Author Topic: Rumor: Bass has trade interest from Suns, Warriors, Bobcats  (Read 34245 times)

Re: Rumor: Bass has trade interest from Suns, Warriors, Bobcats
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2014, 01:57:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not sure how the specifics would work but I get the funny feeling if Bass is gone its to a team that has never been mentioned in trade rumors. That's kind of the way Danny works.

So my guess is if Bass is gone its to a team not mentioned but in need of a solid bench role playing PF.

Someone like Portland for example.
I think the issue with Portland is they don't have contracts to match with for role players like Bass.

Looking at their roster, they do have bench guys in the $2-3 million range who can be packaged together, but Bass to Portland is the sort of trade which was made less possible by signing Chris Johnson for the rest of the season.

Is anyone distraught if signing CJ killed a deal such as Bass for Dorell Wright, Meyers Leonard, and Allen Crabbe?
Why would it? We can still waive him or some of the others traded if necessary.

« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Not sure how the specifics would work but I get the funny feeling if Bass is gone its to a team that has never been mentioned in trade rumors. That's kind of the way Danny works.

So my guess is if Bass is gone its to a team not mentioned but in need of a solid bench role playing PF.

I think the issue with Portland is they don't have contracts to match with for role players like Bass.

Looking at their roster, they do have bench guys in the $2-3 million range who can be packaged together, but Bass to Portland is the sort of trade which was made less possible by signing Chris Johnson for the rest of the season.

Is anyone distraught if signing CJ killed a deal such as Bass for Dorell Wright, Meyers Leonard, and Allen Crabbe?

You have to have empty roster spots to accept the extra players in the deal.  You can't go over 15 before waiving anyone, even if you plan to waive them immediately.

I haven't done the math, but I think the Celtics are close enough to the tax threshold that Johnson's deal could have provided the necessary margin for a deal that doesn't get done.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2014, 02:29:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

My 2nd guess is there would be a third team involved as well.

But Portland is just a guess. It could be any team currently not hot on the rumor mill.

« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

You have to have empty roster spots to accept the extra players in the deal.  You can't go over 15 before waiving anyone, even if you plan to waive them immediately.

I haven't done the math, but I think the Celtics are close enough to the tax threshold that Johnson's deal could have provided the necessary margin for a deal that doesn't get done.

I count 14 rostered players.

Re: a deal with Portland, Bass for Leonard, Claver, and a minimum level contract player (Barton or Watson) to a third team with an open roster slot should work without necessitating dropping anyone.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2014, 04:02:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I count 14 rostered players.

Re: a deal with Portland, Bass for Leonard, Claver, and a minimum level contract player (Barton or Watson) to a third team with an open roster slot should work without necessitating dropping anyone.

For a team to legally do a trade in which they give up one player and get three in return, they would have to start out with no more than 13 players on the roster.  They end up with (13-1+3) players on the roster.

Finding a third team to accept the extra player is certainly an option.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Couldn't they just waive a player after the deal is agreed to but before it's executed? 

I don't really know, but trade execution is certainly separate than agreement - we agreed to the KG/Pierce deal on draft day but it didn't go through til like July 8th.

« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2014, 04:10:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
They can waive a player already on the roster (Pressey or Johnson, preumably) but they can't immediately waive an incoming player to get down to the roster limit of 15.  They need to have the clear roster spots to make the trade before executing the deal.

« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2014, 04:11:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Gotcha.  So it's problematic if we need to take a 3rd guy to make salaries work but have the intent of immediately waiving him.

« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2014, 04:13:37 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Gotcha.  So it's problematic if we need to take a 3rd guy to make salaries work but have the intent of immediately waiving him.

Meh. Just pay Philly to take on the extra guy.

Chicago only has 12 on roster, and must finish with 13, so they're another candidate. They have lux tax issues to contend with, and not much room, but a min contract should be feasible, I think.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague