Author Topic: Lakers only have 4 players right now.  (Read 12472 times)

Re: Lakers only have 4 players right now.
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 12:12:17 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Moves well too...(best screen ever!!)

This is amazing.  And we call Green passive.

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 12:38:24 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Kyrie only played 28 minutes. Did he get injured?

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 01:46:17 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's big.  He seems to move well. 

Can't argue with either one of those points:

During a "Glove Actually" segment for Fox Sports Live, Payton went off on Bennett, openly criticizing his physique and work ethic.

"You came in overweight," Payton said. "You look fat."

Moves well too...(best screen ever!!)

Lol yeah.   I saw that clip before.

I think there is something supremely wrong with the Cavs organization.  But Bennett is a 20 year old rookie and what I've seen of him recently, he's still got a lot of potential.  There was a reason he was taken #1.   He's got a lot of development to do, but he does appear to be improving.  Check some cavs forums and they'll say that he has been putting up the most effort and energy of any player over the past week and legitimately seems to be an effective defender. 

He had some very embarrassing moments (like that clip), shot dreadfully, played historically bad for a 1st rounder and got tons of flack for it... but he seems to be responding.  HIs confidence is improving.  I'm rooting for him.  He's scored double digits in 3 of his last 5 games.  Still kinda crappy, but it's a good sign for a kid.

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 03:59:41 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Alarm bells should have started ringing when they had just the 8 guys suited up (with at least 2 playing through injury or freshly back) depending on how much time they had between games, they could have scrambled for 1 or 2 dleaguers from East Coast based teams. 
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 04:02:56 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Here is a pretty interesting article about a juco game back in the day where one team was down to three players.  One of the schools is from my hometown.  So there's that.

http://grantland.com/features/three-man-weave/

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 04:36:15 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Lakers should absolutely be fined. Not for tanking (they won, amazingly) but for the mockery they provided. Suiting up 8 players with 2 injured in the first place is an instant warning bell. Do they have space on their roster? If so, they could have signed Harris to the minimum or another player to veteran's minimum, whatever. For them, a $1.5 million contract would turn into $2.1 million plus with the luxury tax (not sure how far they're over). Fine them the difference between the contract and the luxury payment.

OK, I'm only half serious with this post. I only went along further because it's the Lakers
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 08:37:34 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
didn't the C's almost have this happen to them a couple yrs ago in the playoffs? I think perk was still on the team.

I vaguely remember the comentators discussing the scenarios.

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 09:16:57 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The Lakers were so undermanned... that Chris Kaman took a nap mid-game on the bench:

Note that they were still beating the Cavs by 23 at that point.

Methinks Cavs are going to shake things up in a couple weeks.

Haha this image cracks me up.

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Correction... even the announcers are confused.  Apparently the Foul + Technical only counts if Sacre committs a foul.

I've never seen a player foul out and remain in the game.  Well.. only in Summer League.

It's happened before, but a loooong time back.  Read about a situation like this in a basketball history book.  Some guy finished with 9 fouls or something like that.

EDIT:  Found it - the immortal Don Otten during the immortal Tri Cities-Sheboygan match of 1949.  Only had 8 though.

http://www.nba.com/history/records/regular_personalfouls.html
It actually happened a few years ago. http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=300414022

Devan George fouled out at the 4:47 mark of the 4th quarter.  He reentered the game at 3:29 left (Morrow was hurt from the beginning, tried to play but couldn't).  Golden State was hit with a technical foul and played out the rest of the game with George in there with 6 fouls.

Golden State actually only had 6 healthy players to start the game.  They actually dressed 2 players that weren't healthy just to hit the league minimum of 8 dressed players.  It was the last game of the year and Golden State's season was over, but they still managed to beat playoff bound Portland.  4 of their 5 starters played the entire 48 minutes, George had 42, while Chris Hunter had 5 (Morrow was in the game for like 10 seconds).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Correction... even the announcers are confused.  Apparently the Foul + Technical only counts if Sacre committs a foul.

I've never seen a player foul out and remain in the game.  Well.. only in Summer League.

It's happened before, but a loooong time back.  Read about a situation like this in a basketball history book.  Some guy finished with 9 fouls or something like that.

EDIT:  Found it - the immortal Don Otten during the immortal Tri Cities-Sheboygan match of 1949.  Only had 8 though.

http://www.nba.com/history/records/regular_personalfouls.html
It actually happened a few years ago. http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=300414022

Devan George fouled out at the 4:47 mark of the 4th quarter.  He reentered the game at 3:29 left (Morrow was hurt from the beginning, tried to play but couldn't).  Golden State was hit with a technical foul and played out the rest of the game with George in there with 6 fouls.

Golden State actually only had 6 healthy players to start the game.  They actually dressed 2 players that weren't healthy just to hit the league minimum of 8 dressed players.  It was the last game of the year and Golden State's season was over, but they still managed to beat playoff bound Portland.  4 of their 5 starters played the entire 48 minutes, George had 42, while Chris Hunter had 5 (Morrow was in the game for like 10 seconds).

Yeah LooseCannon mentioned that earlier.  I must've just read about "most fouls in a game" vs "other times the rule has taken effect".  I vaguely remember that GS game now that you guys have mentioned it.

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 10:58:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So, the next time Lebron fouls out, that just means that the rest of the Heat need to fake injury to allow him to come back into the game, right?

That would be awesome.  Like 8 Heat players all go down at the same time, in one mass flop.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
So, the next time Lebron fouls out, that just means that the rest of the Heat need to fake injury to allow him to come back into the game, right?

That would be awesome.  Like 8 Heat players all go down at the same time, in one mass flop.

picturing that in my mind actually made me giggle haha

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I got a bigger laugh over Lebron actually fouling out of a game. That's happened, like five or six times ever?

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 05:38:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I got a bigger laugh over Lebron actually fouling out of a game. That's happened, like five or six times ever?

Six times, four regular season games, two playoff games.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I live in San Diego now and within 5 minutes of me meeting a Lakers fan, I invariably start arguing about which of our teams is going to get a better draft pick