Author Topic: Latest Trade Chatter (2/18) via Basketballinsiders.com (updated)  (Read 32681 times)

Latest Trade Chatter (2/18) via Basketballinsiders.com (updated)
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Www.hoopsworld.com has been completely redone and I strongly encourage you guys to check out the new site (www.basketballinsiders.com). They're doing a lot of neat interactive stuff over there.

Phoenix
The Suns made headlines with their play for Lakers forward Gasol. The Suns are shopping the ending, insurance-paid contract of Emeka Okafor and one of their late first round draft picks. They are not looking for anything silly, but they do have eyes for an ending contract player that could add something to their playoff push. The Suns have moved on to other ideas and have been aggressive in trying to find a taker for what amounts to an almost free ending contract. The challenge for the Suns is the kind of players teams would be willing to move for Okafor’s contract have years left on them and that does not seem to be what Phoenix is looking for today. Look for Phoenix to trigger a deal

Philadelphia 
Maybe Sixers General manager Sam Hinkie learned this while he was in Houston, but the Sixers have had a toe (or half a foot) in the trade waters all season long. The names are pretty clear – guard Evan Turner, forward Thaddeus Young and big man Spencer Hawes. As the clock becomes Philly’s enemy they may relent on their asking price so you can expect that they’re going to do something. They simply have too many reasons to make a deal,

Charlotte
The Charlotte Bobcats are somewhat aggressive in kicking the tires. They like Philadelphia’s Evan Turner and they have been kicking around the Detroit Pistons on Greg Monroe.

Cleveland
Cleveland:  The Cavaliers are open for business. The two names mentioned most around the league are second year guard Dion Waiters and veteran forward Alonzo Gee. There is of course is the annual Anderson Varejao watch. The Cavs have been reluctant to include him in trade talks, but sources around the situation say the massive dysfunction in Cleveland has them listening to a lot of things they normally wouldn’t. Current management may not survive a non-playoff berth, so there is at least some perceived urgency to get something done in Cleveland.

Houston
The Houston Rockets haven’t stopped shopping for change. The problem is the chips they would move – Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin – won’t return what Houston is looking for: better talent. There continues to be talk that a number of teams like the talent of Asik, but just can’t get their ownership on board with paying his massive balloon payment. One league source said the Rockets could move Asik tomorrow, but they wouldn’t get much for him. Rockets seem like they want to make a deal and historically they have been traders at the deadline, so we’ll see if the league’s stance on Asik or Lin changes as the clock ticks to the deadline.

New Orleans
The Pelicans are what’s best described as value shoppers. They are open to trades involving core players like Eric Gordon or even Tyreke Evans – if they returned upgrades. That is a tough sell given what both players are making. The Pelicans look like they are going to trade guard Austin Rivers at the deadline, sources close to the situation believe there has been agreement in place all season to move him if playing time and opportunity did not become available. The Pelicans usually play trades close to the vest, but their posture is one of a team willing to listen to trades and the fact that they have so many duplicated pieces they might be a dark horse to make a splashy move.

Detroit
Detroit:  If you can figure the Detroit Pistons out, bravo. If there is a team in the East that needs to make a roster-changing trade it’s Detroit, but more and more teams are saying Detroit is holding the line. The Pistons have several ending contracts that have value – most notably Rodney Stuckey. They have a pending restricted free agent in Greg Monroe that could return real value and the Pistons seem to be sitting this one out. Several teams have called only to find Detroit unwilling to engage. As much as the Pistons need to make a deal they seem the most unwilling to entertain one.

Washington (2/6)
No Beal, No Way:  Wizards’ sources were fairly adamant yesterday that Beal is a non-starter for them in trade talks, which lines up exactly with what teams talking with Washington have said. As we covered yesterday, the Wizards are unwilling to break up their core to make a deal and while other teams may covet Beal as part of a deal, the Wizards simply are not going to entertain that. They view him as a key and core part of what they are building and anything involving him is being turned away.

(2/7)
Milwaukee
The Milwaukee Bucks have declined inquiries from opposing teams about whether Larry Sanders has fallen out of favor to the point the Bucks could trade him, according to sources.

The Bucks appear to believe right now that they cannot afford to trade Sanders, who signed a four-year contract extension in the offseason.

The Bucks are fearful that trading Sanders so soon will not result in a fair return.

Sanders is averaging 8 points and 7.3 rebounds this season.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

Caveliers
Gilbert expects the Cavaliers to be aggressive in this month's trade deadline.

"I think we’ll be aggressive at the trading deadline -- historically we have, anyway,'' Gilbert said. "I think we will and we potentially have a lot of opportunity there. We’re looking forward to working with David Griffin, and whatever it takes, 24 hours a day for the next two weeks. Hopefully we’ll find opportunities.''

Still a few more teams touched on so if you want to read more go give it a read (http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-who-is-still-on-the-trade-fence/)

Edit: Figured I'd update this daily with anything new I find leading up to the deadline. Feel free to add anything!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:53:12 AM by BleedGreen1989 »
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Latest Trade Chatter (2/4) via Basketballinsiders.com
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 03:41:38 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Turner to the Cats continues to be a deal that make some sense to me, though I doubt what Jordan would give up considering Turner's pending FA status (albeit RFA).

The Pelicans are ****** as far as I'm concerned. Who on earth is taking either Gordon or Evans on those deals? Who is giving up anything for Rivers? And they have to give their pick to Philly...

They're going to have a tough deadline.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Turner to the Cats continues to be a deal that make some sense to me, though I doubt what Jordan would give up considering Turner's pending FA status (albeit RFA).

The Pelicans are ****** as far as I'm concerned. Who on earth is taking either Gordon or Evans on those deals? Who is giving up anything for Rivers? And they have to give their pick to Philly...

I just don't see Turner being a fit in Charlotte. Sure they could use some scoring but the Bobcats (can't wait until I can call them the Hornets) are an awful 3pt shooting team and Turner's 29% from 3pt does nothing to help that.

As far as NO, I agree. Not much on that roster outside Davis that is attractive. I'd do a Bass for Rivers deal though.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Charlotte as a trade partner for Detroit for either Smith or Monroe is a great idea.

Maybe we can get in on that deal and send out Green and Bass for salary cap relief and a pick.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rumors are rumors, but it's interesting that Philly's supposedly shopping the pieces that Houston reportedly wanted for Asik (only they don't seem to want Asik in return). I'm still curious about whether the rockets are willing to trade Asik on a discount or whether they'll let him sit on the bench.

As for Cleveland, that's got to be a weird situation. How much leeway do you give to a GM who's trying to save his job by making trades?

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
We should trade Rondo for Stuckey

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:25:48 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I just don't see Turner being a fit in Charlotte. Sure they could use some scoring but the Bobcats (can't wait until I can call them the Hornets) are an awful 3pt shooting team and Turner's 29% from 3pt does nothing to help that.

As far as NO, I agree. Not much on that roster outside Davis that is attractive. I'd do a Bass for Rivers deal though.

Well... they need help on the wing period. Is Turner perfect for them? No. Is he a fairly good option in the overall market? Yeah maybe. Guy can play and help them push for the playoffs, which they want.

I dunno on Rivers... isn't he just going to be a pain? A guy who wants more than he justifies on the court? I'd honestly rather just have an expiring deal for Bass than Rivers... save that money / roster spot for a rainy day. If not, trade Bass over the summer or next season.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Rumors are rumors, but it's interesting that Philly's supposedly shopping the pieces that Houston reportedly wanted for Asik (only they don't seem to want Asik in return). I'm still curious about whether the rockets are willing to trade Asik on a discount or whether they'll let him sit on the bench.

As for Cleveland, that's got to be a weird situation. How much leeway do you give to a GM who's trying to save his job by making trades?

That's a good question regarding Cleveland.

Grant has shown to be pretty awful at personnel decisions so I wonder how much he would be handcuffed.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:30:48 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Thank you for this post....its needed!
I wonder what today's rumors are?

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 11:12:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Gordon has a bad contract, but he is a pretty solid player and looks more and more healthy every week.

I actually think this trade makes a bit of sense for all 3 teams - Gordon to Cleveland, Waiters to Philly, and Turner, Clark, and Jack to New Orleans.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

x2 on a bass for rivers based deal, buy low on rivers and save some $$.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 11:19:36 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Ugh. I very much don't want to end up with Rivers.

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 03:34:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Ugh. I very much don't want to end up with Rivers.
agreed - Rivers sucks.  If he had any other last name he wouldn't get a second look here.  At least Bass can play

Re: Latest Trade Chatter (2/6) via Basketballinsiders.com (updated daily)
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Two weeks to go and it's nearly dead quiet regarding trade rumors.  GMs must be holding their cards particularly close to the vest this year.  I expected at least some rumored things, but nothing for a while.  When will the dam break?

Re: Latest Trade Chatter (2/6) via Basketballinsiders.com (updated daily)
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Two weeks to go and it's nearly dead quiet regarding trade rumors.  GMs must be holding their cards particularly close to the vest this year.  I expected at least some rumored things, but nothing for a while.  When will the dam break?

I feel the exact same way! keep checking to see if something happens out the blue.