Author Topic: ESPN analysts think Danny won't trade Rondo now...  (Read 5512 times)

ESPN analysts think Danny won't trade Rondo now...
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:16:41 PM »

Offline revtodd64

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Four out of five argue Rondo should stay.  I agree for all the reasons stated below;

2. Fact or Fiction: The Celtics should move Rondo before the deadline.

Adande: Fact. As with the Lakers and Gasol, there have been far too many Rajon-Rondo-rumor-Danny-Ainge-denial cycles for the Celtics. Please, for everyone involved, bring it to a stop. After he played in 92 playoff games in his first six full seasons in the league, sitting through a rebuild during the prime of his career can't appeal to Rondo. Spending $13 million next year for a player with an 11-point career scoring average and no All-Stars to pass to can't appeal to the Celtics. Give both sides a chance to start anew.

Elhassan: Fiction. I wrote about why Boston should keep Rondo, but even if you're convinced he has no future in a Celtics uniform, there's no rush to move him now. Rondo is under contract through 2014-15 at a very reasonable rate, so Boston has three more "pressure points" beyond this trade deadline when it can deal him: draft day, July 1 (start of free agency) and trade deadline 2015.

Feldman: Fiction. Rondo is just 27, and he could easily still be in his prime when the Celtics are next ready to win. There's no reason to rush Rondo out of town, especially when he's still rusty and helping Boston tank as he plays through his struggles.

Strauss: Fiction. Even if the Celtics have designs on moving Rondo, they should probably wait 'til he's fully healthy. Also, what if he thrives alongside coach Brad Stevens? Maybe it'd be better to keep him under those circumstances? I'm not wholly against the idea of considering a Rondo trade, but I doubt they'll get good offers right now.

Sunnergren: Fiction. Let's keep it simple. The Celtics are in the process of building another title contender. Elite 27-year-old point guards who elevate their games on the sport's biggest stages are very helpful to title contenders. Unless Ainge gets blown away -- which seems unlikely -- Rondo should stay put.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-140204/trade-deadline-moves

Re: ESPN analysts think Danny won't trade Rondo now...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not trust ESPN Progandists more than I could spit.

n. Let's keep it simple. The Celtics are in the process of building another title contender. Elite 27-year-old point guards who elevate their games on the sport's biggest stages are very helpful to title contenders. Unless Ainge gets blown away -- which seems unlikely -- Rondo should stay put.

Can't wait to hear LarBrd33 on this one...

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:27:59 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
"L.A." Adande wanting Celtics to move Rondo?

That sounds about right.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:31:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Technically, they are saying that Ainge shouldn't trade Rondo, not that he won't.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Technically, they are saying that Ainge shouldn't trade Rondo, not that he won't.

Indeed, the headline to this thread is misleading and probably should be changed.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 07:55:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

That sounds about right.

And his first reason for it is to put a stop to the "trade Rondo" rumors.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

That sounds about right.

And his first reason for it is to put a stop to the "trade Rondo" rumors.

I find that hilarious.

Oh the media.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
JA Adande's a dope.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 08:01:23 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
"I'm tired of us just trying to make this a story so just MAKE IT A STORY ALREADY C'MON"

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 08:01:55 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

That sounds about right.

Adande is the same idiot a week ago proposed that a Rondo for Pau Gasol deal would be "good for everyone involved" and "give the Celtics some much needed flexibility".
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 08:10:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

That sounds about right.

Adande is the same idiot a week ago proposed that a Rondo for Pau Gasol deal would be "good for everyone involved" and "give the Celtics some much needed flexibility".

So we can land one of those sure fire free agents the Celtics always bring in.

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 08:22:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

n. Let's keep it simple. The Celtics are in the process of building another title contender. Elite 27-year-old point guards who elevate their games on the sport's biggest stages are very helpful to title contenders. Unless Ainge gets blown away -- which seems unlikely -- Rondo should stay put.

Well first of all the title of this thread is misleading.  This isn't ESPN analysts thinking Rondo will not be traded... this is some ESPN analysts making a suggestion for Boston to keep Rondo.

And sure... if we get crap offers, we should keep him.  But if there's an offer on the table that will net us some assets and ensure that we'll continue to bottom out, Ainge will pull the trigger.

Adande's quote seems more in line with reality:

Fact. As with the Lakers and Gasol, there have been far too many Rajon-Rondo-rumor-Danny-Ainge-denial cycles for the Celtics. Please, for everyone involved, bring it to a stop. After he played in 92 playoff games in his first six full seasons in the league, sitting through a rebuild during the prime of his career can't appeal to Rondo. Spending $13 million next year for a player with an 11-point career scoring average and no All-Stars to pass to can't appeal to the Celtics. Give both sides a chance to start anew.

As for building a contender... It wouldn't really shock me if Boston traded our picks, Sullinger, our expiring contracts and Bradley for immediate upgrades.  It's a possibility.  I think it's less of a possibility than Boston cashing in on Rondo and starting fresh.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 08:25:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Well first of all the title of this thread is misleading.  This isn't ESPN analysts thinking Rondo will not be traded... this is some ESPN analysts making a suggestion for Boston to keep Rondo.

And sure... if we get crap offers, we should keep him.  But if there's an offer on the table that will net us some assets and ensure that we'll continue to bottom out, Ainge will pull the trigger.

Fact. As with the Lakers and Gasol, there have been far too many Rajon-Rondo-rumor-Danny-Ainge-denial cycles for the Celtics. Please, for everyone involved, bring it to a stop. After he played in 92 playoff games in his first six full seasons in the league, sitting through a rebuild during the prime of his career can't appeal to Rondo. Spending $13 million next year for a player with an 11-point career scoring average and no All-Stars to pass to can't appeal to the Celtics. Give both sides a chance to start anew.

As for building a contender... It wouldn't really shock me if Boston traded our picks, Sullinger, our expiring contracts and Bradley for immediate upgrades.  It's a possibility.  I think it's less of a possibility than Boston cashing in on Rondo and starting fresh.

Its only really in line with reality if you consider PPG the end all/be all for judging a player's talents.

Which, I'm guessing, Danny does not.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 08:25:23 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Because the assists don't count unless the pass is thrown to a player currently on the All Star team.

Again, Rondo gets no respect.  He is a player only good because of others.  I really don't see another player that is treated this way in the league by fans or the media.

As if KG and Pierce were so fantastic the last few years.  Not that I don't respect both guys a ton... but they were limited compared to their careers and you can see what they are now in Brooklyn.

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Continuing to bottom out is your dream, not Danny's or Wyc's. Their goal (as they've stated more than a few times) is to get back to contention as quickly as possible.