Author Topic: The Suns are exploring a trade to acquire Pau Gasol  (Read 9584 times)

The Suns are exploring a trade to acquire Pau Gasol
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Suns are exploring a trade to acquire Pau Gasol,
according to ESPN.com.

Re: The Suns are exploring a trade to acquire Pau Gasol
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Okafor and picks will definitely be involved. I hope Suns don't give up Alex Len.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:57:14 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Here is the LINK to the article.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
darn it! There goes one potentially great outlet for Bass and Green.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 07:17:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Yep. But Houston is another possible trading partner.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Okafor and picks will definitely be involved. I hope Suns don't give up Alex Len.

The Suns are 29-18 through their own merit - and this is without Bledsoe.  The Suns don't have much of any reason to surrender any of their assets outside of draft picks just for Gasol; they're doing perfectly fine without him.  Not to mention, his contract is expiring, he's 33 years old with a lot of mileage, he's got an injury history, and there's no guarantee he'd stay in Phoenix past this season, so why compromise their future by getting rid of their prospects for what could amount to nothing more than a rental?

It'll probably end up really similar to the Deng trade: Okafor, conditional first-round pick, and maybe a second-round pick or two for Gasol.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 07:30:09 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
because teams ALWAYS rescue the Lakers, ALWAYS!!!!

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I would think that the Lakers might demand Bledsoe, as they are said to be HOT on his trail win his contract expires.

I doubt LA lets Gasol go for just Okafor and picks.  I really doubt that.  They HAVE to get pieces for Kobe to compete over the next 2+ years.  Draft picks usually don't make you a contender in two years time.

Smitty77

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

The Suns are unlikely to trade for Bass, and have never been a realistic trade partner for Green. McD is looking for vets on short contracts, not long ones.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 07:45:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I would think that the Lakers might demand Bledsoe, as they are said to be HOT on his trail win his contract expires.

I doubt LA lets Gasol go for just Okafor and picks.  I really doubt that.  They HAVE to get pieces for Kobe to compete over the next 2+ years.  Draft picks usually don't make you a contender in two years time.

They will have enough cap space where they could trade Gasol for draft picks, bring back Gasol in the summer for whatever they would have re-signed him for anyways, and still have the cap space to chase after a good free agent, so they could basically be where they are if they don't do any trade, plus draft picks.

Or maybe they offer one of the ETO guys a max contract and don't bring back Gasol unless he agrees to a deal which allows that.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Smitty77

He makes just under $20 million, is 33, and has an expiring contract: the Lakers are not going to get a return much better than financial relief and draft picks.  The teams that would a) be interested in Gasol and b) have the cap space to absorb his contract aren't going to surrender any serious pieces for him.

That's said, they're in Los Angeles - they don't need to acquire the players they need through trade.  They're a premier free agent destination.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Thinking the same thing. Gasol for Okafor, Len and Goodwin works.

Really hope that doesn't happen, but if the Suns can do it without picks involved that might be preferable to them.

God, I hate those Fakers.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 08:36:33 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Smitty77

He makes just under $20 million, is 33, and has an expiring contract: the Lakers are not going to get a return much better than financial relief and draft picks.  The teams that would a) be interested in Gasol and b) have the cap space to absorb his contract aren't going to surrender any serious pieces for him.

That's said, they're in Los Angeles - they don't need to acquire the players they need through trade.  They're a premier free agent destination.

My point is that LA wants to compete in the next two years.  Getting a mid to late first rounder or two does NOTHING to help them in the next two years!!!  I bet LA might like one of the Morris brothers and/or Channing Frye and/or Len.  That is IF they are high one any of those players.  I will be shocked if LA takes Okafor and mid to late first rounders.  To me, that just does NOT fit with I ASSUME they will try to do with the team in Kobe's last two years.

Smitty77

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 09:26:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Phoenix - Gasol
L.A. - Okafor, Asik
Houston - Indiana 1st, Phoenix 1st, 8.4 million trade exception
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 10:11:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Smitty77

My point is that LA wants to compete in the next two years.  Getting a mid to late first rounder or two does NOTHING to help them in the next two years!!!  I bet LA might like one of the Morris brothers and/or Channing Frye and/or Len.  That is IF they are high one any of those players.  I will be shocked if LA takes Okafor and mid to late first rounders.  To me, that just does NOT fit with I ASSUME they will try to do with the team in Kobe's last two years.

Getting a first back for Gasol does more for the team than not trading Gasol and letting him walk, which might happen.  Since the Lakers have traded their 2015 and 2017 first-round picks, an extra first gives them a trade asset for improving the team.  Maybe you can package it with Nash's contract if he decides to retire and holds off long enough for the Lakers to flip him to someone looking for cap relief.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference