Author Topic: Give up Our Pick and Make the Playoffs Trade Idea  (Read 4143 times)

Give up Our Pick and Make the Playoffs Trade Idea
« on: February 02, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Here's a very doable way to make the playoffs, but first our new lineup:

Rondo, Bayless, Pressey
Chris Johnson, Bayless
Luol Deng, Chris Johnson
Sully, Donatas M., Oly
Asik, Humphries, Donatus M., Oly

Boston out:  Bass, AB, Green, Faverani, our First (top 6 protected in case we suffer injury)
Houston out: Asik, Donatus M. Garcia, Brewer
Cleveland out:  Deng

Boston in:  Asik, Deng, Donatus M.
Houston in:  Bass, AB, Faverani
Cleveland in:  Green, Gardia, Brewer, Boston First (top 6 protected in case of injury)

Houston needs a legitmate backup SG/wing.  AB is perfect for them.  He would allow them to go with a Lin, AB, Harden backcourt when Parsons rests.  Bass has played with Dwight, plays good tough D in the playoffs against big SF's as well.  If they wanted Humphries instead the trade would have to be adjusted.  AB is an excellent player.  Don't tell me this is lopsided toward Boston.

Cleveland gambles that we can't quite squeak into the playoffs, netting them a pick between 7 and 14.  They tank hard without Deng, getting a shot at the top 3 or top 6 with their own pick.  If this trade isn't good enough for them we give up the Atlanta pick to them as well.

Boston:  Deng is 28 and a great player imo.  We keep Rondo and Sully and add two major pieces to them.  We become a very attractive place for a Stud starting SG with Chris Johnson off the bench....or some such thing.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l49tb8q

Edit:  feel free to call this a knee-jerk trade reacting to a single vicotry...but I'd be interested in comparing it to other non-tank ideas...

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:23:51 PM by wiley »

Re: Give up Our Pick and Make the Playoffs Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 05:09:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
How would this help us in the long run?   We win a series and bounce out.   Not wise long term and not getting the big picture.

I also think CLE laughs at this one.   I don't think they would trade Deng for Green and a pick.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 05:30:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo, Bayless, Pressey
Chris Johnson, Bayless
Luol Deng, Chris Johnson
Sully, Donatas M., Oly

Boston out:  Bass, AB, Green, Faverani, our First (top 6 protected in case we suffer injury)

Cleveland in:  Green, Gardia, Brewer, Boston First (top 6 protected in case of injury)

Houston needs a legitmate backup SG/wing.  AB is perfect for them.  He would allow them to go with a Lin, AB, Harden backcourt when Parsons rests.  Bass has played with Dwight, plays good tough D in the playoffs against big SF's as well.  If they wanted Humphries instead the trade would have to be adjusted.  AB is an excellent player.  Don't tell me this is lopsided toward Boston.

Cleveland gambles that we can't quite squeak into the playoffs, netting them a pick between 7 and 14.  They tank hard without Deng, getting a shot at the top 3 or top 6 with their own pick.  If this trade isn't good enough for them we give up the Atlanta pick to them as well.

Boston:  Deng is 28 and a great player imo.  We keep Rondo and Sully and add two major pieces to them.  We become a very attractive place for a Stud starting SG with Chris Johnson off the bench....or some such thing.

Edit:  feel free to call this a knee-jerk trade reacting to a single vicotry...but I'd be interested in comparing it to other non-tank ideas...

We could probably keep the pick, Green and Bradley and just trade something like Bass and a future pick for Asik.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Rondo, Bayless, Pressey
Chris Johnson, Bayless
Luol Deng, Chris Johnson
Sully, Donatas M., Oly

Not a playoff team unless you really think Chris Johnson is going to be a star.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
That's a one and done playoff roster. Why would we want to mortgage some of our future for that?

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Cleveland makes out like a bandit in that deal.  A lottery pick AND Jeff Green for Luol Deng?  I don't see that C's team necessarily making the playoffs.  Asik would help in the middle and Deng isn't Mr. Offense.  I like Chris Johnson but not as a starting SG on a playoff team.  (I think he's making AB look expendable as the 3rd or 4th guard in the rotation though)

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 06:36:41 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Rondo, Bayless, Pressey
Chris Johnson, Bayless
Luol Deng, Chris Johnson
Sully, Donatas M., Oly

We could probably keep the pick, Green and Bradley and just trade something like Bass and a future pick for Asik.

I'd like it a lot better if that were doable...

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 07:01:21 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Pointless trade for us.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo, Bayless, Pressey
Chris Johnson, Bayless
Luol Deng, Chris Johnson
Sully, Donatas M., Oly

Not a playoff team unless you really think Chris Johnson is going to be a star.

It would be if it were earlier in the season. We're 5 games out with 33 games left, we're running out of time if we're turning things around for the season.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Man I would be bummed if we made those trades.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Best case scenario is we are one and done in the playoffs and have two highly paid free agents over the next two years to resign.

Most likely scenario, we improve just enough to ensure that we lose our pick.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 07:30:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This is some funny stuff.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 08:29:55 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Sorry OP I just don't like it.

I'd take Asik for Green though, IMO that makes us better next year and hinders us this year, all the more reason to do it hehe.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't see it.

Cleveland just added Deng, and didn't get better.

The Bulls dropped Deng, and didn't get worse.