Author Topic: The Suns are exploring a trade to acquire Pau Gasol  (Read 9583 times)

Re: The Suns are exploring a trade to acquire Pau Gasol
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 10:22:59 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I would think that the Lakers might demand Bledsoe, as they are said to be HOT on his trail win his contract expires.

I doubt LA lets Gasol go for just Okafor and picks.  I really doubt that.  They HAVE to get pieces for Kobe to compete over the next 2+ years.  Draft picks usually don't make you a contender in two years time.

Smitty77

He makes just under $20 million, is 33, and has an expiring contract: the Lakers are not going to get a return much better than financial relief and draft picks.  The teams that would a) be interested in Gasol and b) have the cap space to absorb his contract aren't going to surrender any serious pieces for him.

That's said, they're in Los Angeles - they don't need to acquire the players they need through trade.  They're a premier free agent destination.

My point is that LA wants to compete in the next two years.  Getting a mid to late first rounder or two does NOTHING to help them in the next two years!!!  I bet LA might like one of the Morris brothers and/or Channing Frye and/or Len.  That is IF they are high one any of those players.  I will be shocked if LA takes Okafor and mid to late first rounders.  To me, that just does NOT fit with I ASSUME they will try to do with the team in Kobe's last two years.

Getting a first back for Gasol does more for the team than not trading Gasol and letting him walk, which might happen.  Since the Lakers have traded their 2015 and 2017 first-round picks, an extra first gives them a trade asset for improving the team.  Maybe you can package it with Nash's contract if he decides to retire and holds off long enough for the Lakers to flip him to someone looking for cap relief.

This.  The Lakers might want actual players, but the Suns are not going to give them any.  It's either this or just allow Gasol to walk in the offseason since the trade deadline is approaching and there aren't many other teams that would be able to feasibly make a deal.

The only reason the Suns can even do this is because they have a trade exception.

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 11:07:31 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Just for reference, read this article for an idea as to the possible matches the Lakers could have for Gasol:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/11/25/5132854/pau-gasol-destinations-where-could-he-get-dealt

Cross Chicago and Cleveland off that list now as a result of the Deng trade.  There are very few teams left outside of Phoenix, Dallas, and Charlotte that can realistically facilitate a trade - and it's not like Dallas and Charlotte can (and would) offer a significantly better deal for Gasol.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 12:27:40 AM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I don't get this for the Suns. You get half a year of Gasol before he can walk, you likely give up a first rounder, and you help the Lakers get (almost) out of the luxury tax. The Lakers will say "thank you" for the pick and savings, tank harder for a higher pick of their own and then sign Bledsoe to a massive offer sheet in the summer. It seems short-sighted and there are better and younger players they could go after with their 4 first rounders.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 01:14:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lakers will most definitely let Gasol walk at the end of the season. 

Even with Kobe's extension, they'll have max money to offer a free agent this summer by letting Gasol walk.  Max money that will probably go to LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony... or used to absorb Kevin Love (they will also likely have a top 10 pick). 

So ANYTHING they get for Gasol right now is a bonus.  Okafor's expiring + a pick is enough.  Just gives the Lakers more tankability and more assets they will inevitably trade for Kevin Love when he demands a trade home to Los Angeles.

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 03:16:19 AM »

Offline demiurg

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
The Lakers are not gonna get anything more than Okafor for Gasol from the Suns.

Guy who broke multiple Suns trades/signings in last years:

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo987
The Suns would not give up a first round pick for Gasol only Okafor because it adds 8 mill in payroll and subtracts 13 off LAs books.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 07:03:58 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
That's posturing.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 08:48:10 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
The Lakers didn't acquire Bynum from the Cavs because they wanted more than just financial relief.  I can't see them acquiring just Okafor, who isn't nearly the financial relief as Bynum, and not getting at least 1 first round pick or valuable asset. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 08:55:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Lakers didn't acquire Bynum from the Cavs because they wanted more than just financial relief.  I can't see them acquiring just Okafor, who isn't nearly the financial relief as Bynum, and not getting at least 1 first round pick or valuable asset.
Yeah, the question is will they accept the Pacers pick which is on track to be bottom 3 in the first round?

All the reports were that they wanted significantly more than that in prior trade discussions.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 09:20:58 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
If Kevin Love is not playing for the Lakers in the future, I be totally shock
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 09:35:01 AM »

Offline demiurg

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
1. Maybe the Cavs liked Deng more than Pau. Who knows?
2. Or maybe the Lakers were hoping they would get more closer to the deadline and overplayed their hand.

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 09:46:03 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
2. Or maybe the Lakers were hoping they would get more closer to the deadline and overplayed their hand.

I agree. While I think Phoenix probably would have no issue throwing in the Indiana pick and would expect that to happen, I wouldn't be shocked if it's straight up for Okafor for the reasons stated.

to expand on #2. The Cavs were pretty much over the barrell and had to move Bynum and move him quickly. The Suns don't have to make a deal and if they do make a deal, they have a lot more options than the Cavs had. Time was running out on Cleveland. Now, if the Lakers want to get something, anything, for Gasol, time is running out on them. Financial relief might be the best they can get.

Also, the financial benefits of this trade are actually closer than they appear since most of Okafor's salary is being covered by insurance.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

I agree. While I think Phoenix probably would have no issue throwing in the Indiana pick and would expect that to happen, I wouldn't be shocked if it's straight up for Okafor for the reasons stated.

to expand on #2. The Cavs were pretty much over the barrell and had to move Bynum and move him quickly. The Suns don't have to make a deal and if they do make a deal, they have a lot more options than the Cavs had. Time was running out on Cleveland. Now, if the Lakers want to get something, anything, for Gasol, time is running out on them. Financial relief might be the best they can get.

Also, the financial benefits of this trade are actually closer than they appear since most of Okafor's salary is being covered by insurance.
80%, but his full contract still hits on the cap and LA is still in luxury tax land post trade, thus are paying double for the 3 million or so they are over (post trade).  If LA wanted true financial relief they would have just acquired Bynum and waived him, but they wanted more than just true financial relief.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
am i the only one who thinks LA should be the one giving up draft picks?

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 12:44:18 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Yes? As Okafor is injured, Gasol is infinitely more valuable than him at this moment.  Gasol helps the Suns, even if only marginally; Okafor literally cannot help the Lakers.

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Yes? As Okafor is injured, Gasol is infinitely more valuable than him at this moment.  Gasol helps the Suns, even if only marginally; Okafor literally cannot help the Lakers.

Feel the same. Okafor the player doesn't help the Lakers, but his contract surely does. The financial gains/savings for them have definite value.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague