Author Topic: Celts / Lakers / Suns trade (win / win /win)  (Read 8655 times)

Celts / Lakers / Suns trade (win / win /win)
« on: February 03, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Suns in:  Gasol
Lakers in:  Rondo & late 2014 1st round pick from Suns
Celtics in:  Okafer & Lakers 2014 1st round pick

Who says "No"?

Note:  This works in the trade machine.

Re: Celts / Lakers / Suns trade (win / win /win)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 10:45:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Celtics.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Honestly that's a pretty intriguing trade. 

I don't believe anyone would say no, though the Celtics would probably want to include at least one other play to clear some long term cap space, if possible.  That should be a goal in this trade too.

Considering how effective Gasol has been for the Lakers this season, if they didn't have him then they'd slide even further and would likely end up top 5.  If the Laker's pick is unprotected then I'd do this.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:52:45 AM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
Honestly that's a pretty intriguing trade. 

I don't believe anyone would say no, though the Celtics would probably want to include at least one other play to clear some long term cap space, if possible.  That should be a goal in this trade too.

Considering how effective Gasol has been for the Lakers this season, if they didn't have him then they'd slide even further and would likely end up top 5.  If the Laker's pick is unprotected then I'd do this.

My thoughts exactly which is why I proposed it.  Kobe loves Rondo.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
The only way Rondo is traded for a Pick is after the Lottery or maybe even during the draft. No way DA trades away the Cs best player without knowing exactly who/what he is getting.

Like I said in the last Rondo to Lakers threat, If the Cs land a top 3 pick and the Lakers pick can get them Smart or Exum then I make the trade. A young core of (wiggins, parker or Embiid), (Smart or Exum), Sully, AB and Kelly is a great starting point for a team built thru the draft.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:57:36 AM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman

Who says "No"?

Note that a 1st rounder would have to go to LA because of the Stephens rule.  They can't trade their 1st rounder unless they get one back.  Enter Pheonix.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Celtics.

I mean the Celtics say no in a heartbeat. Essentially we dump an incredibly generous contract in Rondo and trade a first rounder for a first rounder? That's terrible.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »

Offline ScubaSteve

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1

Who says "No"?

Note that a 1st rounder would have to go to LA because of the Stephens rule.  They can't trade their 1st rounder unless they get one back.  Enter Pheonix.

I think this is a good idea that could get a Rondo deal done, but it would have to be done after the lottery in order for Ainge to pull the trigger on it. It's the Stepien rule by the way not Stephens.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
Celtics.

I mean the Celtics say no in a heartbeat. Essentially we dump an incredibly generous contract in Rondo and trade a first rounder for a first rounder? That's terrible.

Read it again.  Celts not giving up 1st rounder.  And we could lose Rondo in a year for nothing.  If Lakers lose Gasol, that pick would be top 5.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 11:07:28 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think it comes down if our pick and their pick are both in the top 5. But that's a long shot. You're essentially trading Rondo now to help the enemy for a "potential top 5"

I prefer keeping Rondo. We need a leader. I rather see this season end without making any more moves and see how the offseason plays out then to rush into shipping Rondo out

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 11:08:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  If Lakers lose Gasol, that pick would be top 5.

I don't know if that's true.  The Lakers aren't a very talented team right now, but Kobe / Rondo could win some games together.

I understand the desire to move Rondo for a top-5 pick.  What if that picks ends up being somewhere around 10th, though?  That doesn't seem like great value.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman

I don't know if that's true.  The Lakers aren't a very talented team right now, but Kobe / Rondo could win some games together.

I understand the desire to move Rondo for a top-5 pick.  What if that picks ends up being somewhere around 10th, though?  That doesn't seem like great value.

Fair point.  But Kobe is not healthy.  And Rondo is not himself yet.  How many games can they win this year?  And if that pick turns out to be top 3, the Lakers would not do it.  Seems like a gamble I would take now.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Who says "No"?

Celtics.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 11:27:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Fair point.  But Kobe is not healthy.  And Rondo is not himself yet.  How many games can they win this year?  And if that pick turns out to be top 3, the Lakers would not do it.  Seems like a gamble I would take now.

Right now the Lakers have 16 wins and there are 7 other teams with 16 or fewer wins. If Kobe comes back in a few weeks and they win more games than you think they could easily finish out of the top 10. Trading Rondo for a #5 or so pick isn't a great risk, trading him for a pick that has a chance at being a good pick is a bad risk.

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
You're trading Rondo to the Lakers?

I would vomit, and shake my head very hard if DA ever got drunk enough to make that call..

I can't even believe this was even posted up. You seriously think giving up Rondo who like Joakim Noah, has one of the best, and cheapest contracts for a player that is considered max contract around the league, except by Celtic fans for a lousy pick that may or may not be in top 5?

Kobe would cry tears of joy.

Do you know who'd win the most? I'll tell you it isn't the color Green.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different