark about trades. Let me know when it's done.

Ainge may keep things quiet, but some of these teams have been pretty obviously searching for a power forward.  Bass is one of the few starter-caliber PFs available with a non-ridiculous contract.  Ainge could probably give away Bass for practically nothing, but he should probably hold out for more value than something like an expiring contract and a second-round pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2014, 12:14:30 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
When I see these "rumors" I automatically don't believe them as far as a deal getting done... the only time I believe a trade is going to happen is when it's done and the "rumor" says deal almost done by someone like Woj. We never know when a trade is happening until it's done, Celts do a good job of keeping things in house. When's the last time we heard about a Celts trade before it was done? Not the PP and KG Nets deal... we heard about it b/c the sides already agreed to it but had to wait for PP's contract to be guaranteed. We didn't know about Crawford to GSW until it was done either... even though people presented it as a rumor, the deal had already been done. We didn't know about Perk for Green either.

Ainge may keep things quiet, but some of these teams have been pretty obviously searching for a power forward.  Bass is one of the few starter-caliber PFs available with a non-ridiculous contract.  Ainge could probably give away Bass for practically nothing, but he should probably hold out for more value than something like an expiring contract and a second-round pick.

I'm usually with Shak in agreeing that most deals Ainge has pulled off have been kept really quiet, but in this case I think Ainge himself might have an incentive to make this chatter public.

I'd guess that other GMs view Ainge as talking tough but ultimately desperate to unload a few of his better players by the deadline. So, if PHO thinks they are the only suitor for Bass, they will really lowball Danny.

Ainge might be trying to kindle a mini bidding war.

Just a theory, of course.

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 12:23:31 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I know there are calls and probably a lot of things they might do but I don't listen to these rumors anymore because the deals that get done are not close to the rumors proposed. I'm sure many teams have called for a number of our guys but the deals we do, won't be ones we see rumors about, at least that's been the case since I became a fan.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 12:52:26 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I know there are calls and probably a lot of things they might do but I don't listen to these rumors anymore because the deals that get done are not close to the rumors proposed. I'm sure many teams have called for a number of our guys but the deals we do, won't be ones we see rumors about, at least that's been the case since I became a fan.

I agree 100% about the recent history. I in fact made the same argument when the Asik rumor mill was churning - it was way too public for the typical Danny Ainge deal.

I just think the current scenario is a little different. I don't think we've had - in recent history anyway - a situation in which the Celts so clearly have almost everyone on the block.

I guess we'll find out for sure in the next 10 days. For me personally it's my second favorite time of year, when the Celtics are bad anyway. The best is the draft.

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 01:09:19 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

I agree 100% about the recent history. I in fact made the same argument when the Asik rumor mill was churning - it was way too public for the typical Danny Ainge deal.

TP.4 U  :)
The more you hear the less likely Danny will be involved in THAT trade the way it is PUBLICLY considered and constructed.

The hiring of Stevens...go back...EVERYBODY was blown because nobody saw it...right after the embarrassing debacle with Sterling he reminded folks he CAN do stuff with nobody knowing if the others involved keep the trap shut.

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 03:14:18 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Well, Morey did say a possible deal was killed at the ownership level.

I'd guess that when Ainge is the one doing the chasing after a deal, he works quickly and doesn't allow a lot of time for details to leak.  When other GMs are the ones doing the inquiring, they probably take more time.

When it seems a move is obvious, people probably have a better time piercing Ainge's fog of war and putting together details for a possible trade.  When people are unsure what he is after, details are harder to substantiate and reports are more likely to be educated guesses rather than a solid rumor.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2014, 04:08:33 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
What would you prefer in a Brandon Bass trade:
-a second-round pick and an expiring contract
-a lottery-protected first-round pick and a worse player on a non-expiring contract
-no trade at the deadline and try again during the off-season

Of those options, I would take the second round pick on an expiring contract.

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2014, 05:08:12 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I would wait until all rumors die and then Ainge would pull the table cloth without toppling the glasses.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2014, 05:30:07 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Rondo, Bass for Kemba, MKG, Detroit's pick, Portland's pick.

Yuck...no thanks.  Rondo is far superior to Kemba Walker, and MKG looks like he's going to be a mediocre role player his entire career. He's looking like he MIGHT one day become Trevor Ariza...maybe.

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2014, 05:33:46 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
What would you prefer in a Brandon Bass trade:
-a second-round pick and an expiring contract
-a lottery-protected first-round pick and a worse player on a non-expiring contract
-no trade at the deadline and try again during the off-season

You left out the "a good player" option, like Asik.

Problem - Asik is not a good player.

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2014, 05:39:13 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

TP.4 U  :)
The more you hear the less likely Danny will be involved in THAT trade the way it is PUBLICLY considered and constructed.

The hiring of Stevens...go back...EVERYBODY was blown because nobody saw it...right after the embarrassing debacle with Sterling he reminded folks he CAN do stuff with nobody knowing if the others involved keep the trap shut.

Let's not forget about the "Doc to the Clippers" and "Pierce and KG to the Nets".

Both of those deals were splattered all over the news, and were practically talked about as 'fact' long before they were confirmed.

Personally there is not a single guy on this team that I want gone more than Bass.  Not even Wallace.  At least Wallace fills a role that's needed backup SF) and if we lost him we'd have a  big gap at that position.  Bass on the other hand is at the one position we are most staked with, and he's arguably the worst player we have at that position.

I'd take anything for Bass as long as it doesn't involve bringing back a mini-wallace deal (i.e. bad player on a multi-year deal).  If a team offered a second round pick for him straight up (and a willingness to absorb his contract) then I would take it in a hearbeat.  Anybody on an expiring contract? Done.

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Rondo, Bass for Kemba, MKG, Detroit's pick, Portland's pick.

Yuck...no thanks.  Rondo is far superior to Kemba Walker, and MKG looks like he's going to be a mediocre role player his entire career. He's looking like he MIGHT one day become Trevor Ariza...maybe.

Walker is playing well and you get two picks in the 2014 draft. Why wouldn't you make the deal? It's Rondo not a franchise player. Plus you dump Bass.

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2014, 05:56:28 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I have a feeling that February 19th Suns game is going to be a wild one--and Danny's trading probably won't even be over.

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2014, 06:47:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

You're right that often the deal that happens is the deal we don't hear about until it's already finished.  However, the rumors, at least the credible ones, tend to give a sense of what kind of things the team is looking to do.  Last year there wasn't much chatter at all and the team only made a minor move. 

This year, we're getting some pretty significant chatter a week and a half out from the deadline, and the team has already made two trades so far this season.  I'd be surprised if Danny does nothing.

I thought there was a lot of trade chatter last year, especially the KG (and PP) to the Clips rumors.

I remember reading some rumors about Ainge "shopping" KG and Pierce, but it never got off the ground to sound plausible at any point.  Trade deadline day was disappointingly quiet as far as Danny Ainge rumors go.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2014, 07:06:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
  Trade deadline day was disappointingly quiet as far as Danny Ainge rumors go.

Yep and it could easily go the other way too.   This is the guy who sent AW and AJ packing.