Author Topic: Would you trade Sullinger, Rondo, and a first for DMC?  (Read 15142 times)

Re: Would you trade Sullinger, Rondo, and a first
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 01:20:20 AM »

fitzhickey

Absolutely, and I wouldn't think twice.  Especially if it was the Clippers pick and not our own 2014 first.  I would do that and then figure out a way to land Lowry, who is undervalued.  Possibly via a 3-way deal with Jeff Green.

pg- Lowry
sg- Bradley
sf- 2014 own pick
pf- bass
c- cousins

I like Sullinger but given his athleticism (none), he is about maxed out as a player.
If he is maxed out as a 20-10 guy then I keep him definitely

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 05:38:29 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo and Sullinger are nice players, but DeMarcus Cousins is the type of transcendent talent we're going to need to go really far.

Of course, that's why Sacramento wouldn't do this deal.

Sacramento wouldn't do the deal, but is he really a transcendent talent? Cousins is 23, he's in his 4th year and he's putting up very good numbers. But his team is terrible and so's every team he's ever been on. I wonder how many bigs that were the best or 2nd best player on a team that went to the finals you could say that about. I wonder how many bigs who were seen as among the best bigs of their era fit that description?

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 05:58:50 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Absolutely, and I wouldn't think twice.  Especially if it was the Clippers pick and not our own 2014 first.  I would do that and then figure out a way to land Lowry, who is undervalued.  Possibly via a 3-way deal with Jeff Green.

pg- Lowry
sg- Bradley
sf- 2014 own pick
pf- bass
c- cousins

I like Sullinger but given his athleticism (none), he is about maxed out as a player.

Sullinger's in his second year and his per36 scoring jumped from 11 last year to 18 this year. Clearly he's not maxed out as a player.

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 06:45:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Clearly he's not maxed out as a player.

Other than shooting where is he going to improve?   He is already a cagy player with a lot of tricks.   I have always thought he was old school and NBA ready.   He won't ever have the ceiling of a guy like Embiid but he can play and contributed immediately.   But I just don't see room for huge gains in improvement.   The improvements from last to this year were largely playing time and little else.   His skill set is largely the same one he has always had.

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 07:02:48 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
31 points, 16 rebounds against us - quite dominant.

Exact same numbers as the guy on our team and he played 6 fewer minutes

31/16
on 11 for 19 shooting got 11 at the line, had his shot blocked twice and committed 4 turnovers in 39:30

31/16 on 14 for 24 got 2 at the line, had his shot blocked 0 times and committed 2 turnovers in 33:20

One is a trancendent player who has elevated everyone around him to 17 wins and the other is a vertically limited player who is in his first full season post surgery...and just played a hell of a game against the premiere big man in the league right now.

I think a lot of you folks would like to get Cousins then try and figure out how much you can get for him.

31/16

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 07:14:55 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
How about a complete overhaul?

Rondo, AB, and Sullinger to Sacramento

Cousins, Mclemore, Thomas to Celtics

Jimmer Fredette to Suns
Celtics 2014 2nd round pick to Suns

Works in the trade machine!

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ljns89x

Phoenix is just there to absorb salary and they get our high 2nd round pick to do so.

Celtics new lineup

1. Isiah Thomas
2. Mclemore
3. Green
4. Bass
5. Cousins

And we still have our top 5 1st round pick.  so we can draft either Exum for the 1 position or Wiggins/Parker for the 3.

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 07:24:28 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
NO and NO, unless this is some kind of trick question!!!

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »

Offline kingtutts

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Rondo, Sullinger, and a first is definitely too much for Cousins.

Massive overpay.  A more likely deal, Sullinger, the Brooklyn/Atlanta first in '14, a future first, and an expiring like humphries, while taking back a bad contract. 

But I would do a lot to put Cousins next to Rondo.  Those are cornerstones of a contender.

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Cousins has really matured, and is actually showing some leadership in Sacramento.  He's got some attitude problems, but his issues are more from being too passionate, rather than from not caring.  I think that's a huge distinction.

Right now, he's the best offensive center in the game, and he's actually playing pretty good defense.  For those who haven't followed him, we're talking about 22.6 points, 11.7 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.7 steals and 1.2 blocks, on 49% shooting.  Plus, he's taking and making FTs at a nice clip.

The problem is that if you take Cousins and drop him on to this team with no legit talent, then his frustration is going to build.  He's be a *great* option to pair with Rondo.  Give the guy an elite point guard and some high-quality role-players who can defend and stretch the floor, and I think you'd have a real contender.

The value in the proposal is certainly fair, I just don't know if it's the best situation for DMC.  It depends upon how quickly Danny could get him legit help.

I actually like DMC as well. Good player, and tough. Would you trade Green and our 2014 pick for him to get it done?

Green and our pick?  In a heartbeat.  He's the type of talent you HOPE one of those picks can one day become. 

No way Sac does that.

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2014, 08:26:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
31 points, 16 rebounds against us - quite dominant.
was at the game.  he looked no more dominant than Sully tonight.

I could be talked into Sully and a late 1st for Cousins but not Sully, Rondo and our first this year.  way too much.

Yes, but Sully has great games like this about once every 4 or 5 games. Sure he's gone on a nice stretch lately, but I'll be very surprised if it lasts. 

Cousins has been doing this all year, and he's been an 18/10 player his entire career.

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 08:31:21 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

pg- Lowry
sg- Bradley
sf- 2014 own pick
pf- bass
c- cousins

Sully isn' a 20-10 guy.  He's a 13-8 guy. 

Just because he's averaged 20-10 over the last week or whatever, doesn't mean all those oher 7-5 games never happened.

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Rondo and Sullinger are nice players, but DeMarcus Cousins is the type of transcendent talent we're going to need to go really far.

Sacramento wouldn't do the deal, but is he really a transcendent talent? Cousins is 23, he's in his 4th year and he's putting up very good numbers. But his team is terrible and so's every team he's ever been on. I wonder how many bigs that were the best or 2nd best player on a team that went to the finals you could say that about. I wonder how many bigs who were seen as among the best bigs of their era fit that description?

No player is going to win without legit teammates. KG spent two consecutive years losing 50 games per year. If he hadn't asked for a trade, who knows how long that losing streak could have been?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully isn' a 20-10 guy.  He's a 13-8 guy

I think he is a 15-9 guy in the future.   But I do not like he is a future 20-10 guy.   He plays a tall athletic big and those numbers go down a lot.

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 11:27:34 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Clearly he's not maxed out as a player.

Other than shooting where is he going to improve?   He is already a cagy player with a lot of tricks.   I have always thought he was old school and NBA ready.   He won't ever have the ceiling of a guy like Embiid but he can play and contributed immediately.   But I just don't see room for huge gains in improvement.   The improvements from last to this year were largely playing time and little else.   His skill set is largely the same one he has always had.

Defense? Scoring? Consistency? How much he will improve is up for debate, the number of ways he could improve aren't that hard to list.

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

No player is going to win without legit teammates. KG spent two consecutive years losing 50 games per year. If he hadn't asked for a trade, who knows how long that losing streak could have been?

I'm just saying at some point in time warning bells have to start going off for people. His teammates aren't great but aren't universally bad. If people are calling Cousins a transcendent talent, start listing other transcendent bigs that wouldn't make that team significantly better is you swapped them for Cousins at the same age. I've never seen one.