Author Topic: Chad Ford: "I think it's going to be an epic trade deadline"  (Read 11967 times)

Re: Chad Ford: "I think it's going to be an epic trade deadline"
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Danny please trade Green, AB

I don't mind Bass and Humphries staying actually

Faverani prob needs a new start also

I can't put my finger on exactly why but I get the sense that Danny likes AB. Not to the tune of $8M or anything crazy, mind you, but I don't think he has the angst of going with AB as his starting SG that many people here do.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 10:40:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I can't put my finger on exactly why but I get the sense that Danny likes AB. Not to the tune of $8M or anything crazy, mind you, but I don't think he has the angst of going with AB as his starting SG that many people here do.

you pay your starting SG 8 million a year and feel good about it.  Not sure if Danny wants to make sure AB is back healthy 100 percent or he can play without kg and pp but i don't have a good feeling , he wants to pay him that much and/or pegs him as the long term SG.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 10:47:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

you pay your starting SG 8 million a year and feel good about it.  Not sure if Danny wants to make sure AB is back healthy 100 percent or he can play without kg and pp but i don't have a good feeling , he wants to pay him that much and/or pegs him as the long term SG.

Not every starter gets $8M  a year.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 11:22:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I watched the TrueHoopTV video of Chad Ford on the front of ESPN and he finishes the video specifically talking about the Celtics.

His points:

- When Ainge says he wants to build around Rondo... that's EXACTLY what he'd say if he was shopping him.  He's not going to come out and say "We want to trade Rondo".  He says Ainge has a history of saying one thing and doing the complete opposite.  He didn't rule out the possibility of Boston keeping Rondo, but said that with Ainge he will always accept the best offer.  If he gets a good offer for Green, he'll take it.  If he gets a good offer for Sullinger, he'll take it.  If gets a good offer for Rondo, he'll take it.  And of course... if he gets a good offer for the lotto pick (currently projected #4), he'll take it.

Basically echos what I've been thinking all season.  I don't think it's a lock that we'll trade Rondo, but I'd say there's a better than 50% chance he's gone at the deadline if he continues to show he's healthy over the next 6 games.

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 11:29:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I watched that THTV spot too LB, and does Chad Ford not understand how pOison pill contracts work? Larry Sanders is going nowhere! No contender can trade for him, because no contender can afford him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 11:32:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I watched the TrueHoopTV video of Chad Ford on the front of ESPN and he finishes the video specifically talking about the Celtics.

His points:

- When Ainge says he wants to build around Rondo... that's EXACTLY what he'd say if he was shopping him.  He's not going to come out and say "We want to trade Rondo".  He says Ainge has a history of saying one thing and doing the complete opposite.  He didn't rule out the possibility of Boston keeping Rondo, but said that with Ainge he will always accept the best offer.  If he gets a good offer for Green, he'll take it.  If he gets a good offer for Sullinger, he'll take it.  If gets a good offer for Rondo, he'll take it.  And of course... if he gets a good offer for the lotto pick (currently projected #4), he'll take it.

Basically echos what I've been thinking all season.  I don't think it's a lock that we'll trade Rondo, but I'd say there's a better than 50% chance he's gone at the deadline if he continues to show he's healthy over the next 6 games.

So, if Ainge says one thing then does the complete opposite, does that mean if AInge actually wants to build around Rondo, he'd be shopping him hard?  Does Ford have an opinion of what Ainge would do if he actually wants to build around Rondo?  Do you?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

His points:

So, if Ainge says one thing then does the complete opposite, does that mean if AInge actually wants to build around Rondo, he'd be shopping him hard?  Does Ford have an opinion of what Ainge would do if he actually wants to build around Rondo?  Do you?

If Ainge was gonna build around Rondo, he'd put a contract out on his life and unfriend him in a public way on Facebook. That's what I got from it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 11:37:41 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

His points:

makes no sense to trade him before the draft , We need a very high draft pick back (5-8range).

LA Lakers , Charlotte's Pistons pick, and Sacramento could all be in that range, but I wouldn't trade for any of those picks until I know for sure at the lottery .

Makes no sense to trade Rondo right now when you will have plenty of time this summer if they want to go in a different direction .

By trading Rondo now you are committing to strictly building through the draft, and/or hoping big free agents or disgruntled stars would want to come here,

By keeping Rondo you give yourself more than one direction you can go in . If we miss out on a top 3 pick , it would be nice to have another legit option to building towards a contender .
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:48:21 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

His points:

makes no sense to trade him before the draft , We need a very high draft pick back (5-8range).
The argument is that if you wait until the draft to trade him, you might lose out on your OWN draft pick ending up in the 5-8 range.

And for the record, I doubt any team would give up a pick in the 5-8 range for Rondo.  You could probably get something like MKG and an expiring contract.

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 12:07:01 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

His points:

LA Lakers , Charlotte's Pistons pick, and Sacramento could all be in that range, but I wouldn't trade for any of this picks until I know for sure at the lottery .

Makes no sense to trade Rondo right now when you will have plenty of time this summer if they want to go in a different direction .

By trading Rondo now you are committing to strictly building through the draft, and/or hoping big free agents or disgruntled stars would want to come here,

By keeping Rondo you give yourself more than one direction you can go in . If we miss out on a top 3 pick , it would be nice to have another legit option to building towards a contender .

Per Reddit's comments:

I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said at the end that "If the Celtics get a good offer for Rondo, they'll trade him. If not, they'll keep him. If the Celtics get a good offer for Green, they'll trade him. If not, they'll keep him. If the Celtics get a good offer for their pick, they'll trade it, but they won't if they don't get a good offer because Ainge is a good GM."

Thanks for that great insider information Chad Ford.

There is a point in there; he feels the Celtics are willing to part with any of their assets. They're not fully committed to anything about their team, but at the same time they're not desperate to dump everything.

Very true, but it just seemed like he was basing most of the conclusions off of the fact that he thinks Ainge is a good GM, and not from info from inner circles.

That's very boring. But also very true. Also very smart.

And what's hidden in the depths of LarBrd33's post, which I put in bold, could be interesting if it happens. Of course, that's Chad Ford's opinion but nonetheless food for thought.

Was Chad Ford referencing Pau Gasol when he said the deadline will be "epic"?

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 12:08:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
And for the record, I doubt any team would give up a pick in the 5-8 range for Rondo.  You could probably get something like MKG and an expiring contract.

I'd agree with that, but I don't know that Charlotte has given up on MKG yet.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 12:09:41 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

His points:

The argument is that if you wait until the draft to trade him, you might lose out on your OWN draft pick ending up in the 5-8 range.

We have 1 win with Rondo,that being against the 2nd worst team in the league. Danny will move a few more pieces before the deadline to ensure the tank .

what's the point of moving Rondo at all if all you are getting is MKG and an expiring ?  is that what you want to trade Rondo for?  ::)

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 12:12:00 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
 Ainges recently stated plan which is clearly a OKC model more than a Houston one (so he said)...then he needs Rondo. But he needs Rondo to play ball and really "negotiate" with his and the teams interests both given consideration.

My uneasiness was the recent trench digging which was rapid and shots have been fired..sporadic shots but it seems it has passed.

We need a PG who can possibly attract another star and yeah he sees the floor puts the ball where his folks like it (did ya see Bass??..guy gotta be thrilled to know he can say "I'm hitting my spot, find me" and bingo...it's done. ) long time no see for him. Watching Rondo and Ab and Bass and how much better...even for just a game...made me feel so nice. A cutting AB, a Bass rolling onto his spot and looking and getting his shot.

I hope Danny shuts the yapper lets them play and does the rest of the signing talk behind closed doors where it belongs.

I don't wanna hear another peep until it's "We have agreed..."

SO Rondo isn't going anywhere until Danny can say he really tried and that can't happen til Summer.

Trade Sully? For who?
Seriously? Watch that guy. Who do we move him for??

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 12:15:15 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
 >:( double post

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 12:26:15 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ainges recently stated plan which is clearly a OKC model more than a Houston one (so he said)...then he needs Rondo. But he needs Rondo to play ball and really "negotiate" with his and the teams interests both given consideration.

My uneasiness was the recent trench digging which was rapid and shots have been fired..sporadic shots but it seems it has passed.

We need a PG who can possibly attract another star and yeah he sees the floor puts the ball where his folks like it (did ya see Bass??..guy gotta be thrilled to know he can say "I'm hitting my spot, find me" and bingo...it's done. ) long time no see for him. Watching Rondo and Ab and Bass and how much better...even for just a game...made me feel so nice. A cutting AB, a Bass rolling onto his spot and looking and getting his shot.

I hope Danny shuts the yapper lets them play and does the rest of the signing talk behind closed doors where it belongs.

I don't wanna hear another peep until it's "We have agreed..."

SO Rondo isn't going anywhere until Danny can say he really tried and that can't happen til Summer.

Trade Sully? For who?
Seriously? Watch that guy. Who do we move him for??

If we don't hear anything, it'll be "it's quiet, too quiet" on here.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.