Author Topic: You don't trade Rondo  (Read 8608 times)

You don't trade Rondo
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:15:11 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Watching the game against the 6ers right now.. not even his most spectacular game... but he just has what you can't teach. And in the biggest games, that's often the most important aspect. If you think about who is getting max salary in the league right now... I think not re-signing him (prob lower than max) would be a big mistake. Dude is just an elite basketball player.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: You don't trade Rondo
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:17:08 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Rondo's a winner, no doubt. Dude was taking open court charges less than a month after coming back from ACL surgery... Against the lowly Sixers. Come on now. Really don't like the Rondo hate.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 03:32:25 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
nobody here hates Rondo.  Wanting to trade him has nothing to do with hating him.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 03:39:12 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
You don't make any player unavailable for trade unless they're a top 5 player in the league, or have a better than even chance of being one in the future.

You also don't take less than you think a player is worth back in trade.

That's how I feel about Rondo.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 03:40:47 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
nobody here hates Rondo.  Wanting to trade him has nothing to do with hating him.

I assume you would be willing, at the very least, to trade him. What do you expect for him to net? Additionally, what are your visions for the future?

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 03:42:55 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
You don't make any player unavailable for trade unless they're a top 5 player in the league, or have a better than even chance of being one in the future.

Sounds like that's how you feel about the logistics of signing/trading players... not really how you feel about Rondo

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 03:48:31 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I assume you would be willing, at the very least, to trade him. What do you expect for him to net? Additionally, what are your visions for the future?

I've gone back and forth on dozens of ideas over the past several months.  Some ideas that would help us win now.  Some ideas that would help us win later.  Rondo definitely isn't untouchable.  He can be had for a price.  He's probably our best player, but that doesn't mean keeping him is necessarily our best option. 

Most Rondo trades you see have us getting back cap flexibility, young players on rookie deals (who could potentially surpass Rondo eventually), draft picks.  Usually the idea is that you get back long-term value for Rondo and improve your draft pick in the process.  If all goes as planned, you swap out your one fringe all-star and replace it with multiple potential all-stars.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 03:49:21 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Sounds like that's how you feel about the logistics of signing/trading players... not really how you feel about Rondo

Well, Rondo's not and never has been a top-5 player, so it's also how I feel about Rondo.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 04:33:48 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Rondo trade ideas pop up because he can net us something of great value. I would trade Rondo for Drummond, for example. I think a sully drummond (and hopefully Wiggins/Parker) front court would be amazing.
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 08:10:41 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Rondo trade ideas pop up because he can net us something of great value. I would trade Rondo for Drummond, for example. I think a sully drummond (and hopefully Wiggins/Parker) front court would be amazing.

I wouldn't, and don't.

I think Drummond is still overrated right now.  His potential might be high, but his current production on a per minute basis is really not standout. 

He's good sure, but people talk about him as if he's a potential massiah and future best center in the NBA.  Anthony Davis and Demarcus Cousins are both FAR better than Drummond is right now.  Dwight Howard (despite dropping off after injury) is still way better than Drummond.  Monroe is (IMHO) better than Drummond.

If you trade Rondo for Drummond then you are trading a current elite player for a guy that you hope one day becomes an elite player...but may well not. Wouldn't surprise me if he just ends up taking an Emeka Okafor / Nene path (i.e. becomes a very solid player, but not a star).

If you traded Rondo now for Okafor / Nene when they were in their second years and showed all that promise, then fast forwarded to now...you'd ve wishing  you could take that back.

I honestly wouldn't trade Rondo for a center unless that center is just as dominant as his position as Rondo is at his - Anthony Davis, Dwight Howard, Demarcus Cousins, etc.  Even the Dwight Howard option is one I might turn down because he is no younger young and full of potential, and his attitude (even at his age) is still terrible.

I honestly don't think Drummond is worth giving up Rondo for.  I don't think he'll ever be better at center than Rondo is at PG - as good at best, and even that is probably unlikely.

As stated by the OP, I just watched the 76ers game today and Rondo was absolutely dissecting the defense.  He was pulling off some amazing dishes, and at least 1/3 of those passes were ones that only 2 or 3 other PG's in the league could probably pull off.  There were so many passes through traffic that went straight to a cutting player (leading to an easy layup).  There were so many drive-and-dish plays where Rondo drew 2 or 3 defenders while driving and then kicked it out for open threes or jumpers.  He really does completely change the nature of the game when he is out there and playing like that...and that's only talking about his passing.  On defense he was huge - a number of big steals and deflections as well as multiple charges taken - he was all over the place.

Very few guys in the league who can impact a game in ways other than scoring, the way he did against Philly.  Get this guy a supporting cast of guys who can actually make shots consistently, and opposing teams would be in a lot of trouble.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
What is so special about an almost 30 year old pg that has averaged slightly over 11 ppg in his career? He is a glorified role player without all stars around him. He's the PG version of Josh Smith in terms of free agency. Someone will give him a near max deal and really regret it. If you're offered a 1st in the upcoming draft then make the deal. Especially if it's in the top 10.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Rondo's already on the clock toward FA, so he's declining asset as I type. The real risk is Danny ending up with nothing if he waits to try to resign him (for too much money anyway).

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
What is so special about an almost 30 year old pg that has averaged slightly over 11 ppg in his career? He is a glorified role player without all stars around him. He's the PG version of Josh Smith in terms of free agency. Someone will give him a near max deal and really regret it. If you're offered a 1st in the upcoming draft then make the deal. Especially if it's in the top 10.

Comparing him to Josh Smith would be an insult considering the difference in their BBIQ, SMH. Rondo takes smart shot selection, contrast to Smith's ill-advised shots. Smith would become a top 5 player with Rondo's brain.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 09:58:46 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I didn't know it was a PG's job to score lots of points. I think John Stockton averaged just 13.1 points a game if I remember correctly. He was an "ok" PG.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

This is pretty spot on.

Rondo by no means is "untouchable", it just so happens 95% of the trades I see for him I think are poor value.

Value is an objective term in a fans mind. I may value Rondo higher than others, or I may value Rondo less than others.

Rondo's and other players "value" is what keeps trade boards alive and running. Most people have different opinion of value on most players.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.