Author Topic: You don't trade Rondo  (Read 8588 times)

Re: You don't trade Rondo
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
What is so special about an almost 30 year old pg that has averaged slightly over 11 ppg in his career? He is a glorified role player without all stars around him. He's the PG version of Josh Smith in terms of free agency. Someone will give him a near max deal and really regret it. If you're offered a 1st in the upcoming draft then make the deal. Especially if it's in the top 10.

Comparing him to Josh Smith would be an insult considering the difference in their BBIQ, SMH. Rondo takes smart shot selection, contrast to Smith's ill-advised shots. Smith would become a top 5 player with Rondo's brain.

So you would give a declining almost 30 year old point guard a max contract? Hopefully Ainge does the right thing and sends him packing. I compared Smith's terrible contract to the one Rondo will get. Rondo will have a similar impact in his next contract. It's going to be an albatross. I don't want Ainge to make a horrible mistake. Giving Rondo a new contract would be a massive mistake. Trade him for younger assets and move on.

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
What is so special about an almost 30 year old pg that has averaged slightly over 11 ppg in his career? He is a glorified role player without all stars around him. He's the PG version of Josh Smith in terms of free agency. Someone will give him a near max deal and really regret it. If you're offered a 1st in the upcoming draft then make the deal. Especially if it's in the top 10.

Comparing him to Josh Smith would be an insult considering the difference in their BBIQ, SMH. Rondo takes smart shot selection, contrast to Smith's ill-advised shots. Smith would become a top 5 player with Rondo's brain.

So you would give a declining almost 30 year old point guard a max contract? Hopefully Ainge does the right thing and sends him packing. I compared Smith's terrible contract to the one Rondo will get. Rondo will have a similar impact in his next contract. It's going to be an albatross. I don't want Ainge to make a horrible mistake. Giving Rondo a new contract would be a massive mistake. Trade him for younger assets and move on.

He's coming back from injury, not declining. Sheesh.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 10:37:56 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum

Agreed for now. But how many 30 year old role players (Rondo is one) do you see that actually get better with zero all stars around them? Send him packing to LA for their pick this year. Let them swim in mediocrity of Kobe/Rondo/Love for the next few years.

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 10:52:39 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Agreed for now. But how many 30 year old role players (Rondo is one) do you see that actually get better with zero all stars around them? Send him packing to LA for their pick this year. Let them swim in mediocrity of Kobe/Rondo/Love for the next few years.

Rajon Rondo made 4 straight all-star teams, 2 all-defensive teams, and 2 2nd team all-defensive teams, all after Pierce/Garnett were clearly beginning or deep into their decline from their prime. Rondo's no role player. Mischaracterization.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I would for Anthony Davis ., Love, or top five lotto pick .....just off the top of my head

I suspect DA would too.

I'm not looking for Rondo to get traded  or seeing it right now.   I think he is here for the season.

Draft night.......if Wiggins, Parker's , Embiids names are in the basket of picks .......all bets are off.....it will be wildest draft night in ages I predict.

This is ground zero......you want the next star like Durant to build around if you can get him

No telling what we might see..........what would DA give up to land Embiid or Parker

I figure anybody .and lots of picks

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 11:04:50 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum

Rajon Rondo made 4 straight all-star teams, 2 all-defensive teams, and 2 2nd team all-defensive teams, all after Pierce/Garnett were clearly beginning or deep into their decline from their prime. Rondo's no role player. Mischaracterization.

I actually like Rondo believe it or not. I do. My friend met him while he was doing promos for Redbull a few years back and said he was a quiet but good guy. That being said he made those all star teams because of KG/PP/Ray not necessarily because he's one of the best in the league. Because he isn't. Put it this way would you trade him for Lillard, CP3, Tony Parker, or other point guards of that ilk? If the answer is yes then he truly is not this star you all claim. D-Will is another overrated PG that I don't want to get started on. I have an issue with this entire fan base trying to brand him as an elite player. He isn't and never will be. The best he will be is what we've already seen which is a homeless man's Jason Kidd. It's true. The only Celtic that I might keep is Sully and even then if offered a top pick in this elite draft I send him or anyone else packing.

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 11:08:10 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Ah, so when you say "declining" you mean "we're not going to add any talent to the roster over the next few years", no doubt because it will take the franchise a decade or more to recover if we don't get a high pick in the 2014 draft. In any case, Rondo's been the best player on our last two deep playoff runs. Role players don't do that. Check out what happened in the 2012 playoffs if you ever get a chance, it was pretty cool.

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

He has changed the way he plays. Looks lazier out there. Def not long term max worthy

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

He has changed the way he plays. Looks lazier out there. Def not long term max worthy

Most players look somewhat lazy at times when they're only a few weeks into their return to the court from a knee injury. Making any long term decisions based on that play is crazy.

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 11:25:50 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
If Rondo is hellbent on getting to free agency, you trade him.  That being said, you don't give him away, but I would want something in return before he bails. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

...Put it this way would you trade him for Lillard, CP3, Tony Parker, or other point guards of that ilk? If the answer is yes then he truly is not this star you all claim....

(edited for brevity)

I don't think this logic checks out. Chris Paul, Damian Lillard, and Tony Parker are among the best PG's in the league. Lillard is younger and because of that on a much more favorable contract. Paul is better now and going forward, and Parker is probably right about where Rondo would be if he regained 100% of his pre-injury form.

All those guys you listed though are All-stars this year. How does trading Rondo for another All-star equal Rondo not being more than a role player?

If you trade a Maserati for a Jaguar does that mean the Maserati is 'just another car'? They're both $60k+ luxury models with pros and cons, but neither is a ford focus.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 11:35:20 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Rondo is hellbent on getting to free agency, you trade him.  That being said, you don't give him away, but I would want something in return before he bails.

It doesn't make financial sense for Rondo to sign an extension.  It's possible that the team will be in a position where they expect Rondo to use free agency to set the value for his next contract but ultimately remain in Boston, but with a slight chance that a bad situation could lead Rondo to change his mind.

What would you do in that case?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 11:38:11 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would rather have cp3, lillard, parker, a healthy bledsoe then rondo

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 11:47:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
So two obvious scenarios where everyone would have to say, "I wish we had traded Rondo when we could":

1. We offer Rondo everything we can and he still signs elsewhere.

2. We end up signing Rondo for more than he is worth and he never lives up to the contract.

Of course you would also be able to second guess any trade for Rondo if he goes on and carries some other team to a title or the players we get all flame out.

Point is I think it is just silly to make a proclamation such as "thou shalt not trade Rondo" or on the other hand, "we must move Rondo now".

I actually believe that on balance, trading Rondo (assuming we get a decent package) would be overall less risk and more likely benefit rebuilding than letting this play out to free agency.  I think if we don't trade Rondo, the best we can do is to overpay and of course the worst is we end up with nothing.

Now of course if you think Rondo is a max player and can be the best player on a title team, than your solution is to just offer him the max and expect he won't leave.  Fill in around Rondo with draft picks and the rebuilding is done.

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
So two obvious scenarios where everyone would have to say, "I wish we had traded Rondo when we could":

1. We offer Rondo everything we can and he still signs elsewhere.

2. We end up signing Rondo for more than he is worth and he never lives up to the contract.

Of course you would also be able to second guess any trade for Rondo if he goes on and carries some other team to a title or the players we get all flame out.

Point is I think it is just silly to make a proclamation such as "thou shalt not trade Rondo" or on the other hand, "we must move Rondo now".

I actually believe that on balance, trading Rondo (assuming we get a decent package) would be overall less risk and more likely benefit rebuilding than letting this play out to free agency.  I think if we don't trade Rondo, the best we can do is to overpay and of course the worst is we end up with nothing.

Now of course if you think Rondo is a max player and can be the best player on a title team, than your solution is to just offer him the max and expect he won't leave.  Fill in around Rondo with draft picks and the rebuilding is done.

This is all clearly true. But when you look at trades involving high level players in their 20s you see that most of the teams traded the players because they had to, not because they wanted to. You also see that in almost all cases the team that made the trade would have been better off basketball-wise if they'd kept the player (in a relatively happy situation). We aren't under any duress to trade Rondo.

Danny shouldn't turn down any offer no matter how good, but he shouldn't be trying to trade Rondo for a collection of lesser players/prospects just in case Rondo changes his mind about staying. That's why the rumors are Danny not trading Rondo unless he gets a top player in return. It's the only trade that really makes sense for the team.