Author Topic: Celtics and Pistons trade idea  (Read 7003 times)

Celtics and Pistons trade idea
« on: February 01, 2014, 03:33:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
To Pistons: Rondo, Bass, Wallace
To Celtics: Jennings, Charlie V, Stuckey, 2015 1st

I know many won't like this trade idea. But a few reasons why it could happen imo

1. Rondo is a better pure pg then Jennings. But Jennings is cheaper, has not been through a major injury before and is a better shooter. If Stevens can help Jcraw overachieve, i think he could do wonders for Jennings. He will like having Jennings ability to shoot the ball

2. It looks like a trade where we don't get enough back, until you look at what contracts the Pistons have to eat vs what we have to. They will have to pay Bass and Wallace for a few more seasons while we will clear some major money starting next year.

3. 2015 pick might be bad if the Pistons operate at peak levels. But in the end its still a 1st round pick. Maybe pistons stay mediocre, maybe they go down with major injuries. You just never know.  Plus if Danny has the 6th spot for the 2014 draft but wants to move up a notch or two to get his player then having this pick will be worth it.

Again i know many have said its Drummond or nothing. But no way the pistons are giving him up for Rondo.  There is also a risk to bringing in Jennings , a player that would now be bounced around three teams in two years. But he is still very young, and imo too talented to be as inefficient as he is.  Stevens will fix the issue

I don't think you can get back the world back for Rondo now or ever and it might also be a bad move or fit to have him lead the team to mediocrity. A possible bad fit with Brad Stevens. An expensive fit, giving him near max with the team going nowhere anytime soon.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:42:12 AM by triboy16f »

Re: Celtics and Pistons trade idea
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 04:12:48 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I don't like getting Jennings back as an asset.  if it was three way trade with Jennings going to a third team and us getting something else, that may intrigue me.

Also, if Detroit finishes outside the bottom 8 picks, Charlotte gets the pick.  I'd want some kind of caveat in the deal for the possibility of that happening.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 04:57:39 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
You're right, many won't like this trade idea. We clear cap space for what reason? No max player is going to sign as a free agent to play with Jennings and Sully.
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:03:52 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I know many won't like this trade idea. But a few reasons why it could happen imo

1. Rondo is a better pure pg then Jennings. But Jennings is cheaper, has not been through a major injury before and is a better shooter. If Stevens can help Jcraw overachieve, i think he could do wonders for Jennings. He will like having Jennings ability to shoot the ball

2. It looks like a trade where we don't get enough back, until you look at what contracts the Pistons have to eat vs what we have to. They will have to pay Bass and Wallace for a few more seasons while we will clear some major money starting next year.

3. 2015 pick might be bad if the Pistons operate at peak levels. But in the end its still a 1st round pick. Maybe pistons stay mediocre, maybe they go down with major injuries. You just never know.  Plus if Danny has the 6th spot for the 2014 draft but wants to move up a notch or two to get his player then having this pick will be worth it.

Again i know many have said its Drummond or nothing. But no way the pistons are giving him up for Rondo.  There is also a risk to bringing in Jennings , a player that would now be bounced around three teams in two years. But he is still very young, and imo too talented to be as inefficient as he is.  Stevens will fix the issue

I don't think you can get back the world back for Rondo now or ever and it might also be a bad move or fit to have him lead the team to mediocrity. A possible bad fit with Brad Stevens. An expensive fit, giving him near max with the team going nowhere anytime soon.

Jennings is a pretty poor pg overall. He's not a horrible three point shooter but overall he's a less efficient scorer than Rondo. If you think Stevens can just coach players to be more efficient scorers he should start working with the current players on the roster as we're near the bottom of the league in scoring efficiency.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 07:42:54 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

But a few reasons why it could happen imo

One major reason why it can't happen

Detroit can't trade a first round pick until 2018.

Besides that there is no guarantee that the pick would even be that good. They are a borderline bottom third/middle third team right now. I don't see this trade as changing that in any major way.

Basically you are using Rondo to dump Bass and Wallace's contracts. I don't like giving up assets to execute a salary dump and I especially do not like dumping major assets to do it.

If the rumors Detroit wants Rondo have any validity, then Ainge needs to move them off their reluctance to deal Drummond. If they don't move, it's a non-starter.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:50:00 AM by Depalma2002 »

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 08:49:50 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
If the rumors Detroit wants Rondo have any validity, then Ainge needs to move them off their reluctance to deal Drummond. If they don't move, it's a non-starter.

I'm not advocating for this trade, but you're reaching. Drummond's trade value is in an entirely different universe from Rondo's. They'll never be the principles in an actual NBA trade.

I don't think Ainge would do the deal as it's proposed, but I do think there are variations he would have to consider if Dumars persists in inquiring. Example:

Rondo, Wallace and Green for CV, Stuckey, Monroe, KCP and Mitchell

Yes, I know Monroe plays Sully's position. Ainge would see him more as an asset than a building block. And I doubt he has any interest in Jennings.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:02:17 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

I'm not advocating for this trade, but you're reaching. Drummond's trade value is in an entirely different universe from Rondo's. They'll never be the principles in an actual NBA trade.

I don't think Ainge would do the deal as it's proposed, but I do think there are variations he would have to consider if Dumars persists in inquiring. Example:

Yes, I know Monroe plays Sully's position. Ainge would see him more as an asset than a building block. And I doubt he has any interest in Jennings.

I know asking for Drummond is reaching. Which is why I said Ainge would need to get them to move or it's a non-starter.

I wouldn't expect the Pistons to budge and if they did, we'd be the ones adding picks and not them.

There is nothing else on the Pistons that I would be willing to deal Rondo for at this time.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 12:11:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Quote from: ssspence lileastmic=69409.msg1615211#msg1615211 date=1391262590

Monroe for rondo wont happen. Monroe has little to no future with the celts. We likely wont give him the deal he wants, and he will leave without us getting compensated

Kcp is another option but jennings is considered more valuable, pistons need to trade him anyways and celts need a pg.

Jennings main issue imo is that he takes 2-3 shots too many. Still at the end of the night he ends up with 7-17 like stat.  Which isnt that bad. At least 2 or 3 are three point shots.

Jennings took it to us the last time we played the pistons. Also I still remember tgat one game he scored 52. Kid has skills. But again if he just shot 2 or 3 less bad shots a game and turned those possessions into assists he will be a better pg. Like a mike conley jr

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Anything I do with pistons involving rondo.

Has to include Drummond, KCP and a 1st this year unless they don't have one then we need a future 1st and they have to somehow take Gerald Wallace say in exchange for Villanueva and another expiring

So all in all. Trade probably won't happen.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 01:48:20 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Monroe for rondo wont happen. Monroe has little to no future with the celts. We likely wont give him the deal he wants, and he will leave without us getting compensated

Kcp is another option but jennings is considered more valuable, pistons need to trade him anyways and celts need a pg.

I don't think you're following the reason to do the deal if you're calling it "Monroe for Rondo". It's basically the same reason you don't take Jennings back in it (who by the way I don't agree is "considered more valuable").

As for Monroe, he's a RFA -- the Cs can get value for him if they decide to trade him.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Anything I do with pistons involving rondo.

Has to include Drummond, KCP and a 1st this year unless they don't have one then we need a future 1st and they have to somehow take Gerald Wallace say in exchange for Villanueva and another expiring

So all in all. Trade probably won't happen.

Tell , who in the world would offer that many pieces for Rondo? Plus take on Gerald Wallace contract?

Rondo was not even this valuable at his peak. Everyone knows that without the big three he is not the same player.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Trade values aside, I don't see why people are so excited about Drummond. He's a good player, and may very well have a higher trade value than most point guards, but I don't know that he's a true franchise player. He's athletic so get gets some points in transition and from putbacks/tip-ins but aside from that (in a half court game) he's basically no different than Perk or Asik on offense. It's like building your team around Dwight Howard if Dwight was worse on defense and had an even worse post game than he does.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Yuck.

Jennings is a terrible basketball player. Saying he's a better shooter is a stretch as he's a career 37% FG shooter. He plays zero defense and is owed $24mill so that doesn't help Boston.

Rondo has significantly more value than that to Boston IMO.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 03:13:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Trade values aside, I don't see why people are so excited about Drummond. He's a good player, and may very well have a higher trade value than most point guards, but I don't know that he's a true franchise player. He's athletic so get gets some points in transition and from putbacks/tip-ins but aside from that (in a half court game) he's basically no different than Perk or Asik on offense. It's like building your team around Dwight Howard if Dwight was worse on defense and had an even worse post game than he does.

Drummond has to still get better. But you cant teach avg 13 rebounds a game , 10 pts and 2 blocks a game. Look at his stats this year. He has like 5 plus games near 20 rebounds. He is a beast

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Drummond has to still get better. But you cant teach avg 13 rebounds a game , 10 pts and 2 blocks a game. Look at his stats this year. He has like 5 plus games near 20 rebounds. He is a beast

You can't teach 13 rebounds a game I agree. But when they're in the half court on offense from what I've seen they pretty much ignore him. He gets the occasional basket if he cuts to the basket but other than that he rarely sees the ball. This may change, but it has to change a lot for him to be a franchise player.