Author Topic: Chad Ford: "I think it's going to be an epic trade deadline"  (Read 11966 times)

Chad Ford: "I think it's going to be an epic trade deadline"
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:25:41 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
With many NBA teams significantly out of contention and looking ahead at rebuilding around the draft, the trade deadline could see a significant amount of activity.

"I think it's going to be an epic trade deadline," said Chad Ford. "I really do think there's a huge gulf right now between the teams that are trying to compete for a title, a few teams that have struggled this year but still want to make the playoffs, and all those teams willing to write this season off. I think there's a bigger division than in years past."

Pau Gasol remains a major trade candidate, while the Philadelphia 76ers, Milwaukee Bucks and Boston Celtics could trade away some of their more talented assets.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Chad Ford: "I think it's going to be an epic trade deadline"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:39:26 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Liiiiinks?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I'm guessing we'll see a lot of rotation player Bass-level type of trades due to the parity in the West, but no blockbusters. Even Dallas sitting in the 9 spot could shore up their weaknesses and give OKC (presumably)a series.

A lot of the buyers don't have much to offer for a big splash, and players like Melo and Love, who maybe should be traded, probably won't be.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/65710/epic-trade-deadline

Also talks about DA and Rondo. Nothing new.

Hoopshype has 3 Celtics in their top trade rumor rankings (Rondo #1, Wallace #5, and Green #11) and BOS as the #1 team. It's speculation, but I'd be surprised if Danny doesn't find a deal.

http://ht.ly/teCiX

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
all he said was that Ainge wouldn't just give people away, but he would be willing to trade anyone for the right deal ...which I could have told you
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Totally epic trade deadline bro.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
From all I'm reading, all trades are most likely going to happen on draft night when everyone knows which prospects they like.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 06:50:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Maybe "epic" in terms of the number of sellers.  Unfortunately, that usually means bargain prices for the buyers, and little return on solid veterans.

It may make more sense for Danny to wait until the off-season.  I guess the only incentive to dump vets now is to tank further.  One word of caution, though:  it's important to have solid vets around when we start the rebuilding in earnest.  Look at Cleveland as an example of what happens when you stock your team with young guys without any leadership.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Maybe "epic" in terms of the number of sellers.  Unfortunately, that usually means bargain prices for the buyers, and little return on solid veterans.

It may make more sense for Danny to wait until the off-season.  I guess the only incentive to dump vets now is to tank further.  One word of caution, though:  it's important to have solid vets around when we start the rebuilding in earnest.  Look at Cleveland as an example of what happens when you stock your team with young guys without any leadership.

I agree Roy. Ainge may be better off waiting until the summer to move a Jeff Green type.

Or, Ainge could flip the script and become a buyer if there are bargain prices going on. It would be disappointing to some fans, but if Danny can pick up some good pieces without sacrificing much, he may be wise to do so.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 07:33:11 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Green and fav for asik

Or bass and bradley for asik

I would do either of those deals. Don't see Green being around in 2 years when we are trying to contend again.

The Bradley deal makes sense if Danny doesn't think he can resign AB for a reasonable contract(no more than 6mil a year)

Asik doesn't hurt our tanking chances and gives us a legit starting center .

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Danny adressed Celtic needs (avoiding luxury tax and repeater increases) with the Melo and Courtney Lee trades. Now he can sit and listen to offers and stay pat if he doesn't get enough value back.

All the noise is annoying, trade deadline can't come soon enough, but I don't think Ainge will make a trade he isn't winning.

Go Celtics!

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 09:52:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny please trade Green, AB

I don't mind Bass and Humphries staying actually

Faverani prob needs a new start also

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I suspect that a trade Ainge makes will be one of the following:
1) A veteran for a pick and a worse player on a worse contract that is not expiring
2) At least one pick going out to upgrade the current roster (Asik?)
3) A trade that no one is predicting now for a star to put next to Rondo
4) Something so minor that a lot of people are disappointed (like the purely financially-motivated trade of the expiring contract of Chris Humphries for the smaller expiring contract of Charlie Villanueva)
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I suspect that a trade Ainge makes will be one of the following:
1) A veteran for a pick and a worse player on a worse contract that is not expiring
2) At least one pick going out to upgrade the current roster (Asik?)
3) A trade that no one is predicting now for a star to put next to Rondo
4) Something so minor that a lot of people are disappointed (like the purely financially-motivated trade of the expiring contract of Chris Humphries for the smaller expiring contract of Charlie Villanueva)

Danny imo will try to clear the current roster as much as possible minus Rondo and likely the young guys like Sullinger, KO, Johnson

Bass and Humphries to me are valuable guys you can keep moving on fwd. They can be starters or come off the bench. Pretty consistent, nba bodies and bring some nice set of tools and some skills

next year i'm sure he is hoping to make the playoffs. I also don't see him keeping all the 8 or 9 picks he has in the next 4 years and trying to move up in 2014 or 2015. Maybe use it to gain another valuable vet like Phx is trying now

I'm excited to see the next steps