Author Topic: Celtics / Suns trade that makes too much sense for both sides  (Read 7149 times)

Celtics / Suns trade that makes too much sense for both sides
« on: February 01, 2014, 06:00:29 PM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Celtics In:  Okafor and 2014 Minnesota pick via Pheonix
Celtics Out:  Bradley, Bass, Bogans

Why for Celts?  It cements a top 5 pick for Boston (tank), and adds a pick in the 12-14 range (unless Minny makes the play-offs, in which case it would be in the low 20s).  Celts would have 3 picks in  the 1st round.  1-5, 12-14, and 18-20.  And Bradley may be lost for nothing at end of year anyway.

Why for Minny?  Bradley and eventually Bledsoe would be the best defensive backcourt in the NBA.  They can let Bradley walk, or match any offer.  Flexibility.  They would LOVE AB in Pheonix.  And Bass can help too.

I would have included Green but I am assuming his contract would be difficult to swallow.

Re: Celtics / Suns trade that makes too much sense for both sides
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Essentially Bogans and Okafor are in there to make figures work so ignore them for now... would you do AB and Bass for a mid-teen to early 20's pick? I wouldn't. In fact, I'd almost prefer to let AB walk
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:20:57 PM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Essentially Bogans and Okafor are in there to make figures work so ignore them for now... would you do AB and Bass for a mid-teen to early 20's pick? I wouldn't. In fact, I'd almost prefer to let AB walk

I would.  Why let him walk for nothing?  In fact, I'd do it for the Washington pick (which Pheonix also owns). 

Would you rather end up with the 8-9th pick in the draft and see AB walk, or end up with the 3rd pick (Parker) and the mid 1st round pick as a bonus?

No brainer.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 06:35:57 PM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I know cap space only means something if it's actually used to sign a FA, but in this case with all the young players we already have on our roster, is a 20 something draft pick in a "top heavy" draft going to be better that having the cap space to sign somebody of value?

I'm not advocating letting AB walk. My point is we can get better value and if that is the ONLY option we have as a trade, it'd have to be considered but would by no means be a "no brainer".
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Why for Celts?  It cements a top 5 pick for Boston (tank), and adds a pick in the 12-14 range (unless Minny makes the play-offs, in which case it would be in the low 20s).  Celts would have 3 picks in  the 1st round.  1-5, 12-14, and 18-20.  And Bradley may be lost for nothing at end of year anyway.

Why for Minny?  Bradley and eventually Bledsoe would be the best defensive backcourt in the NBA.  They can let Bradley walk, or match any offer.  Flexibility.  They would LOVE AB in Pheonix.  And Bass can help too.

I would have included Green but I am assuming his contract would be difficult to swallow.

Phoenix's success this year is based around the play of Dragic and Beldsoe playing next to each other, so AB wouldn't be a starting player. This means that PHO would potentially be trading a lottery pick for a bunch of bench players, I don't think it fits.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 06:52:03 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Actually you wouldn't be getting a pick 12-14. You might get a pick #14 if you are lucky. The Minnesota pick is protected 1-13 and then 1-12 for the next two years then becomes 2 second round picks. If the season ended today, the pick wouldn't convert unless Memphis lucks out and moves from #14 to the top 3 pushing Minny down to #14.

The Celtics would be better off asking for the better of the Washington/Phoenix picks. You will definitely get a pick in the 2014 draft and not risk it turning into second rounders.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:52:59 AM by Depalma2002 »

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:06:42 AM »

Offline demiurg

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
The Suns wouldn't be interested in Bogans and especially in Bass and his larger and longer contract. The Suns are still under the cap so they can trade a pick for AB straight up without any salary going back to Boston.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 01:33:42 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Dragic and Bledsoe is the future back court for the Suns, not Bradley and Bledsoe. Why would they take Bass's contract as well? Doesn't make sense.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 03:52:33 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
smart trade

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 07:48:04 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Wouldn't do this with Bradley.  He's too young and has too much upside to throw away for a late first round pick.  Even if he never develops beyond the player he is now (17 points, 5 rebounds per 36 minutes, 45% FG, 40% 3PT, former All-Defensive first team) you're still unlikely to replace that with a 20th overall pick.

The only reason Boston got Sullinger at 20 was because teams were scared off by his bad back, and even still Sullinger is nowhere near the elite future superstar that people on CB seem to think he is.  He's an inconsistent, undersized PF who lacks athleticism who might one day be a very good player...but still has a long way to go.  It's debatable as to whether he is any more valuable to Boston than Bradley is right now.

I'd only trade Bradley for a pick if it's top 6 or so, and no team is offering that.

I also wouldn't do it for the expiring contract - Bradley is expiring himself, and Bogans is non-guaranteed so he's basically an expring too.  This makes no sense other than to get rid of Bass, and Bass' deal contract ($7M/2) isn't THAT ugly that you'd take such a one sided deal just to get rid of him.

If the deal contained Jeff Green and somebody else in return for Okafor and a late first rounder, then I'd do it.  Green's deal is big enough ($9M) that it's worth clearing, and at his age he doesn't have much upside...you'd take the gamble for a ~20th pick and a nice expiring contract.   For Bradley though? No.  I think we could get a better return for him if we were more patient. 

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 09:51:57 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The 2014 draft is purported to be stacked at the top, then drop off sharply after the Top 10 picks. And the Cs should be able to trade Bass for an expiring deal before the deadline (but nothing more, IMO), so along with Bogans and EO, they're basically non-factors here.

So essentially, you're trading Bradley for a mid-first rounder (of which we already have one in 2014), when he's a mid-first rounder that's panned out nicely in the first place.

Not a good plan for the Cs.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 10:02:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would probably make the trade but I see Phoenix as not doing so.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 10:23:28 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
The 2014 draft is purported to be stacked at the top, then drop off sharply after the Top 10 picks. And the Cs should be able to trade Bass for an expiring deal before the deadline (but nothing more, IMO), so along with Bogans and EO, they're basically non-factors here.

So essentially, you're trading Bradley for a mid-first rounder (of which we already have one in 2014), when he's a mid-first rounder that's panned out nicely in the first place.

Not a good plan for the Cs.

Doesnt it really depend on how much money we want or need to pay Bradley? Bradley has panned out nicely but would you rather roll the dice on a mid first again or pay Bradley 3 years 21 million, or lose him for nothing?

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Is our team next year going to be an average age of 21? Building a team full of young players is how you stay in the lottery for a long time. You need a mix of good veterans along with young players or else we'll be the Cavs who've had 2 #1 picks and other lottery picks and are not going anywhere and cares about winning. Bradley is keeper. He's still young but hard worker who's going to continue to get better. You don't trade that for a mid first round pick when you already have 2 other first rounders and multiple picks in the next few drafts.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »

Offline WMark

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
The Suns aren't going to be able to pay Dragic and Beldsoe going forward, so why not target Dragic?  He could easily replace Rondo, Freeing the Cs to deal Rondo for an impact player to pair with Dragic.  Dragic should have made the All-Star team this year.