Top-8 pick for Rondo?

Yes. No-brainer
10 (23.8%)
Yes, but I'd need a bit more.
6 (14.3%)
No. Rondo is more valuable.
26 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: If Lakers pick falls in the top-8, would you trade Rondo for it?  (Read 14679 times)

If Lakers pick falls in the top-8, would you trade Rondo for it?
« on: February 01, 2014, 01:54:09 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Thinking along the lines of LA landing in the top-8. They just gave Kobe a huge deal and he will absolutely want to compete in his final years. It's no secret Kobe loves Rajon...

"You don't want Rondo? Send him my way," Kobe declared. "I love everything about him. Everything. I love his attitude, I love his chippiness, his edge, his intellect, his know-it-allness. All of it. That's what makes championship players.

Also the recent "Butthole" compliment.

They would also have enough cap space to absorb him outright I believe, giving Boston a large TPE as well. They could bring back Gasol or also possibly convince Melo to join them (not sure the numbers on that one).

Would you? Why? Why not?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:19:06 PM by BleedGreen1989 »
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: If Lakers pick falls in the top-5, would you trade Rondo for it?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would in a second. But lakers will not do that

with #5 they can draft Smart or Exum instead

If lakers had like the 8th pick, no smart, exum then yes, they might go ahead with the offer

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Yes I would. It would screw the Lakers for the future.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:10:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would (especially if our pick is Top 5 also) but the Lakers would never do it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
No team would trade a top 5 pick in this draft for Rajon Rondo.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 02:18:20 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Well perhaps I can open it up to top-8 pick?

My belief is that LA will trade their pick if it doesn't fall in the top-3. They won't draft a teenager to come in and try and help Kobe win a championship. Can't prove it but just my theory.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: If Lakers pick falls in the top-8, would you trade Rondo for it?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
If we can get Exum in the deal it might benefit both sides.  I don't think the Lakers can afford to be patient with a young player with Kobe nearing the end, and a win now move for Rondo would keep Kobe happy.   We are going to have so many young players, and unless Ainge can make some major moves in the next year or so he might have to explore moving Rondo.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Certainly.

But the cost of the alcohol required to get Jim Buss drunk enough to do it would make the deal cost-prohibitive.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:33:52 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
If we can get Exum in the deal it might benefit both sides.  I don't think the Lakers can afford to be patient with a young player with Kobe nearing the end, and a win now move for Rondo would keep Kobe happy.   We are going to have so many young players, and unless Ainge can make some major moves in the next year or so he might have to explore moving Rondo.

This is the entire premise of my idea. So if people disagree with this, that's completely fine, but makes a conversation moot.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
No team would trade a top 5 pick in this draft for Rajon Rondo.

Unless Tim takes over as the Lakers' GM.

;D
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
We could draft Exum or Smart, trade Rondo for Vonleh and then trade Sully + one of our mediocre players + a couple picks for an all-star level FA.  I could live with that scenario, as unlikely as it is

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'd need a top-5 pick, and even then I'd hate it. Not cuz I don't think Rondo is worth a top-8 pick, that's debatable..but because I don't wanna see him in LA. They gotta pay a premium.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 02:50:02 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
At first I voted No because Rondo is too valuable. But then I got me thinking, What if Rondo doesn't come back the same player? What if Exum/Smart could be better? Getting Exum/Smart and Embiid/Wiggins/Parker would make us a great young team for the future. This makes me think of how the Sonics/Thunder got Durant and Westbrook. Except we'd be doing it in the same draft. Fun stuff for the future boys!

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 03:09:22 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Lakers don't have to trade their pick to get top talent. They can throw a max deal at Melo, James or Bosh in the off season, pick in the top-5 and surround that cast with a solid bench of ring chasers. Working on the assumption they get Bosh (the lesser of the 3) for $17M/yr ($70M/4yrs or $85M/5yrs), their pick falls outside of the top-3 and they decide to pick Smart and re-sign Pau for $10M/1yr with a team option for a 2nd.

Nash/Smart
Kobe
Marion/Rush/Ariza @VetMin
Bosh
Pau

Any competent ball handler will thrive with Kobe, Bosh and Pau (See: Mario Chalmers). Smart will have a very successful first season "backing up" Nash averaging 37mpg. Oh and if they can pawn Nash off on someone as an expiring in the off season they can probably sign Danny Granger for $16M/2yrs. This is life in Lakerland.

That is the rub with the current NBA. Large markets have a marked advantage in attracting FAs because of their opportunity for endorsements. Bosh can take a little less than max $, Pau can take a little less than his market value and the Lakers can add 2-3 very talented pieces around Kobe all by virtue of the LA market.

Oh yeah and if Smart doesn't pan out they can always take a swing Rondo if FA after the season.

All that said I'm not sure I trade Rondo for anything outside of a top-3 pick. I think Rondo might be one of those rare loyalty guys who you have to keep when you get them. KG was one, Tim Duncan is another. Guys who marry all-NBA talent with a sense of pride for the team they play for. From what I can tell Rondo is that guy. I think he is smart enough to understand the business and still stay loyal to his fan base. You keep those guys.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 03:13:16 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Nooooo..I wouldn't give the Lakers a bag of popcorn or anything
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin