Author Topic: Latest Trade Chatter (2/18) via Basketballinsiders.com (updated)  (Read 32613 times)

Re: Latest Trade Chatter (2/18) via Basketballinsiders.com (updated)
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2014, 04:50:55 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I see no reason why Humphries should still be on this team after the deadline. Nothing personal against him, he's actually played well this year, but he will be a free agent and can definitely help a contender.

I'm sure we wouldn't get much, but even a distant future first would be worth it IMO.

Blazers? Clippers? Surely someone would take him.

The issue with trading Humphries' $12m expiring is that we'd probably have to take on long term salary in the deal. Contenders would likely being more interested, but they're also the likeliest to be well over cap. At this point, I'd rather just let him expire and not compromise future flexibility.

(Also, I'm sure Clippers would love to have him but we can't trade with them until this offseason because of the Doc Rivers situation).

The Celtics have a $10M trade exception. They can take back a vet min player.

You can always take on a player on a minimum contract without having to send anything back.

But if the Celtics trade Humphries, the other team has to send back payroll to match his huge contract. And chances are it won't be an expiring.

Then what is the exception good for? I thought it can be used to match salaries in a 1-for-1 deal?

You use the exception to take back the big contract from the other team. You don't give it to the other team so they can take the big contract from you.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I see no reason why Humphries should still be on this team after the deadline. Nothing personal against him, he's actually played well this year, but he will be a free agent and can definitely help a contender.

I'm sure we wouldn't get much, but even a distant future first would be worth it IMO.

The issue with trading Humphries' $12m expiring is that we'd probably have to take on long term salary in the deal. Contenders would likely being more interested, but they're also the likeliest to be well over cap. At this point, I'd rather just let him expire and not compromise future flexibility.

(Also, I'm sure Clippers would love to have him but we can't trade with them until this offseason because of the Doc Rivers situation).

You can always take on a player on a minimum contract without having to send anything back.

But if the Celtics trade Humphries, the other team has to send back payroll to match his huge contract. And chances are it won't be an expiring.

Then what is the exception good for? I thought it can be used to match salaries in a 1-for-1 deal?

You use the exception to take back the big contract from the other team. You don't give it to the other team so they can take the big contract from you.

Ahhh, OK. Thanks.

No wonder they almost always go unused.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2014, 05:05:08 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408

He's a classic buy-out candidate.  He's the kind of player that would have been on our radar over the past several years.  Overpaid role players on lotto teams that will want to get to a contender.

My guess is we buy him out and a team like the Blazers that need a big will sign him for the vet min.

We should only buy him out if he signs a contract that says he will not sign with the Heat. I would be upset if he went on to help them win another title.

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2014, 05:19:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

He's a classic buy-out candidate.  He's the kind of player that would have been on our radar over the past several years.  Overpaid role players on lotto teams that will want to get to a contender.

My guess is we buy him out and a team like the Blazers that need a big will sign him for the vet min.

We should only buy him out if he signs a contract that says he will not sign with the Heat. I would be upset if he went on to help them win another title.
Funny.  But seriously.. he's towards the top of anyone's "buy out candidates" list.  Expect him gone in a week or two.  Could end up with the Heat.  Doesn't matter.

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Right, but whatever team that's getting Humphries (if they're over cap like most contenders are) has to send out $12m to make room for Humphries unless the incoming team has a massive TPE to send back our way.

There are at least two teams that have those big contracts as expirings: CHA (Gordon) and Phoenix (Okafur).

Humphries would be great for both of those teams who are making a playoff push.

Humphries (a contributor now and an expiring) for their non-contributing expiring and another asset.

EDIT: Add Cleveland to that list with Deng, although that's more unlikely and Detroit with Villanueva.

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2014, 05:29:34 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Right, but whatever team that's getting Humphries (if they're over cap like most contenders are) has to send out $12m to make room for Humphries unless the incoming team has a massive TPE to send back our way.

There are at least two teams that have those big contracts as expirings: CHA (Gordon) and Phoenix (Okafur).

Humphries (a contributor now and an expiring) for their non-contributing expiring and another asset.

EDIT: Add Cleveland to that list with Deng, although that's more unlikely and Detroit with Villanueva.

Okafor's contract is medically insured, so it's more valuable than Humphries'. I think a straight swap would be fair.

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Charlotte is intriguing - an Al Jefferson / Kris Humphries frontcourt would dominate the boards. And I think they're desperate enough for a playoff spot to pull the trigger.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2014, 05:42:27 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Charlotte is intriguing - an Al Jefferson / Kris Humphries frontcourt would dominate the boards. And I think they're desperate enough for a playoff spot to pull the trigger.

Agree. Makes too much sense which is why Air"head" Jordan won't do it.

We have lots to give CHA and they have what we want. Jordan is too dumb to grasp that opportunity and wasted a ton of time pursuing Turner, which is going nowhere...

He's a dope.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:52:14 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Okafor's contract is medically insured, so it's more valuable than Humphries'. I think a straight swap would be fair.

agree, But a straight swap, even though it works in trade machine, puts us into luxury land. We'd have to add somebody else.

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The exception is good for when the Celtics want to bring in significantly more salary than they send out.  They're not going to use it until after the last day of the season to avoid paying luxury tax and they're probably not going to use it until after the July moratorium because they are hard-capped at the apron due to acquiring Bogans via sign-and-trade.  The most likely uses are to accept a big contract from a team looking to clear space (for example, if Chicago wants to do a salary dump of Taj Gibson to clear space to sign Carmelo Anthony) or to acquire a player via sign-and-trade (the way the Lakers used their exception to bring in Steve Nash).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »

Offline abbmack9

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
Just saw on twitter that barnes is close to going to the Cavs and CLE would give up Jack
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:05:45 PM by abbmack9 »

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2014, 07:05:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Just saw on twitter that barnes is close to going to the Cavs and CLE would give up Jack

Wow. That'd be a coup for Cleveland, I think.

I'd read that Cleveland was close to sending Jack to Brooklyn, but they wanted multiple 2nd rounders and not to have to take Reggie Evans (only Terry).

Turning Jack into Barnes would be a heckuva save.

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »

Offline abbmack9

• Payton Pritchard
I'd embed the tweet into my post but I can't figure out how

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2014, 07:07:57 PM »

Offline abbmack9

• Payton Pritchard

Wow. That'd be a coup for Cleveland, I think.

I'd read that Cleveland was close to sending Jack to Brooklyn, but they wanted multiple 2nd rounders and not to have to take Reggie Evans (only Terry).

Turning Jack into Barnes would be a heckuva save.

Just saw it saw I'm not sure how reliable the source is. The Celticsblog twitter account retweeted it though if you want to check it out.

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2014, 07:09:16 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Harrison...Barnes?