Author Topic: I'm sorry, but I do this Rondo / Knicks trade  (Read 4572 times)

I'm sorry, but I do this Rondo / Knicks trade
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:49:26 AM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Celts in:  Stat, TH Jr, Udrih (expiring), Aldrich (expiring), 2016 and 2018 unrestricted first round picks

Knicks in:  Rondo, Wallace, Green

OK, SHOOT ME

Re: I'm sorry, but I do this Rondo / Knicks trade
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 07:51:49 AM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
Celts in:  Stat, TH Jr, Udrih (expiring), Aldrich (expiring), 2016 and 2018 unrestricted first round picks

OK, SHOOT ME

SORRY, Make that 2018 and 2020 1sts

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 07:54:19 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
That's a long time to wait for the payoff.  I'd want something sooner than that from whoever we trade with.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
That's a long time to wait for the payoff.  I'd want something sooner than that from whoever we trade with.

I hear ya.  But these are the types of picks (unrestricted) that can turn into a Magic Johnson or James Worthy or Lillard. 

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I hear ya.  But these are the types of picks (unrestricted) that can turn into a Magic Johnson or James Worthy or Lillard.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Let's see so in a couple of years the Knicks are going to have Rondo/Melo and cap space to add a third core piece. Playing with two all-stars in a major media/advertising market is going to attract a very nice third piece.

Those picks are going to be almost guaranteed bottom third and most likely bottom five of round. On the average, you are going to get players who are going to be 9th or 10th men on a contending roster and you have a much greater chance of drafting JR Giddens and JaJuan Johnson that Magic, Worthy, or Lillard.

You are cashing in a dollar for about six nickels. Even if halfway through next season, Rondo holds a press conference to say he will never sign another contract in Boston, you will still find someone at the deadline who will give you 2 quarters for your dollar.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:49:37 AM by Depalma2002 »

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
knick have nothing to offer us. they shouldn't be mentioned as trade partners for at least the next 3 yrs.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 09:16:43 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
You have to get a third team involved in this trade. You need to get more pieces than that for Rondo. Expiring contracts isn't good enough. You need more picks or proven NBA Talent.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:09:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't understand why Jeff Green is suddenly considered to have negative trade value. He should net assets independent of a Rondo trade. Dumping Green for an expiring (or worse, Amare) isn't a win for us.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 10:12:52 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Terrible deal. Rondo and green aren't salary dump players. Rondo is top 3 pg add green who is a top ten sf, and we trade them both for stats awful contract? Yikes.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 10:45:06 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
It's a terrible deal.  You are trading good assets for non assets.  You can only have so much cap space especially when we aren't a prime FA location.  Those # ones that far out will not help us compete in the next 3 years.  Revisit Ted Stepien of the Cavaliers.  The franchise would be taking a 5 year or more step back...

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
If this trade did happen, I doubt if the Celtics would win another game all year
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 10:56:42 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

OK, SHOOT ME

This is a great plan. Not this particular plan, but next year we could trade Wallace and maybe Bass and a couple of picks 5-7 years in the future for a player in his 20s who's been to multiple all-star games, a serviceable starter at another spot and a short(ish) bad contract. Add that haul to Rondo, Sully, Green and our haul from the 2014 draft and we'll be instant contenders.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 10:58:01 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Got to be a gigantic fan of TH to do this

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 11:07:30 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

OK, SHOOT ME

If you're nearby, I gladly would

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell