Author Topic: Celts / Lakers / Suns trade (win / win /win)  (Read 8653 times)

Re: Celts / Lakers / Suns trade (win / win /win)
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Stupid trade...

You're trading Rondo to the Lakers?

I would vomit, and shake my head very hard if DA ever got drunk enough to make that call..

I can't even believe this was even posted up. You seriously think giving up Rondo who like Joakim Noah, has one of the best, and cheapest contracts for a player that is considered max contract around the league, except by Celtic fans for a lousy pick that may or may not be in top 5?

Kobe would cry tears of joy.

I think this is a little harsh.  I can understand the desire to explore Rondo trades.  Remember, his contract expires next year, and he's already talked about being intrigued by free agency, so the "bargain contract" argument only goes so far.

I don't think Danny will trade him unless he's getting a "sure thing", but the idea isn't off-the-wall crazy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 11:49:06 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Only way I would do this is assurance that the Laker's pick would be a top 5 pick (which, obviously, we don't).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 11:57:06 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
If one of TE teams take Gerald Wallace and we get the suns 1st as we'll then do it.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 12:05:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Stupid trade...

You're trading Rondo to the Lakers?

I would vomit, and shake my head very hard if DA ever got drunk enough to make that call..

I can't even believe this was even posted up. You seriously think giving up Rondo who like Joakim Noah, has one of the best, and cheapest contracts for a player that is considered max contract around the league, except by Celtic fans for a lousy pick that may or may not be in top 5?

Kobe would cry tears of joy.

I think this is a little harsh.  I can understand the desire to explore Rondo trades.  Remember, his contract expires next year, and he's already talked about being intrigued by free agency, so the "bargain contract" argument only goes so far.

I don't think Danny will trade him unless he's getting a "sure thing", but the idea isn't off-the-wall crazy.

Yeah I didn't mean to say the OP was stupid. I just think the trade itself is very dumb though. I really don't like these Rondo for picks trades unless its a guaranteed top 5 pick for us.

But I do think the idea is off the wall crazy. Danny Ainge would never trade Rondo to Lakers.

Think about it hypothetically.

Lets say the Lakers have the pieces, and picks to pick up KG/Pierce last year, and KG doesn't have a no trade clause in his contract. So essentially Lakers have the cap space, picks, and prospects to pick up KG/Pierce from the Celtics, do you think Danny Ainge would trade those two to the Lakers of all teams?

Lakers and Celtics have a rivalry, and have been for years now. The thought of making the Lakers better, and giving him our Captain doesn't sit well in my stomach.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 12:10:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So essentially Lakers have the cap space, picks, and prospects to pick up KG/Pierce from the Celtics, do you think Danny Ainge would trade those two to the Lakers of all teams?

Lakers and Celtics have a rivalry, and have been for years now. The thought of making the Lakers better, and giving him our Captain doesn't sit well in my stomach.

I think Danny would.  He doesn't seem particularly sentimental to me.  If the guy would have traded Larry (while still at the end of his prime), then I think he could trade anyone to anywhere.

I think Wyc might have had a harder time signing off, because it would have seemed like a slap at the fan base.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The only way Rondo is traded for a Pick is after the Lottery or maybe even during the draft. No way DA trades away the Cs best player without knowing exactly who/what he is getting.

Like I said in the last Rondo to Lakers threat, If the Cs land a top 3 pick and the Lakers pick can get them Smart or Exum then I make the trade. A young core of (wiggins, parker or Embiid), (Smart or Exum), Sully, AB and Kelly is a great starting point for a team built thru the draft.

TP very logical thought.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 12:14:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
So essentially Lakers have the cap space, picks, and prospects to pick up KG/Pierce from the Celtics, do you think Danny Ainge would trade those two to the Lakers of all teams?

I think Danny would.  He doesn't seem particularly sentimental to me.  If the guy would have traded Larry (while still at the end of his prime), then I think he could trade anyone to anywhere.

I think Wyc might have had a harder time signing off, because it would have seemed like a slap at the fan base.

Eh, I think Danny isn't that sentimental, but I don't think trading Pierce/KG to the Lakers would be okay with Wyc who is extremely sentimental as a owner. I mean Wyc looked very upset during all the conferences, but maybe.

I just don't think this is a good trade. The Lakers with Rondo, Kobe, and a few select players may be close to the 8th seed, and that would still net us a top 10 pick which wouldn't be worth giving Rondo up for.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 01:31:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Suns in:  Gasol
Lakers in:  Rondo & late 2014 1st round pick from Suns
Celtics in:  Okafer & Lakers 2014 1st round pick

Who says "No"?

Note:  This works in the trade machine.
celtics say no.  vehemently too.

so the premise is to trade Rondo for an injured player who's expiring this year and a 1st rounder that is currently #7.  give them Rondo with Kobe returning and the Lakers could improve past 3 teams quickly and quite possibly 2-3 more ending up with a pick that's barely in the lottery.  that's extremely poor value for Rondo.

someone offered the option of also dumping Wallace and getting that other pick from PHX.  not sold on that either since dumping Wallace isn't a necessity and that pick from Phx will be late in the draft. 

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Celtics.

I mean the Celtics say no in a heartbeat. Essentially we dump an incredibly generous contract in Rondo and trade a first rounder for a first rounder? That's terrible.

Read it again.  Celts not giving up 1st rounder.  And we could lose Rondo in a year for nothing.  If Lakers lose Gasol, that pick would be top 5.

Read it again. So we gain an extra first rounder and get to keep ours. Still, big whop. Rondo is worth well more than a salary dump and a first round pick.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 02:21:14 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
TP to OP  :)

It's refreshing to see a realistic trade on here. Works for all parties and I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, I actually think the Lakers would say no as they wouldnt want to give up their lottery pick.

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
TP to OP  :)

It's refreshing to see a realistic trade on here. Works for all parties and I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, I actually think the Lakers would say no as they wouldnt want to give up their lottery pick.

THANK YOU.  I tried to put forth a trade that might make sense and be fair too all sides.  And I get slammed.  And I agree that the Lakers are the team most likely to say "No", not the Celts.  No-one is going to trade Wiggins for Rondo.  So you have to make the trade in advance and get a little lucky.  It would roughly double our ping pong balls and both teams get immediately worse.

And the Lakers would be horrible.  Kobe is not even getting evaluated by a doctor again for 3 weeks.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Just have them add Kendall Marshall in that deal & I'll say yes. Would need insurance at PG just in case we aren't able to net a PG in the draft. And that pick MUST be unprotected!

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 02:44:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I can't see making that trade as it seems too shaky for Boston given the uncertainty with the Lakers pick.  Now if Wallace was sent somewhere or another first was included, I would be more interested in it.

Maybe add Nash and Sacre to Boston and Wallace to LA. That makes a little more sense for a rebuilding Boston team by shaving the year off of Wallace (and getting a veteran PG to replace Rondo) and adding another young center.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
That trade also makes me want to vomit...Keep Rondo..Bird in the hand...
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Ainge wanted to trade Pierce for a top pick in the 2005 draft.

No reason he wouldn't consider a similar deal for Rondo.