Author Topic: Monroe anyone?  (Read 12240 times)

Monroe anyone?
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
I really haven't seen Monroe play much, but am intrigued by how well he might fit into the Celtics. His numbers have suffered this year in the dysfunctional and poorly-matched Pistons front court, but he can score and rebound and is more of a well-rounded center than Asik. Playing him at center, where he belongs, will complement Sully at PF (where he belongs) very well IMHO. Then, all we need is to draft a top-notch wing in the upcoming draft and we are well on our way to being competitive again.

Detroit is not trading Drummond, as much as I want them to trade him to the C's. Nobody wants Smith's contract so they are likely stuck with him. That leaves Monroe odd man out. I don't think they will let him walk this Summer without any compensation so they are probably looking to trade him.

How about Jeff Green for Monroe plus whatever fillers are necessary to match salaries? I realize it's a risk with free agency looming this Summer. Not sure we can legally get any assurance he will resign with us.

I just like Monroe a lot better than Asik and think he could develop into a fine starting center for us. I would like to see how we play with Rondo and Sully paired with Monroe. I really want Drummond or Cousins, but that ain't happening, even if we gut our team, which I wouldn't want to do. Also, the odds are low we will have an opportunity to grab Embiid in the draft.

IMHO, we need two things to jump start the rebuild: a promising center that scores and rebounds (defense would be nice too), and a consistent, athletic wing (Wiggins?), without giving away Rondo.

Comments?

CB

Re: Monroe anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Detroit could really use Jeff Green so they could push Josh Smith back to PF. But then it just depends on what else you're willing to part with. Jeff Green, Avery Bradley and a pick? Probably how much it would take but seems too expensive for me.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
I love Avery and Jeff, but here's the way I look at it.

I would like to keep Rondo, Avery, Sully and Green. While I realize they haven't played together (healthy) very much, does anyone see that starting 4 competing for a championship with the addition of a good center? No I didn't thinks so. Neither do I. That's why I think we need to move Jeff, and maybe Avery, to bring the last staring pieces to make this team really compete in the postseason. I would hope we can do it with the draft and trading just Jeff, but that remains to be seen.

Yes, Jeff would be ideal on Detroit with Drummond and Smith. I just don't know if Dumars is smart to enough to realize this.

CB

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I don't want Monroe , we'd have too small a front line.

If green is to go to Detroit, I'd take a three team deal. In which that other team gets Monroe , we get expirings and a couple picks along with maybe one young player.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Monroe no

Drummond  YES

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 07:23:54 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
we're not getting Drummond, as much as I want him. I still think Monroe could work for us. Money and trade assets aside, does anyone really want Asik more than Monroe?

That I don't get.

CB

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 07:30:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
YES!

Big Monroe fan. You could either start him at the 5 with Sully at the 4, or start Monroe at the 4 with Sully as your 6th man.

Either way, would love to have him.

And as someone else mentioned, if you have to give up Green and Bradley, I would do it any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 07:41:33 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
The two questions are:

1. would we still do it without knowing if we can resign Monroe long term.

and

2. Would Detroit basically trade Monroe for Green. Put another way, are they smart enough to know this is a win-win for both teams?

CN

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 08:17:33 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
C: Monroe
PF: Bass
Sf: Sully
SG: Bradley
PG: Rondo

...we'd be kind of undersized - and there would be some interior congestion, as Sully and Monroe both need to be in the paint, and Bass doesn't exactly "space the floor" shooting, as he does, from the elbows. Likewise, Rondo may improve his shooting, but he'll never be great from the 3 point line [I AM WILLING TO BE PROVEN WRONG ON THIS.]

With that line-up, I think Sully would have to be moved for a small forward who could light it up from outside. It's just not a balanced attack.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 08:32:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
C: Monroe
PF: Bass
Sf: Sully
SG: Bradley
PG: Rondo

...we'd be kind of undersized - and there would be some interior congestion, as Sully and Monroe both need to be in the paint, and Bass doesn't exactly "space the floor" shooting, as he does, from the elbows. Likewise, Rondo may improve his shooting, but he'll never be great from the 3 point line [I AM WILLING TO BE PROVEN WRONG ON THIS.]

With that line-up, I think Sully would have to be moved for a small forward who could light it up from outside. It's just not a balanced attack.
I love Sully but he's no SF.  Bass has a better chance of playing SF than Sully

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 08:44:36 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Monroe is a really good player, and i would happily add him to the celtics. What would he cost in salary and in a trade though? Can he learn to play championship level defense as one of the top 3 players on a team?

I am not sure.

The best package i would trade for him might be sullinger and the clippers pick in 2015. And if i am Detroit i wouldn't make that trade. Instead i would move josh smith in a lopsided deal just to get any shooting on the perimeter. Why did they sign Smith? Joe Dumars should be banned from his own team whenever they have cap space.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:49:38 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
I don't see Monroe as undersized He's 6' 11" around 250, unless you mean he plays small? I think Sully and Monroe both playing around the basket is a potential concern. However, Stevens wants Sully to shoot more threes and he looked good doing it when it was first suggested.

As far as Bass is concerned, he is not in the long term plans of the team. Even though I haven't talked about other moves, I assume there would be quite a few other changes before Summer 2015. Bass will be gone, probably Green, I hope AB will be here but he may go as well. Hump is also probably gone. I like him and would love to have him coming off the bench at the right price, at his current age (~29), BUT at that age in about 3 or 4 years. Humps's problem is he will be on the downside just when we start to compete. If he's a rental UNITIL we compete, he would have to come really, really, cheap. I just like his competitiveness and consistency.

Bottom line: I can see Monroe at the 5 and Sully at the 4 working nicely together, gobbling lots of rebounds. Imagine Rondo lobbing it to Monroe under the basket. We would just need a quick wing who can create, plus House, PJ, and Tony Allen coming off the bench. Booya #18

BTW, the Pistons have about as much chance of moving JSMOOTH, as we do Crash. Well ok, more, but not much more.

;D

CB

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think Green and the LAC first is a fair deal for Det and it gives them an extra asset.

While Monroe and Sully both lack exceptional lift, they are both extremely tough players and I think Boston fans would love that front line for years to come. We would then be one big time scorer away from being close to contending (Camelo, anybody? :0)

I know people are concerned about Monroe's next contract, but 12 mill or so a year for an above average starting center who is still quite young is about all you can hope for. I think he can improve his defense and I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have him than Asik.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 10:07:51 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I don't want Monroe , we'd have too small a front line.

If green is to go to Detroit, I'd take a three team deal. In which that other team gets Monroe , we get expirings and a couple picks along with maybe one young player.

Pretty sure Monroe is 7" with shoes, which puts him right up there with most center length. I would do a trade for him in a heart beat; JG and a pick seems more than fair enough, but the numbers won't work. May JG and AB for Monroe and Stuckey. Both teams get guys that need to be resigned, and both get guys that fill a need. AB for Stuckey is about even, and it makes the money work. Add in LAC first to sweeten the deal. Sign Hayward in the off season and BOOM!! rebuild almost done. Maybe we get a Parker/Wiggins or a Exum in the draft.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 10:14:21 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
Never liked Stuckey and including AB is way overpaying.