Author Topic: Eric Gordon to Celtics trade idea  (Read 5894 times)

Re: Eric Gordon to Celtics trade idea
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 10:33:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bradley is probably a better all-around player than Gordon. 

It seems odd for some reason, but every time I look at these possible Bradley replacements (like Gordon or Hayward or Waiters) I keep thinking we're just as well off with Avery.

We are not. AB or Avery Bryant has turned into a chucker this year. If he has a good game , he will go 11-22 and only score 22 points. Not many 3 point shots, rarely goes to the line, rarely passes the ball.

AB also wants 8-10 million a year. Ainge is not going to give him that deal

We have to prepare to move fwd without Bradley for the long term. Now the idea i presented is just an idea. Not one i'm praying for

Eric Gordon has scored several 30 plus point games this year. He is still young and very skilled (contract is a definite bummer).

IF danny wanted to try to make the playoffs, i would think Gordon and Stimsma would give us a better chance then AB/Bass.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:39:13 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 10:48:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It seems odd for some reason, but every time I look at these possible Bradley replacements (like Gordon or Hayward or Waiters) I keep thinking we're just as well off with Avery.

We are not. AB or Avery Bryant has turned into a chucker this year. If he has a good game , he will go 11-22 and only score 22 points. Not many 3 point shots, rarely goes to the line, rarely passes the ball.

We have to prepare to move fwd without Bradley for the long term. Now the idea i presented is just an idea. Not one i'm praying for

Eric Gordon has scored several 30 plus point games this year. He is still young and very skilled (contract is a definite bummer).

IF danny wanted to try to make the playoffs, i would think Gordon and Stimsma would give us a better chance then AB/Bass.

You watch Bradley play all the time and see his flaws and you're comparing that to the highlights of other players. It might be true that Gordon's scored some 30 point games this year. It's also true that his per36 scoring is almost identical to Avery's. Also, we don't know what kind of contract Bradley's going to get next year, Davis was hoping for a $10M or so a year contract when he was a free agent and ended up signing a $3M contract with the Celts. We do know that Gordon gets much more than that for the same production.

In any case, here's a comparison of the 4 players I mentioned so far this year. Take a look and tell me, when you consider that Bradley's a much better defender than any of them, which one is a slam dunk upgrade over Avery.

http://bkref.com/tiny/YOycD

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 11:01:46 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
not a fan of gordon. i always thought he was over rated and the dude is made out of glass. ill give a low ball offer of wallace,bogans, a bucket of fish and 20 grand. take it or leave it pelicans. what a terrible name for a basketball franchise.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 11:08:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

You watch Bradley play all the time and see his flaws and you're comparing that to the highlights of other players. It might be true that Gordon's scored some 30 point games this year. It's also true that his per36 scoring is almost identical to Avery's. Also, we don't know what kind of contract Bradley's going to get next year, Davis was hoping for a $10M or so a year contract when he was a free agent and ended up signing a $3M contract with the Celts. We do know that Gordon gets much more than that for the same production.

In any case, here's a comparison of the 4 players I mentioned so far this year. Take a look and tell me, when you consider that Bradley's a much better defender than any of them, which one is a slam dunk upgrade over Avery.

our team defense is pretty good. AB helps, but we have still ended up losing enough games with him starting. And i do blame him with some of the games we lost. A player of his calibre should not be taking more than 10-12 shots a game. But he is taking alot more like he thinks he is a deadly scorer

He can't shoot thress, rarely cuts to the basket anymore, doesn't even still as of today understand the concept of the pick and roll.  He is not the future SG for our team imo

We don't have to take a risk on Gordon, but i hope AB is traded soon

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 11:26:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

our team defense is pretty good. AB helps, but we have still ended up losing enough games with him starting. And i do blame him with some of the games we lost. A player of his calibre should not be taking more than 10-12 shots a game. But he is taking alot more like he thinks he is a deadly scorer

He can't shoot thress, rarely cuts to the basket anymore, doesn't even still as of today understand the concept of the pick and roll.  He is not the future SG for our team imo

We don't have to take a risk on Gordon, but i hope AB is traded soon

Sure, we lose games with Avery starting, just like we would with those other guards. But he's an all-defense level defender, if you think he helps the defense a little then you'd end up thinking those other players *hurt* the defense. Also, Bradley hits 36% of his threes, which is the league average for shooting guards. Gordon hits just under 39% of his threes, so if they both took 3 three pointers a game you'd get an extra made basket from Gordon every 15 games or so.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 12:23:56 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Eric Gordon is the kind of guy who is worth the MLE to a contender if they need a scorer. At $15M you expect New Orleans to pay to get rid of him. One of the worst contracts in the league for a guy with chronic injuries, poor defense, and good but not great offense. They would give him away if they could.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 12:27:37 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
For perspective, Eric Gordon and Jeff Green have nearly identical production as scorers (16 points on 53% TS). Gordon makes $5M more per year, is a much worse defender, and a major health risk. And many consider Green overpaid.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 12:55:02 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I agree with much of what's been said here.  Bradley right now is pretty much giving the same type of production as Gordon offensively, only he's younger, possibly more athletic and likely hasfarmore upside (due to his youth).

There's a simple factor to consider here.  Gordon's best asset is his scoring, it's his bread and butter - the one talent that keeps him in the league.

Bradley's best asset is his defense.  His reputation as an offensive player comes in a distant second too his defense, yet his offensive production is on par with Gordon.  And the money he's lookingfor isabout half of what Gordon is due.  And he's younger.

Kind of a no brainer.   

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 02:58:08 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

For the record, I'd trade Bradley for Hayward.

EG, however, has always been overrated for me. Yeah, he can score in bunches, but he's such a terrible piece to build around IMO (and he's getting paid like he's a piece to build around).
- LilRip

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 03:12:35 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
AB or Avery Bryant has turned into a chucker this year. If he has a good game , he will go 11-22 and only score 22 points. Not many 3 point shots, rarely goes to the line, rarely passes the ball.

Several points here. First AB isn't a "chucker". He's on a team with virtually no offensive options and he's undersized at his position. Green is gun shy, Sully is undersized and we have had no true PG to speak of. Let's not cast an unfair moniker on AB just because he's been in the midst of a rebuild.

Second, AB may want 8-10M/yr but he's not going to get it. He's probably worth about what Courtney Lee is. 20M/4yrs or 18M/3yrs sounds about right.

Third, I doubt Danny would part with a 2014 pick for anything short of an all-star. Certainly not for the corpse of Eric Gordon.

I'm with Roy on this one. New Orleans has to takes back Wallace but I'd be willing to trade the Clipper 1st in 2015, top-10 protected.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n4eun6g

We have most of that money tied up in Wallace anyway and we can send him to NO by trading them a 1st round pick. They get the pick for taking Wallace and they get AB for Gordon.

I'm pretty nonplussed about this trade so if NO said no I'd be just as happy to keep AB and the pick. I do think Gordon is worth taking a flier on. He has a very troubling injury history but it's not like we're getting production out of Wallace.

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 05:34:43 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Eric Gordon is the kind of guy who is worth the MLE to a contender if they need a scorer. At $15M you expect New Orleans to pay to get rid of him. One of the worst contracts in the league for a guy with chronic injuries, poor defense, and good but not great offense. They would give him away if they could.

Gordon + Rivers for Wallace + Bogans would save the Pelicans a little money