Author Topic: Monroe anyone?  (Read 12237 times)

Re: Monroe anyone?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 09:06:03 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I don't want Monroe , we'd have too small a front line.

If green is to go to Detroit, I'd take a three team deal. In which that other team gets Monroe , we get expirings and a couple picks along with maybe one young player.

Pretty sure Monroe is 7" with shoes, which puts him right up there with most center length. I would do a trade for him in a heart beat; JG and a pick seems more than fair enough, but the numbers won't work. May JG and AB for Monroe and Stuckey. Both teams get guys that need to be resigned, and both get guys that fill a need. AB for Stuckey is about even, and it makes the money work. Add in LAC first to sweeten the deal. Sign Hayward in the off season and BOOM!! rebuild almost done. Maybe we get a Parker/Wiggins or a Exum in the draft.

Monroe is 6'10 with shoes , and isn't the defensive center we need.

I agree. He is a better player than Asik but not a better fit for this team. As someone mentioned earlier, he creates spacing problems down low with Sully even if JS does have some ability to stretch defenses out to the 3-point line on occasion. I think they could work around the spacing issues if Monroe brought a lot to the table defensively, but he doesn't. His defense is a big negative.

Asik doesn't have anywhere near Monroe's offensive skills, but he would change this team's defensive identity. Much better fit IMHO.

Now, if Detroit makes a panic move and sells him for 50cents on the dollar, I have no problem getting him to flip to someone else.

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 09:09:42 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens

He's 6'9.75'' without shoes, so I really doubt this is true.

Yes at the draft combine he was measured at 6'9.75" without shoes and 6'11 with.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/05/25/combine.measurements/index.html

ESPN currently lists him as 6'11 and typically lists players with their "with shoes" height.

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Detroit could really use Jeff Green so they could push Josh Smith back to PF. But then it just depends on what else you're willing to part with. Jeff Green, Avery Bradley and a pick? Probably how much it would take but seems too expensive for me.

Green, Bradley and a pick?  To me that's way too much for Monroe. 

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I don't want Monroe , we'd have too small a front line.

If green is to go to Detroit, I'd take a three team deal. In which that other team gets Monroe , we get expirings and a couple picks along with maybe one young player.

Pretty sure Monroe is 7" with shoes, which puts him right up there with most center length. I would do a trade for him in a heart beat; JG and a pick seems more than fair enough, but the numbers won't work. May JG and AB for Monroe and Stuckey. Both teams get guys that need to be resigned, and both get guys that fill a need. AB for Stuckey is about even, and it makes the money work. Add in LAC first to sweeten the deal. Sign Hayward in the off season and BOOM!! rebuild almost done. Maybe we get a Parker/Wiggins or a Exum in the draft.

I agree. He is a better player than Asik but not a better fit for this team. As someone mentioned earlier, he creates spacing problems down low with Sully even if JS does have some ability to stretch defenses out to the 3-point line on occasion. I think they could work around the spacing issues if Monroe brought a lot to the table defensively, but he doesn't. His defense is a big negative.

Asik doesn't have anywhere near Monroe's offensive skills, but he would change this team's defensive identity. Much better fit IMHO.

Now, if Detroit makes a panic move and sells him for 50cents on the dollar, I have no problem getting him to flip to someone else.
I think Sully and Monroe would be fine, but you still do need that third player who would have to be defensive minded.  On the last page I thought something like Green, Bass, Olynyk, Clippers for Monroe, Jerekbo, and Villanueva would be a fair offer.  If Boston could also somehow land Asik I think that would set the team up very well, maybe make it a 3 team trade (they are fine as individual trades also)

Boston - Asik, Monroe, Villanueva, Jerebko
Houston - Bass, Bradley, Faverani, Philly pick, 2015 Kings 2nd
Detroit - Green, Bogans, Olynyk, Clippers 1st

I think this is a reasonable trade for all 3 teams, Boston then has a 3 man big rotation of Asik, Monroe, Sullinger all with about 32 minutes (which is probably better for them anyway).  Boston then picks up a wing or two in the draft and is in pretty good shape in building a contender.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
Detroit could really use Jeff Green so they could push Josh Smith back to PF. But then it just depends on what else you're willing to part with. Jeff Green, Avery Bradley and a pick? Probably how much it would take but seems too expensive for me.

Green, Bradley and a pick?  To me that's way too much for Monroe.

Whether this is too much or a steal depends upon the pick. If it's our 2014 first, it's more than I want to pay.

If it's the 2015 Clippers pick or the heavily protected Philly pick, then I think it represents too good value to pass up.

I don't like the potential of a Sully/Monroe front court but for that price, I'd gladly give them the chance to prove me wrong. Even if I'm right and the spacing and defense issues are too great, I can easily recoup my investment plus in a later trade.

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Green, Bradley, and the Clips 1st for Monroe and Charlie V sounds like a fair trade to me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think any trade that would net a possible center that would need a long commitment after this year is premature given if the Celtics hit the draft lottery, they could have Joel Embiid on a rookie contract for the next 4 years.

Patience Celtic Nation.

Trades will be made but I seriously doubt any will be made for any player that is going to have to need a large salary committed over along period until after the Celtics know exactly where they stand in this year's draft.

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think any trade that would net a possible center that would need a long commitment after this year is premature given if the Celtics hit the draft lottery, they could have Joel Embiid on a rookie contract for the next 4 years.

Patience Celtic Nation.

Trades will be made but I seriously doubt any will be made for any player that is going to have to need a large salary committed over along period until after the Celtics know exactly where they stand in this year's draft.

I agree. A move for Monroe and a near max deal extension right away would be an attempt at a home run trade. And hit or miss, it would significantly shape the future of the team.

I think Danny Ainge is very content making singles or doubles with his trades this season.
 A lot could change during/after the draft, based on where and who they pick.

Ideally, they land a couple really nice players in the next 2 drafts, clear some of the high paid role players' salaries, and then make the big move after that.

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Patience Celtic Nation.

Embiid and Monroe would be fine together.  The bigger concern would be getting a guy like Randle and already having Sullinger and Monroe on the team.  A trio of Sullinger, Monroe, and Embiid would be awesome (similar to the one of Asik, Sully, and Monroe I proposed earlier), but wouldn't work all that well with Randle instead of Embiid.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
http://fansided.com/2014/02/10/nba-trade-rumors-detroit-pistons-asking-price-greg-monroe-excessively-high/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

Sounds like detroit want an all-star(rondo) or a high pick back for monroe. Sorry , I have no interest in giving up rondo or a top 5 pick for him, undersized center with not much defense.

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
http://fansided.com/2014/02/10/nba-trade-rumors-detroit-pistons-asking-price-greg-monroe-excessively-high/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

Sounds like detroit want an all-star(rondo) or a high pick back for monroe. Sorry , I have no interest in giving up rondo or a top 5 pick for him, undersized center with not much defense.

totally agree. I just don't know how Detroit plans to resolve their front court issues. I can understand not wanting to move Monroe. However, they won't be able to move Smith so easily. Now, I'll gladly take Drummond off their hands!

unless it's just posturing and they may lower their demands as the deadline gets closer (probably not enough, however).

CB

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 05:10:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

He's 6'9.75'' without shoes, so I really doubt this is true.

Yes at the draft combine he was measured at 6'9.75" without shoes and 6'11 with.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/05/25/combine.measurements/index.html

ESPN currently lists him as 6'11 and typically lists players with their "with shoes" height.
I thought ESPN as well as other media outlets listed at whatever is in the team media guide.

In any case, Monroe is  very clearly a full 6'11. NBA measurement standards allow adding up to 1'25" for shoes.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
WOw I would be 6'9" in the nba.  Makes sense, I was a high school 6-6 and I was as tall as Max in 85.

I think if Monroe is out there one has to take a look.   At worst he is better trade bait than what we have presently.

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens

They can always wait until the offseason when he's a restricted free agent and do a sign and trade with the next Piston's GM. Dumars should be gone by then.

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

They can always wait until the offseason when he's a restricted free agent and do a sign and trade with the next Piston's GM. Dumars should be gone by then.

This is what I assumed would happen all along. Detroit just doesn't have enough time to turn their team into a contender after trading Monroe so I don't see the rush.

This should also help get them more value. I remember before the season started, Det fans were laughing at Rondo for Monroe - now it us offering Green and not looking so ridiculous.