Author Topic: ORL/BOS Trade Idea for the future of both teams  (Read 1841 times)

ORL/BOS Trade Idea for the future of both teams
« on: February 02, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
So here's my idea: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k3doqk2

On the surface it looks like a lateral trade with neither team getting any real advantage or even really helping. Trust me I'm well aware of that fact, but when you look ahead it could help Boston alot next season and in 2016 while it could help Orlando in about 3 years while adding some assets along the way (which I have to assume is their strategy).

Why for Boston?
It only works if we get a pick of either Wiggins/Parker/Embiid (so please don't start a war about how it won't work without them), it's a very risky payoff trade, while it's a relatively low risk trade in terms of hurting us from where we're currently sitting.

Afflalo is an above average two-way SG that we lack and need to truly be a contender and he's locked in on a reasonable contract for his type of production for the next 3 years all in his prime. Nelson is overpaid for what he brings, but he'd be the best backup PG we've had in a long time and he expires next year (perhaps would resign on the cheap if we're contenders) and he could help limit Rondo's minutes during the regular season.

If we get Wiggins/Parker our SF position is taken care of for the most part and we need to find a decent C to really make us legit. We're looking at a lineup of:

Rondo/Nelson/Pressey
Afflalo/FA
Wiggins or Parker/Wallace
Sully/Olynk
FA or trade/Fav

With Embiid we obviously solve our C problem and you can replace Parker/Wiggins with quite a few veteran SF's who will be UFA's this year (Deng would be my 1st choice, but Pierce, Granger, and Marion also fill that void). I personally believe if we end up in either scenario we  are at least in the mix. If we don't get the pick those contracts don't hurt us any more than Bass and Green and we get rid of the AB signing conundrum.

Why for Orlando?

They get AB who is young enough to mesh with their core and will be there when Oladipo is really hitting his stride 3-4 years from now. They seem to want to play Oladipo at PG, and he's big enough to guard most SG, may pair well with AB in the backcourt. They're looking to unload Nelson and by taking back Bass they swap expiring contracts but they now can take their time figuring out if they want Bass or Big Baby and trade off one of their expirings next year which should be easier to move then a backup PG with an 8mill deal.  Afflalo is better then Green but they have similar contracts and in 2015-16 when they expire Orlando may be coming into their own and Green may be very valuable to someone trying to contend as someone who can guard the Lebron's, Carmelo's, Durant's, and George's of the league (something afflalo can't do effectively).

Also this move opens up more minutes and shots for Oladipo which would seem to be their main priority in building for the future. In 3 years Orlando could be a very scary team with the youth they have maturing plus a few more lotto picks.

So that is my very long explanation trying to cover all the angles which may be blasted by CBers, with that said: BLAST AWAY FORUM BLOGGERS!!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:23:16 PM by cletus1985 »

Re: ORL/BOS Trade Idea for the future of both teams
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 05:14:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It makes sense for them but less for us.  I think Ainge is not trying to win now and get younger this does the opposite.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
lousy deal for the C's unless Orlando throws in their unprotected first this year.  still not sure that's enough because Green, Bass and AB may put Orlando at the tale end of the lottery. 

I don't see Afflalo as the SG on a good playoff team and Jameer is sliding downhill quickly. 

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 06:35:42 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
It makes sense for them but less for us.  I think Ainge is not trying to win now and get younger this does the opposite.

That's a fair assessment, but if we're sticking with Rondo and we got a top 3 pick our core players Rondo, Afflalo, Sully would all be in their prime (both beginning and ends) in about 3 years when the rookie would finally be piecing his career all together. It would be a great window of opportunity and breed a winning culture for our young guys. Which Ainge has to account for also.

Not saying I disagree with you, but it's definitely a another path to consider.

lousy deal for the C's unless Orlando throws in their unprotected first this year.  still not sure that's enough because Green, Bass and AB may put Orlando at the tale end of the lottery. 

I don't see Afflalo as the SG on a good playoff team and Jameer is sliding downhill quickly. 

I think Afflalo is a fine SG on a good playoff team with the right pieces which we would have in this scenario. He's a 3 and D guy who can also create some offense if needed. Nelson is definitely on the downside, but he's a more capable PG then Pressey is at the moment and could help keep Rondo's regular season minutes down to avoid further injury next year.

You can disagree with this trade and that's fine, but please don't throw out ludicrous proposals like Orlando throwing in an unprotected 1st in this years draft. Afflalo is the best player in the trade and no one outside of Rondo on this team is going to produce anything close to an unprotected 1st in this years draft from a nonplayoff team.