Author Topic: Celts / Lakers / Suns trade (win / win /win)  (Read 8657 times)

Re: Celts / Lakers / Suns trade (win / win /win)
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 05:42:18 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I agree with what a few others have said on here, it's one of the better trade ideas for quite a while. I don't like the idea of giving up Rondo even with his expiring contract next year. I actually think he'll stick around if given the chance. However, we'd have to get something good back in any trade and this is pretty good (if unprotected) and isn't an instant "no" from any of the 3 teams. Do any of them say no? Possibly. But it would take up some serious thoughts before coming to that conclusion. I've said it in other threads, if it involves Embiid, Parker, Wiggins or Exum, it has to be considered.
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 06:24:32 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So essentially Lakers have the cap space, picks, and prospects to pick up KG/Pierce from the Celtics, do you think Danny Ainge would trade those two to the Lakers of all teams?

Lakers and Celtics have a rivalry, and have been for years now. The thought of making the Lakers better, and giving him our Captain doesn't sit well in my stomach.

I think Danny would.  He doesn't seem particularly sentimental to me.  If the guy would have traded Larry (while still at the end of his prime), then I think he could trade anyone to anywhere.

I think Wyc might have had a harder time signing off, because it would have seemed like a slap at the fan base.
Ainge wanted to trade Pierce for a top pick in the 2005 draft.

No reason he wouldn't consider a similar deal for Rondo.
Sure, but that was a trade at the draft after the pick order was already decided. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 06:26:08 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If we end up in the top 3, and the Lakers end up in the top 5, I would do this trade. I think all parties would, tbh. Suns are giving up little to acquire Gasol and the Lakers mortgage the future to have a chance at winning while Kobe is still around. Meanwhile, the C's go about the rebuild with a promising youth movement.

Although I guess I don't know if it'll be possible in the offseason coz then Okafor would've already come off the books by then? If so, then I'd ask for a nice young player instead, like Alex Len or Kendall Marshall. No other names are coming to mind but there might be a few others who could be possible too. Or maybe we unload Gerald Wallace for expirings.

FWIW, Exum-Wiggins-Sully core will likely not win a lot of games next year, but I think the team could be a powerhouse a few years from now.
- LilRip

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 06:47:23 AM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
If we end up in the top 3, and the Lakers end up in the top 5, I would do this trade. I think all parties would, tbh. Suns are giving up little to acquire Gasol and the Lakers mortgage the future to have a chance at winning while Kobe is still around. Meanwhile, the C's go about the rebuild with a promising youth movement.

Although I guess I don't know if it'll be possible in the offseason coz then Okafor would've already come off the books by then? If so, then I'd ask for a nice young player instead, like Alex Len or Kendall Marshall. No other names are coming to mind but there might be a few others who could be possible too. Or maybe we unload Gerald Wallace for expirings.

FWIW, Exum-Wiggins-Sully core will likely not win a lot of games next year, but I think the team could be a powerhouse a few years from now.

Waiting would not work.  The trade would have to be done before the draft order is set, and before Okafer is traded somewhere else.  Got to roll the dice.  But think about it.  Lakers would have to be just horrible for the rest of this year.  Kobe out for at least another month if he returns at all.  No Gasol.  And Rondo is still working his way back.

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 07:13:08 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
  If Lakers lose Gasol, that pick would be top 5.

I don't know if that's true.  The Lakers aren't a very talented team right now, but Kobe / Rondo could win some games together.

I understand the desire to move Rondo for a top-5 pick.  What if that picks ends up being somewhere around 10th, though?  That doesn't seem like great value.

Top 10 pick for Rondo in this draft is a no brainer. Rondo is going to be 29 and in the NBA age is everything. If the Lakers want to trade a 1st for Rondo then let's not talk them out of their own foolish decision.

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 08:02:44 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
  If Lakers lose Gasol, that pick would be top 5.

I don't know if that's true.  The Lakers aren't a very talented team right now, but Kobe / Rondo could win some games together.

I understand the desire to move Rondo for a top-5 pick.  What if that picks ends up being somewhere around 10th, though?  That doesn't seem like great value.

Top 10 pick for Rondo in this draft is a no brainer. Rondo is going to be 29 and in the NBA age is everything. If the Lakers want to trade a 1st for Rondo then let's not talk them out of their own foolish decision.

Age is everything in the nba if you're in your mid-30s, not if you're in your 20s. Rondo's 4-5 years younger than Ray and KG were when we traded for them, he's also about the same age MJ was when he won his first title and he dominated the league for the next 7 years.

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 08:51:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So essentially Lakers have the cap space, picks, and prospects to pick up KG/Pierce from the Celtics, do you think Danny Ainge would trade those two to the Lakers of all teams?

Lakers and Celtics have a rivalry, and have been for years now. The thought of making the Lakers better, and giving him our Captain doesn't sit well in my stomach.

I think Danny would.  He doesn't seem particularly sentimental to me.  If the guy would have traded Larry (while still at the end of his prime), then I think he could trade anyone to anywhere.

I think Wyc might have had a harder time signing off, because it would have seemed like a slap at the fan base.
Ainge wanted to trade Pierce for a top pick in the 2005 draft.

No reason he wouldn't consider a similar deal for Rondo.
Sure, but that was a trade at the draft after the pick order was already decided.
Agreed, I was just affirming what Roy was saying. Ainge would trade with the Heat/Lakers/Knicks whomever to get the best deal. And he'd consider sending an all-star out in his prime too.