Author Topic: Celtics and Pistons trade idea  (Read 6991 times)

Re: Celtics and Pistons trade idea
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yuck.

Jennings is a terrible basketball player. Saying he's a better shooter is a stretch as he's a career 37% FG shooter. He plays zero defense and is owed $24mill so that doesn't help Boston.

Rondo has significantly more value than that to Boston IMO.

When i say shooter i mean jump shots. Jennings is a much better jump shooter and 3 pt shooter than rondo. He is a better shooter than many in the nba. The reasons his eff looks bad is that he shoots 2-3 on avg bad shots. Like with a man in his face or circus shots near the basket that wont likely go in.

Jennings also is an underrated passer if he wants to. Has several 10 plus assist games this yr.

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 03:21:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If the rumors Detroit wants Rondo have any validity, then Ainge needs to move them off their reluctance to deal Drummond. If they don't move, it's a non-starter.

I'm not advocating for this trade, but you're reaching. Drummond's trade value is in an entirely different universe from Rondo's. They'll never be the principles in an actual NBA trade.

Trade values aside, I don't see why people are so excited about Drummond. He's a good player, and may very well have a higher trade value than most point guards, but I don't know that he's a true franchise player. He's athletic so get gets some points in transition and from putbacks/tip-ins but aside from that (in a half court game) he's basically no different than Perk or Asik on offense. It's like building your team around Dwight Howard if Dwight was worse on defense and had an even worse post game than he does.

Drummond has to still get better. But you cant teach avg 13 rebounds a game , 10 pts and 2 blocks a game. Look at his stats this year. He has like 5 plus games near 20 rebounds. He is a beast

You can't teach 13 rebounds a game I agree. But when they're in the half court on offense from what I've seen they pretty much ignore him. He gets the occasional basket if he cuts to the basket but other than that he rarely sees the ball. This may change, but it has to change a lot for him to be a franchise player.

Dont think anyone considers him as a franchise guy. But right below it. Plus how hard is it to get a good center in the nba?

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 03:29:43 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Yuck.

Jennings is a terrible basketball player. Saying he's a better shooter is a stretch as he's a career 37% FG shooter. He plays zero defense and is owed $24mill so that doesn't help Boston.

When i say shooter i mean jump shots. Jennings is a much better jump shooter and 3 pt shooter than rondo. He is a better shooter than many in the nba. The reasons his eff looks bad is that he shoots 2-3 on avg bad shots. Like with a man in his face or circus shots near the basket that wont likely go in.

Jennings also is an underrated passer if he wants to. Has several 10 plus assist games this yr.

He's a career 35% 3pt shooter. Not terrible but nothing great.

If you think Brad can transform his shot selection then that's fine, but I don't really agree.

Again, he's overpaid in my eyes.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 03:33:45 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Jennings is pretty much the last guy in the league I would want as a starting point guard.  Part of shooting is knowing a good shot from a bad shot... Rondo is far superior as a shooter in that context.

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Yuck.

Rondo's been in the league 7 years prior to this year. From 3-9 feet he's been 40% or higher in 4 seasons. From 10-15 feet he's been 40% or higher 3 times, and 4 times again from 16-23 feet. Through last year Jennings had never been over 40% for the season from 3-9 feet or from 16-23 feet and he's only been over 40% from 10-15 feet once. he's not a good shooter by any stretch of the imagine. He's not that great a passer either.

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 04:08:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Jennings is pretty much the last guy in the league I would want as a starting point guard.

Well, let's be fair.  Avery Bradley would be a worse starting point guard.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Jennings is pretty much the last guy in the league I would want as a starting point guard.

Yes.  So would Carlos Boozer.

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 04:11:41 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Ten year rebuilding plan? 

If the Celtics trade Rondo, they need to get back sure things. 

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Or Perk. OTOH, it would certainly be entertaining to watch.

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 04:20:21 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

Or Perk. OTOH, it would certainly be entertaining to watch.
Absolutely!

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »

Offline Kc2135

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 35
If you can somehow get Jennings and Monroe the. I do it. First Jennings always plays good in Boston and he is actually having a great assist year and is under a reasonable contract. As long as Monroe would agree to an extension I would do it.

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 05:30:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If you can somehow get Jennings and Monroe the. I do it. First Jennings always plays good in Boston and he is actually having a great assist year and is under a reasonable contract. As long as Monroe would agree to an extension I would do it.

The issue with Monroe is , he wouldn't be part of the celts long term plan. He wants 10 plus million a year. And if you can't find a trade partner by the time he can get offers, your doomed

I rather have the 2014/2015 1st which is top 8 protected for 2014 , top 1st protected 2015 and no protection 2016 (for bobcats).

This mean even without Rondo bc the pistons should finish better than the 8th place the bobcats will get the pick for 2014. If not better for us, and we hit a jackpot with a top 8 pick. Likely case we get a pick for 2015

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yea you're right I don't like that trade at all!

Monroe or Drummond would have to be part of it or it's a dead issue. Seems Detroit would be more willing to move Monroe, which in the case IMO would be a bad idea for them. A team with Rondo/Smith/Drummond who would put the ball in the basket?

Monroe can shoot and pass, 6'11" 250 lbs he can play center all day. He's averaging 14 and 9 and would IMO have better numbers on our team anchoring the middle.

Depending on what he's looking for in his next contract he would be a good pick up for us.

big rotation of Monroe/Sully/KO could be a good start if Rondo doesn't sign an extension.