Author Topic: Antoine Walker: How has history treated your feelings toward Employee #8?  (Read 19504 times)

Re: Antoine Walker: How has history treated your feelings toward Employee #8?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
The tragedy of antoine is that he joined an organization without any leadership and was given the keys to the kingdom.  Nobody to demand that he defers to them on the court and a court of jesters in the front office.

Pitino came on and provided the advice "come back different" well actually like pippen or like malone.  Really?  Tell him how you want him to improve!

Antoine had the tools, and the skills to be much better and I think the celtics failed to provide the leadership necessary.  Those that doubt the skills youtube some of his left hand drive / left hand finish moves.  Too many little guys cannot do that, nevermind someone with his size.  II miss his passing and the immediate  impact his departure had on pierces game.  i missed seeing pierce pinning his guy on the block and toine threading a pass over the top for an easy pierce bucket.

Antoine is at fault for allowing his ego to develop, but the celtics leadership, in his early tenure, was tragic. It is  sad (as far as failing to meet you hoop talent can be sad).

I liked toine.  He had heart and he was the only ray of hope in some dreadful years.

bingo! gave you a TP!

Antoine was a player that coming out of college was getting comparisons to Magic Johnson. that's not something that gets thrown around easily.

having no one to discipline him early in his career was the worst thing for him. I really wish tommy got a chance to coach him. considering tommy had said he was the best offensive rebounder he had ever seen. I think if tommy were in his ear on a day to day basis it would've brought the best out of Antoine.

in my lifetime I think Antoine and Derrick Coleman are the 2 most talented players to not reach their potential.

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He had a ton of potential and was one of the worst jackers of all time.  In addition to having an all around selfish and arrogant attitude.  Don't give him a pass on that.

Don't miss him at all.

Only thing I've enjoyed Toine releated recently was going back to a quote about Pierce where he said Pierce was a pretty good bench player but they should have drafted Nazr Muhammad instead.

I saw a few pieces on him post the Pierce return to Boston and found them pretty profoundly sad... trying to steal a piece of Pierce's well deserved love from Celtics fans as his own.  I don't expect him to apologize for how he played or acted, but reading his comments seemed like he still doesn't get it.

Retire his number, Wyc!  (I say this last part mostly in jest, but there have been worse travesties.)

It really should be all jest.  That's awful to think about.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:55:07 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 12:50:12 PM »

Offline tfwhiteiii

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Walker was the anti bird for me.  Hated him.  History or time has made me feel sorry for the guy who squandering millions.  Then I think of a guy like Robert Cousy who had to sell championship rings etc because he wasn't paid like walker  ???
Guess something could be said about Kentucky basketball and education during the time pit :-Xno was there but that isn't anything unusual

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 01:36:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Face it - most players never reach their 'potential'. It's an easy statement to throw around. In his prime, he was an all-star and the co-leader of a very exciting playoff team.

Basketball in Boston sucked from the end of the Bird Era until the beginning of the new Big 3. For a few years we were able to watch a fun, explosive offense that revolved around taking the 3. It was Jim O'Brien's philosophy and for the team we had on the court, it worked quite well. Frankly, if you think about it, you have the same efficiency if you shoot 33% from 3 or 50% from 2.

Could Antoine have been a Hall of Famer? Sure, but a lot of players 'could' have been.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 01:37:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
'Toine lost a majority of his money in real estate when the 2008 crash happened, just like a lot of other people who aren't basketball players and didn't go to Kentucky.

That was one of my personal highlights of last year--his part in Broke when he was like "yeah, so I lost like a million dollars gambling, but I had 150 million in the bank. That wasn't the problem"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
loved Antoine's heart and his love of being a Celtic.  Loved the fact he didn't duck the spotlight when things were harsh.  I respected his ability to take the heat when things weren't going well.

will never forget his rookie year -- the sole bright spot in the year of ML.  he looked like the steal of that draft at #6.  played in the post, rebounded, great passer and ball handler.  had terrific hands. 

AND THEN, Pitino showed up and screwed him up royally.  Let Antione become a chucker and took him out from under the basket.   

Can't help but have good thoughts about the guy that led the team back form the biggest playoff deficit in the second half of a playoff game against the Nets.  Definitely in my top 5 of greatest games I've ever seen.

Still think Danny got hosed in the Dallas trade.  wish I had been able to get tickets to Antoine's first game back after the trade :(

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Antoine taken apart piece by piece:

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/3604-30the-antoine-bubble-how-it-burst-why-it-was-all-too-predictable

I don't think they give Pitino enough credit for Antoine's lack of development. And I couldn't believe "The piece was written by arguably the most highly regarded basketball writer of all time in Bob Ryan". Hilarious.

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
loved Antoine's heart and his love of being a Celtic.  Loved the fact he didn't duck the spotlight when things were harsh.  I respected his ability to take the heat when things weren't going well.

will never forget his rookie year -- the sole bright spot in the year of ML.  he looked like the steal of that draft at #6.  played in the post, rebounded, great passer and ball handler.  had terrific hands. 

AND THEN, Pitino showed up and screwed him up royally.  Let Antione become a chucker and took him out from under the basket.   

Can't help but have good thoughts about the guy that led the team back form the biggest playoff deficit in the second half of a playoff game against the Nets.  Definitely in my top 5 of greatest games I've ever seen.

Still think Danny got hosed in the Dallas trade.  wish I had been able to get tickets to Antoine's first game back after the trade :(

If Danny had gotten real lucky with any of those 3 picks around 20 or so, or if Raef had been a bit healthier, or preferably both, it may not have been so bad.  TA's injury killed his chance of being a top-level player...could've been a poor man's Wade?

In retrospect, the best road would've been to let his contract run out and S&T or just take the space.

Danny sure walked into a mess, though.

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 02:37:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I saw a few pieces on him post the Pierce return to Boston and found them pretty profoundly sad... trying to steal a piece of Pierce's well deserved love from Celtics fans as his own.  I don't expect him to apologize for how he played or acted, but reading his comments seemed like he still doesn't get it.

I only read the Gary Washburn article, and I thought he was really respectful, towards Paul, the fans, and the organization.  The only thing controversial was the semi-sensational headline.

Link

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 02:49:15 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Flaws and annoyances aside, the backboard game winning three against the Lakers is one of my favorite Celtics moments.

my only real regret with the "Toine" era is that we could have drafted kobe.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 03:20:10 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Walker and Pierce was one of the best one two punch in the nba
imo

Walker brought excitement thst was missing for many years
I give mad props

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Antoine taken apart piece by piece:

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/3604-30the-antoine-bubble-how-it-burst-why-it-was-all-too-predictable

I don't think they give Pitino enough credit for Antoine's lack of development. And I couldn't believe "The piece was written by arguably the most highly regarded basketball writer of all time in Bob Ryan". Hilarious.

That article is a bunch of self-righteous nonsense. Definitely a great slide for a bleacher report article on "ten pieces that show just how far Boston sportswriting has fallen."
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Antoine represents the one thing ML Carr did when running the team that was borderline brilliant. We had the 9th pick in his draft and Carr swapped Eric Montross and the 9th pick for the 6th pick and a 1st rounder the next year (ended up the #3 pick).

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Anyone that lets their game deteriorate that much just bothers me.  Check out some of his later year FT%.  Yuck.  And he had gotten so lazy on the boards before he was traded.