Author Topic: 7' 1" Australian Thon Maker is now #1 recruit and moving like Durant *WOW*  (Read 17223 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Amazing what 18 months and some skills work/coaching will do.
He's now the number 1 recruit from his class.
You may remember this topic/video from August last year which showed his 8th grade highlights. He's now 16 (turns 17 soon) but has come a looong way.
Amazing how far his shooting has come too. His stroke from the FT line is beautiful.
Have Durant and Lebron changed the game forever as part of a natural evolution? 7 footers with point guard skills and shooting ability are becoming more and more normal.

Original topic/video:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67157.msg1533396#msg1533396

Recent video/update...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDZaJFd4aSk
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:24:09 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: 7' 1" Australian Thon Maker is now #1 recruit and moving like Durant *WOW*
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 05:33:58 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Wow

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 05:38:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
when does he enter the nba? 

I commented on the thread last year and joked that he looked less talented than I was in 4th grade... except he was 7 feet tall. 

He looks like he's dramatically improved since that other video.  He now looks as talented as I was in 7th grade... except he's over 7 feet tall.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:46:13 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I don't ussually put much stock in highlight videos but wow this kid looks special, hope he develops a decent post game to go along with the obvious perimeter skill and physical gifts.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I hope one of our future Nets picks lands us this guy

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 06:04:24 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
The pride of Sudan (only moved to Australia a few years ago).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:32:53 PM by Global Celtic »

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 06:23:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Wow, that was impressive.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 07:02:04 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I've been looking for an update on him for a while now. He's definitely improved which impressive, but should also be expected since the last bunch of highlights I had seen are almost two years old now. The potential is incredible and given his improvement there's plenty of reason to think he'll keep improving.

Same class as another high profile (Youtube) guy, Seventh Woods, who is I think ranked in the top ten in the class.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 07:07:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This judging talent off of highlight reels really needs to stop at some point because its like judging how fast a car is by looking at a picture of it while it is sitting in your garage.

I think I could probably make a highlight reel of my son playing ball that would make him look like the next Jordan.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I commented on the thread last year and joked that he looked less talented than I was in 4th grade... except he was 7 feet tall. 

He looks like he's dramatically improved since that other video.  He now looks as talented as I was in 7th grade... except he's over 7 feet tall.

He's part of the 2016 "prospect" class. Which looks pretty good, and he's #3 over all.

DA's move to get all of those Brooklyn picks might pan out. Now we just need Brooklyn to work with us and loose a bunch over the next couple seasons...:D

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 07:26:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

He's part of the 2016 "prospect" class. Which looks pretty good, and he's #3 over all.

DA's move to get all of those Brooklyn picks might pan out. Now we just need Brooklyn to work with us and loose a bunch over the next couple seasons...:D

Yeah.....right ....they sign LBJ ....our luck

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Given his age and height ....not bad .....yeah another three years and thirty pounds of muscle ......he very well could be draft stock

He looks better skilled than Fab Melo all ready.     ;D

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 07:43:42 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
It's nice to see another great prospect emerging from Australia, especially from the (South) Sudanese community that has really adopted a strong connection with basketball here. From what I've seen (which is only highlights), it would appear Thon has unlimited potential at such a young age.

Here's an exceptionally interesting article with regards the recruitment of refugees in Australia to play basketball. Well worth a read in my opinion:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/refugees-escaping-war-are-aiming-for-the-stars-20130810-2rovx.html

Sadly, Thon is probably not going to play for any Australian national teams. However, I absolutely love hearing stories of refugees in Australia seizing opportunities such as Thon's, given some of the negative framing placed on refugees or asylum seekers in this country.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 07:46:57 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
This judging talent off of highlight reels really needs to stop at some point because its like judging how fast a car is by looking at a picture of it while it is sitting in your garage.

I think I could probably make a highlight reel of my son playing ball that would make him look like the next Jordan.

I normally have the same reaction to highlight reels. To make things worse, fully 80% of most highlight reels is just guys finishing on lobs in time to some stupid music.

But this is legitimately amazing. I haven't seen a young seven footer move, handle the ball, and exhibit form like that since shaq.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The proud of Sudan (only moved to Australia a few years ago).

Interesting, because as I watched the video, I was thinking, "Yeah, he's pretty good, but I see some Manute Bol in him." By which I mean not just the physical traits, but that in spite of his athleticism, it looks like he might break in two at any moment.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis