Author Topic: I'm a Mets fans, that would like Stephen Drew on our team...  (Read 6697 times)

I'm a Mets fans, that would like Stephen Drew on our team...
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Oddly enough, I'm a Celtics fan, and a Mets fan. I bleed Green, but I hate and despise the Red Sox. (Don't throw things at me!)

For five years, after 2007, the most devastating moment for any Mets fan who have followed the team, after a struggling playoff series, and gone through all the bull crap we've been fed by our organization after the Madoff scheme. You see we were close to going somewhere. The nucleus should've been David Wright, and Jose Reyes as our two main center pieces. Two guys who seemed to have great chemistry, and were great team players. They were supposed to be the franchise players that we needed. It also didn't help the fact Reyes had admitted, that he would've taken a couple million dollar cut to stay as a Mets.

Now that Reyes had left, it seemed like the upgrade at short stop would never happen.

Now Peter Gammons, disputes that and still believes the Mets will sign Stephen Drew.

The Mets quickly denied that they made any offer to Stephen Drew as WFAN’s Mike Francesa inaccurately reported this afternoon on the air. Kristie Ackert of the Daily News confirmed the news from the Mets.
That said, Francesa believes the Mets will end up signing the free agent shortstop. “I think they’re gonna sign him. I really do,”said Francesa.

According to Francesa, the shortstop and the club are negotiating the length of the deal.
“It’s number of years, they’ve already made him an offer,” Francesa said. “It’s the number of years. They’re fighting over the number of years. I know they have made him an offer … It’s not the money. It doesn’t matter if they did a refinance or not. They already offered him the money. It’s a questions of years. They already made him an offer.

“They’re fighting over years. I think they’re gonna sign Drew, I think they’re gonna sign him. I really do.”

So far, I trust Francesa. If you guys aren't familiar with the name, Francesa has reported many important deals for the Mets. Jason Bay signing, and a multitude of other minor deals, and even reported that we were looking to trade RA.

So if you've read all this. I'm asking you, because the Red Sox already have two studs in Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

Do they seriously want Drew back? Do you think its a possibility he comes back? Would you say hes worth 2/23-24?

Or would you disagree, and say he is overrated and injury prone?

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: I'm a Mets fans, that would like Stephen Drew on our team...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I am a Mets fan as well and its been a tough road.

Last season we started the year off with; No legit starting first basemen, no shortstop, no second baseman, no center fielder, and no catcher.... And we play in New York, I just don't understand.

Also, fun fact, last season other than David Wright three of our highest paid players were:
1) Johan Santana - got paid 31 million for the season...Played zero games.
2) Jason Bay - 16 million in 2013...Played for the Seattle Mariners.
and......
3) Bobby Bonillia - 1.2 Million. retired in 2001.

I would love to have Drew on the team, the Mets are certainly making great moves, headed in the right direction and have a chance to sneak into the playoffs this year, and with Matt Harvey coming back next year I think they can be an underdog contender. I wouldn't give Drew more than two years and Alderson will be smart in making any deals from here on out.

Would still like to see an upgrade at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Edit: Not 3rd, definitely meant SS. As I posted further down I wouldn't trade Wright for any other third basemen in the league. He is too important to the franchise as a player.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:51:34 AM by pearljammer10 »

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »

Offline Dog_Lover106

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
Oddly enough, I'm a Celtics fan, and a Mets fan. I bleed Green, but I hate and despise the Red Sox. (Don't throw things at me!)

For five years, after 2007, the most devastating moment for any Mets fan who have followed the team, after a struggling playoff series, and gone through all the bull crap we've been fed by our organization after the Madoff scheme. You see we were close to going somewhere. The nucleus should've been David Wright, and Jose Reyes as our two main center pieces. Two guys who seemed to have great chemistry, and were great team players. They were supposed to be the franchise players that we needed. It also didn't help the fact Reyes had admitted, that he would've taken a couple million dollar cut to stay as a Mets.

Now that Reyes had left, it seemed like the upgrade at short stop would never happen.

Now Peter Gammons, disputes that and still believes the Mets will sign Stephen Drew.

The Mets quickly denied that they made any offer to Stephen Drew as WFAN’s Mike Francesa inaccurately reported this afternoon on the air. Kristie Ackert of the Daily News confirmed the news from the Mets.
That said, Francesa believes the Mets will end up signing the free agent shortstop. “I think they’re gonna sign him. I really do,”said Francesa.

According to Francesa, the shortstop and the club are negotiating the length of the deal.
“It’s number of years, they’ve already made him an offer,” Francesa said. “It’s the number of years. They’re fighting over the number of years. I know they have made him an offer … It’s not the money. It doesn’t matter if they did a refinance or not. They already offered him the money. It’s a questions of years. They already made him an offer.

“They’re fighting over years. I think they’re gonna sign Drew, I think they’re gonna sign him. I really do.”

So far, I trust Francesa. If you guys aren't familiar with the name, Francesa has reported many important deals for the Mets. Jason Bay signing, and a multitude of other minor deals, and even reported that we were looking to trade RA.

So if you've read all this. I'm asking you, because the Red Sox already have two studs in Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

Do they seriously want Drew back? Do you think its a possibility he comes back? Would you say hes worth 2/23-24?

Or would you disagree, and say he is overrated and injury prone?
I am Red Sox fan and I would like Stephen Drew on your team too. Especially at those numbers. But I will say it has been very nice of the Red Sox to contribute so much money to the Drew family charitable foundation.

Hard to be critical of the Sox after last year, but no way I would have given up on Jose Inglesis.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Last season we started the year off with; No legit starting first basemen, no shortstop, no second baseman, no center fielder, and no catcher.... And we play in New York, I just don't understand.

Also, fun fact, last season other than David Wright three of our highest paid players were:
and......

I would love to have Drew on the team, the Mets are certainly making great moves, headed in the right direction and have a chance to sneak into the playoffs this year, and with Matt Harvey coming back next year I think they can be an underdog contender. I wouldn't give Drew more than two years and Alderson will be smart in making any deals from here on out.

Wow, and I thought I was the only Mets fan that liked the Celtics! ;)

I would love to give Ike Davis another shot at 1B. Defensively he's the best out of Duda, Satin, or whoever could be slotted at first. Plus if you believe he can put up 20+ HR numbers, then that's a low risk high reward. Either way if he doesn't pan out, we can always find someone who'll take him for a cheap prospect.

I would like to keep Murphy at 2nd base, and our catcher/CF seems some what productive with TDA and Lagares taking the spots. I can't believe we paid 7 million for Chris Young... That was the dumbest acquisition ever, and honestly that money could've gone to Drew..

I would give Drew 3 years, but 2 years guaranteed, and last vesting or at least team option.

I still think Drew can be a productive enough player to still produce, and defensively is still in the top 10.

Plus what we gotta take into account are 4 things.

1) Drew does not want to be an utility type of guy. He'd also like plenty of minutes and would like to start, so the fact Red Sox has two great prospects that were money in the playoffs, only means Drew won't get the minutes he wants.

2) We only have to give up a weak draft pick, whereas the possibilities of us grabbing any great SS next FA would be hard considering Dodgers will wrap up Hanley, and Yankees/and other major spending teams will have the resources/income to spend. Plus I think Hanley is overrated, and we'd have to spend at least 5 million extra to compete with major spenders.

3) Drew is a top 10 SS right now. Besides Wright, who else can we say is in top 10 of any statistical positional category?

4) It doesn't hurt the development of Rosario, and Cechini, who are still at least 2 years away from being on a major league roster.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

and......

At third???  I mean, we (speaking in the first-person as another C's-Mets fan) have David Wright.  I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect an upgrade at that position.  Otherwise, I'd like an upgrade pretty much anywhere.  I'd personally pass on Drew.  He's solid, but if the Mets are still feeling budget pinched, I think he'd be a signing to regret long-term.  And with a still mediocre team, a short-term deal doesn't make sense.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
I'm a Mets fan too and I would like Drew too. Tejada is lazy and has low ceiling but I think he can be a good back-up. Is very tough to be a C's and Mets fan because both teams are rebuilding but let's hope they get back into contention soon.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
You can have him haha. Great defensive player. Showed nothing offensively in the playoffs for us, which, being a Mets fan you wont have to worry about  ;D

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:46:59 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

and......

At third???  I mean, we (speaking in the first-person as another C's-Mets fan) have David Wright.  I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect an upgrade at that position.  Otherwise, I'd like an upgrade pretty much anywhere.  I'd personally pass on Drew.  He's solid, but if the Mets are still feeling budget pinched, I think he'd be a signing to regret long-term.  And with a still mediocre team, a short-term deal doesn't make sense.

Was actually going to comment on this... Wright is arguably the best 3rd basemen in the league. If he wasn't in such a terrible team, he'd also have better numbers. Relatively speaking, the contract Cano got was compared by Yankees FO to David Wright. They used the numbers Wright put up, and put up comparsions to the contrast of a contract he'd get.

Wright should have had at least 5-7+ RBI.

I'm a Mets fan too and I would like Drew too. Tejada is lazy and has low ceiling but I think he can be a good back-up. Is very tough to be a C's and Mets fan because both teams are rebuilding but let's hope they get back into contention soon.

I don't like Tejada at all. I was furious we signed Quintilla, and even more furious when Chris Young was signed for over 6 mil.

I would love to have as many prospects. And I loved the Farnsworth signing.

I think signing Drew is a obvious choice. There isn't that great SS in FA next year that we can acquire, and the last thing I want to hear is payroll budget, and draft pick stopping us from signing a FA.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

and......

At third??? I mean, we (speaking in the first-person as another C's-Mets fan) have David Wright.  I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect an upgrade at that position.  Otherwise, I'd like an upgrade pretty much anywhere.  I'd personally pass on Drew.  He's solid, but if the Mets are still feeling budget pinched, I think he'd be a signing to regret long-term.  And with a still mediocre team, a short-term deal doesn't make sense.

Yeah definitely a mis-type on my part. I meant SS. I wouldn't trade Wright for any other third basement personally. He is too important to the franchise and in my eyes is the perfect franchise player.

The Young signing puzzled me. He is a great defensive outfielder, what we need in citifield (or at least has proven to be in seasons). However, our team needs a big offensive boost and his numbers have been putrid the last couple seasons. Now being in citifield I would expect them to be even worse.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 11:57:24 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

and......

At third??? I mean, we (speaking in the first-person as another C's-Mets fan) have David Wright.  I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect an upgrade at that position.  Otherwise, I'd like an upgrade pretty much anywhere.  I'd personally pass on Drew.  He's solid, but if the Mets are still feeling budget pinched, I think he'd be a signing to regret long-term.  And with a still mediocre team, a short-term deal doesn't make sense.

Yeah definitely a mis-type on my part. I meant SS. I wouldn't trade Wright for any other third basement personally. He is too important to the franchise and in my eyes is the perfect franchise player.

The Young signing puzzled me. He is a great defensive outfielder, what we need in citifield (or at least has proven to be in seasons). However, our team needs a big offensive boost and his numbers have been putrid the last couple seasons. Now being in citifield I would expect them to be even worse.

I don't know why they are seriously considering sending Lagares back to minors... Do you remember when they refused to give Reyes a contract? Their reasoning was that stealing bases, and having speed but literally no defense/offense was useless. Even though Reyes still had some pop to his bat, and defended pretty well. Reyes was skilled at stealing bases, and being very fast.

Now management 4 years later wants to give EYJ the lead off hitting spot... for what? Cause he can steal bases, and is very speedy.

Doh!

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 05:17:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Would just like to add.

For me when it comes to short stop, I'd rather have a great defensive player with okay offense, than an offensive SS with literally no ability to play defense. Derek Jeter doesn't count as hes offensively one of the best SS.

Career .264 hitter with a career OPS of .764. Only a handful of guys better offensive production out of SS than that, that you could actually get, especially considering the important fact that we're the Mets.

We need to sign Drew now... Who else are they going to get next year? Ramirez? Definitely re-signing with LAD. Hardy? Yankees bound. Lowrie? Guy who has only played 100 games once in his ENTIRE career? Who has been injured for 5 years in a row, and was once known as Stone Cold Lowrie? People keep dogging Stephen Drew, and even though Drew choked in the playoffs, you could see him playing hard nosed D.

How are we going to be able to pay for one of these guys even if we could? Imagine inking Lowrie/Hardy to 4-5+ deals..

Let alone the fact that you're giving up a first round pick for them versus a third.

Be realistic, the Mets need to jump on Stephen Drew now while his market value is plummeting.. The Sox has offered him a 2 year deal.. We should offer him 2 years with 1 year vesting option, and see where that gets us.

Adding Drew would at least make us competitive, and we might actually make the playoffs.

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Metsblog just came out with a good article and I agree with it that we should make moves now in free agency.

Honestly, I would sign Drew and Kendrys Morales. Offer them both 2 year deals worth ten to twelve million a year and finish up the budget around 100 mil a year, which for an NY team, should be the case. Go into the season with

1B: Morales
2B: Murphy
3B: Wright
SS: Drew
CF: Laragres
RF: Granderson
LF: Young/EYJ
C: D'Arnaud

Bench: Duda, Satin, Tejada, Recker, Young/EYJ

SP: Colon, Wheeler, Neise, Gee and either: Mejia, Montero, until Syndergaard is ready.

Trade Ike Davis look into signing one more arm for the bullpen. That team is very competitive in a weak NL East.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think the real issue is that the Sox extended Drew the qualifying offer and now the Mets not only have to pay Drew something close to what he's asking, but they also have to give the Sox picks.  I think the Mets would be more willing to accommodate Drew if they didn't have to give up picks. 

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 05:36:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Metsblog just came out with a good article and I agree with it that we should make moves now in free agency.

Honestly, I would sign Drew and Kendrys Morales. Offer them both 2 year deals worth ten to twelve million a year and finish up the budget around 100 mil a year, which for an NY team, should be the case. Go into the season with

1B: Morales
2B: Murphy
3B: Wright
SS: Drew
CF: Laragres
RF: Granderson
LF: Young/EYJ
C: D'Arnaud

Bench: Duda, Satin, Tejada, Recker, Young/EYJ

SP: Colon, Wheeler, Neise, Gee and either: Mejia, Montero, until Syndergaard is ready.

Trade Ike Davis look into signing one more arm for the bullpen. That team is very competitive in a weak NL East.

Stay away from Morales. I hate everything about him. To me he is the epitome of a player you stay far far far away from.

Honestly nothing about him is amazing, and yes he did have once MVP stellar numbers, but now he has declined, and is seeking a decent compensation.

I think the real issue is that the Sox extended Drew the qualifying offer and now the Mets not only have to pay Drew something close to what he's asking, but they also have to give the Sox picks.  I think the Mets would be more willing to accommodate Drew if they didn't have to give up picks. 

I don't think the Mets really care that much about the picks. I think their either posturing, or just not interested in Drew at all. Unfortunately, a top 10 SS should be worth the money we could offer 2/24, but we're refusing to give it up... Restoring to trying to pick up more veteran pitchers.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 09:45:31 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
According to Sandy Alderson when discussing to season ticket holders, a friend of mine who went there told me this.

1. Alderson is still pumping up Tejada and his workouts to fans, expressing positive vibes about how hard he is working.
2) Alderson still doesn't view Drew as much of an upgrade over Tejada.
3) But they are still evaluating him. Which means 2 is probably just a lie...
4) Vic Black may get closing opportunities, and late innings looks.
5. Alderson stated they have a private workout with 'Joel Hanrahan' today.
6. They will have at least 12 players that are not on the 40man roster in ST.
7. Nimmo will be one of the 12, in order to receive big league experience.
8. Alderson compared Dom Smith to Adrián González but stated he wanted Dom to fill out more and get much bigger, before making more decisive decisions.
9. Matt Harvey WILL NOT pitch AT ALL this season under any circumstance. When reporters asked him to elaborate after Matt Harvey said he was dying to pitch this year, Alderson said unless everything medical related checks out, Harvey may pitch a few games, but nothing is certain at this point.

----

But let me tell you... Boras must have some balls..

February 7

Stephen Drew’s agent, Scott Boras, is seeking an opt-out clause after the first year of a deal, reports ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin.

Rubin says that though the Mets are willing to consider guaranteeing two or even three years to the free agent shortstop, they view the opt-out as a “deal-breaker.”

And the plot thickens.

Of course the opt-out clause would diminish his trade value should that eventuality present itself…

February 6

According to Sandy Alderson, the Mets are now willing to offer three years to free agent Stephen Drew.

It’s a departure from what we’ve been hearing from Alderson all Winter long and it may signal that the Mets might be willing to blink and give Drew what he wants.