Author Topic: Chad Ford: "I think it's going to be an epic trade deadline"  (Read 11949 times)

Re: Chad Ford: "I think it's going to be an epic trade deadline"
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 12:58:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I watched the TrueHoopTV video of Chad Ford on the front of ESPN and he finishes the video specifically talking about the Celtics.

His points:

- When Ainge says he wants to build around Rondo... that's EXACTLY what he'd say if he was shopping him.  He's not going to come out and say "We want to trade Rondo".  He says Ainge has a history of saying one thing and doing the complete opposite.  He didn't rule out the possibility of Boston keeping Rondo, but said that with Ainge he will always accept the best offer.  If he gets a good offer for Green, he'll take it.  If he gets a good offer for Sullinger, he'll take it.  If gets a good offer for Rondo, he'll take it.  And of course... if he gets a good offer for the lotto pick (currently projected #4), he'll take it.

Basically echos what I've been thinking all season.  I don't think it's a lock that we'll trade Rondo, but I'd say there's a better than 50% chance he's gone at the deadline if he continues to show he's healthy over the next 6 games.

makes no sense to trade him before the draft , We need a very high draft pick back (5-8range).

LA Lakers , Charlotte's Pistons pick, and Sacramento could all be in that range, but I wouldn't trade for any of this picks until I know for sure at the lottery .

Makes no sense to trade Rondo right now when you will have plenty of time this summer if they want to go in a different direction .

By trading Rondo now you are committing to strictly building through the draft, and/or hoping big free agents or disgruntled stars would want to come here,

By keeping Rondo you give yourself more than one direction you can go in . If we miss out on a top 3 pick , it would be nice to have another legit option to building towards a contender .

Per Reddit's comments:

I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said at the end that "If the Celtics get a good offer for Rondo, they'll trade him. If not, they'll keep him. If the Celtics get a good offer for Green, they'll trade him. If not, they'll keep him. If the Celtics get a good offer for their pick, they'll trade it, but they won't if they don't get a good offer because Ainge is a good GM."

Thanks for that great insider information Chad Ford.

There is a point in there; he feels the Celtics are willing to part with any of their assets. They're not fully committed to anything about their team, but at the same time they're not desperate to dump everything.

Very true, but it just seemed like he was basing most of the conclusions off of the fact that he thinks Ainge is a good GM, and not from info from inner circles.

That's very boring. But also very true. Also very smart.

And what's hidden in the depths of LarBrd33's post, which I put in bold, could be interesting if it happens. Of course, that's Chad Ford's opinion but nonetheless food for thought.

Was Chad Ford referencing Pau Gasol when he said the deadline will be "epic"?
The two paragraphs back-to-back make it seem like you're suggesting Boston would trade their projected #4 pick for Pau Gasol.

Let's talk about it.

If you could get the Lakers to take Wallace + Bass + our pick... it would make some sense for both teams.

On the surface that seems insane, but I've thought through this scenario in my head.

Ultimately, Rondo and Gasol (who predictably showed vintage signs last month averaging 20, 10 and 2) probably vault this team into the pathetic Eastern Conference playoff race.  So ultimately you wouldn't be giving up a #4... You'd be giving up #15.

Getting rid of Wallace and Bass for Gasol potentially means you've freed up a ton of cap space this summer if you don't extend Gasol.  Granted, if you DO extend Gasol, it will probably just be for the same kind of money you had Wallace on the books for (12 mil a year) and still would free up cap space since you dumped Bass off the books. 

You'd have to make another couple moves for it to make sense... and the Lakers are unlikely to take on salary when free agents are itching to come to LA and letting Pau walk gives them cap space to sign one.   More likely you see Pau traded for another expiring contract and a weak pick. 

So maybe you trade your projected #4-15, Wallace and Sullinger in a package to the Knicks for Melo.  Then you trade Hump + Bogans expiring + Brooklyn's 1st for Pau... You ride out the season with Rondo, Melo and Pau and have a shot to make noise.  Does that make more sense?  Probably not. 

Really I'm prepared for anything... anything but standing pat.  Standing pat would shock me.

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 01:20:29 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I watched the TrueHoopTV video of Chad Ford on the front of ESPN and he finishes the video specifically talking about the Celtics.

His points:

- When Ainge says he wants to build around Rondo... that's EXACTLY what he'd say if he was shopping him.  He's not going to come out and say "We want to trade Rondo".  He says Ainge has a history of saying one thing and doing the complete opposite.  He didn't rule out the possibility of Boston keeping Rondo, but said that with Ainge he will always accept the best offer.  If he gets a good offer for Green, he'll take it.  If he gets a good offer for Sullinger, he'll take it.  If gets a good offer for Rondo, he'll take it.  And of course... if he gets a good offer for the lotto pick (currently projected #4), he'll take it.

Basically echos what I've been thinking all season.  I don't think it's a lock that we'll trade Rondo, but I'd say there's a better than 50% chance he's gone at the deadline if he continues to show he's healthy over the next 6 games.

makes no sense to trade him before the draft , We need a very high draft pick back (5-8range).

LA Lakers , Charlotte's Pistons pick, and Sacramento could all be in that range, but I wouldn't trade for any of this picks until I know for sure at the lottery .

Makes no sense to trade Rondo right now when you will have plenty of time this summer if they want to go in a different direction .

By trading Rondo now you are committing to strictly building through the draft, and/or hoping big free agents or disgruntled stars would want to come here,

By keeping Rondo you give yourself more than one direction you can go in . If we miss out on a top 3 pick , it would be nice to have another legit option to building towards a contender .

Per Reddit's comments:

I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said at the end that "If the Celtics get a good offer for Rondo, they'll trade him. If not, they'll keep him. If the Celtics get a good offer for Green, they'll trade him. If not, they'll keep him. If the Celtics get a good offer for their pick, they'll trade it, but they won't if they don't get a good offer because Ainge is a good GM."

Thanks for that great insider information Chad Ford.

There is a point in there; he feels the Celtics are willing to part with any of their assets. They're not fully committed to anything about their team, but at the same time they're not desperate to dump everything.

Very true, but it just seemed like he was basing most of the conclusions off of the fact that he thinks Ainge is a good GM, and not from info from inner circles.

That's very boring. But also very true. Also very smart.

And what's hidden in the depths of LarBrd33's post, which I put in bold, could be interesting if it happens. Of course, that's Chad Ford's opinion but nonetheless food for thought.

Was Chad Ford referencing Pau Gasol when he said the deadline will be "epic"?
The two paragraphs back-to-back make it seem like you're suggesting Boston would trade their projected #4 pick for Pau Gasol.

Let's talk about it.

If you could get the Lakers to take Wallace + Bass + our pick... it would make some sense for both teams.

On the surface that seems insane, but I've thought through this scenario in my head.

Ultimately, Rondo and Gasol (who predictably showed vintage signs last month averaging 20, 10 and 2) probably vault this team into the pathetic Eastern Conference playoff race.  So ultimately you wouldn't be giving up a #4... You'd be giving up #15.

Getting rid of Wallace and Bass for Gasol potentially means you've freed up a ton of cap space this summer if you don't extend Gasol.  Granted, if you DO extend Gasol, it will probably just be for the same kind of money you had Wallace on the books for (12 mil a year) and still would free up cap space since you dumped Bass off the books. 

You'd have to make another couple moves for it to make sense... and the Lakers are unlikely to take on salary when free agents are itching to come to LA and letting Pau walk gives them cap space to sign one.   More likely you see Pau traded for another expiring contract and a weak pick. 

So maybe you trade your projected #4-15, Wallace and Sullinger in a package to the Knicks for Melo.  Then you trade Hump + Bogans expiring + Brooklyn's 1st for Pau... You ride out the season with Rondo, Melo and Pau and have a shot to make noise.  Does that make more sense?  Probably not. 

Really I'm prepared for anything... anything but standing pat.  Standing pat would shock me.

My bad. They're not related. But that could be interesting. Melo or Gasol or both...

I was thinking more along the lines of a young prospect. Don't know if Kanter's worth it. MKG doesn't seem worth it.

It's honestly slim pickings out there right now either way, pick or not. That's why it'd be interesting if Ainge moves the pick since it'd come out of nowhere.

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 02:34:08 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Trade deadlines always hold so much promise but more often than not, it's relatively quiet. If anything, there will probably a bunch of small deals for role players. Not holding my breath for anything "epic".
- LilRip